PDA

View Full Version : 2000 point O&G for tournament

BigbyWolf
11-05-2009, 19:57
Going to be playing in a tournament in a couple of weeks, standard rules, but you have to take one special character. As I'm playing O&G it has to be my general, so I've decided to go for Gorbad Ironclaw. The list is as follows:

Gorbad- 310
Orc Big Boss- Light Aromur, Shield, Boar, Sword of Battle, Iron Gnashas- 135
Orc Big Boss- Light Aromur, Shield, Boar, Shaga's Screamin' Sword- 140
Night Goblin Shaman- 2 dispel scrolls- 100
Total- 685

13 Black Orcs- Shields, Full Command, War Banner- 245
13 Black Orcs- Shields, Full Command- 220
13 Black Orcs- Shields, Full Command- 220
Giant- 205
Total- 890

20 Night Goblins- Short Bows, 2 Fanatics- 110
5 Spider Riders- Mus- 71
5 Spider Riders- Mus- 71
6 Squig Hoppers- 90
2 Pump Wagons- 80
Total- 422

Grand Total- 1997

Basic plan is for each character to go in a unit of Black Orcs and deploy in the centre with the giant. Gorbads 18"/6" Ld 10 will be very useful, and he's no slouch in combat either! Both big bosses are tooled for combat, one has 4 KB attacks, and the other could have a potential 7 S8 attacks.

The giant will hopefully draw a bit of fire and if he makes it in to combat he could do a bit of damage. The one benefit of these units are that they are all immune to animosity, which means my enntire main battle-line should do what I want, when I want...which any Greenskin will tell you doesn't happen often!

The squigs are a luxury unit and can be deployed to screen, harass, or go after weaker units/ lone characters. The spider riders will be used to flank/ screen the Black Orcs, making use of the wall-crawler ability. The Night Goblins will take one flank, annoying things with their fanatics, while the Pump Wagons take the other flank (unless I'm playing High Elves, in which case they'll be deployed where they can best reach the obligatory Sword Masters, and the Squigs will flank in their place).

The only way I could put an good magic defence is by going all out and taking Mork's Waagh Banner, te Staff of Stealin, and a couple of Shamans, so I decided not to bother and have just taken the cheapest caddy I could. I've been running a BoC Doombull army recently with a similar caddy, and it's worked pretty well (even beating a magic heavy VC army), and TBH I've quite enjoyed not having to worry about the magic phases.

This is the first Black Orc-heavy army I've run in a long time, normally I don't take any at all, and am fighting the temptaion to swap them out for units of Orcs or Savage Orcs of equal value.

I'd apprieciate any suggestions/ criticisms you may have...

sirbone
11-05-2009, 22:02
Units of 13? That's such an odd number, and they won't be getting much of a rank bonus, and they'll die very very very quickly from missile fire (which you'll be sure to come up against in tournaments (think gunlines...)). I dunno really, but I would perhaps have one big unit of black orcs (25 should do it- even that is a HUGE points drop) and you should whack a load of standard shield and choppa boys in there.

You don't have the numbers that you need in a tournie.

selone
11-05-2009, 22:51
heya which tournament is this mate?

rtunian
12-05-2009, 06:12
you should make 1 big boss a bsb, even if you don't put any banner, you still want the bonuses.

since you want to go with black orc theme... imo, you should drop 1 of your spider units and up da immortalz (grimgor's unit) to 19, and drop the champion at least from grimgor's unit, but if you drop all three of the champs you can upgrade one big boss to a bsb

as for odd numbers, 2 of the 13s have a cavalry big boss joining, so that puts them at 15. grimgor's is the only one in the list that's short of a complete rank.

i agree that your army seems small. it's probably the lack of boyz ;) the problem with a blorc force like this is that it's very susceptible to magic and war machines. sure they might only kill a few at a time, but you honestly can't spare a single one. you don't have a square to spare!

Daicon
12-05-2009, 08:53
you should make 1 big boss a bsb, even if you don't put any banner, you still want the bonuses.

since you want to go with black orc theme... imo, you should drop 1 of your spider units and up da immortalz (grimgor's unit) to 19, and drop the champion at least from grimgor's unit, but if you drop all three of the champs you can upgrade one big boss to a bsb

as for odd numbers, 2 of the 13s have a cavalry big boss joining, so that puts them at 15. grimgor's is the only one in the list that's short of a complete rank.

i agree that your army seems small. it's probably the lack of boyz ;) the problem with a blorc force like this is that it's very susceptible to magic and war machines. sure they might only kill a few at a time, but you honestly can't spare a single one. you don't have a square to spare!

Grimgor isn't in the list, his general is Gorbad Ironclaw, who is mounted on a boar and will fill out the last Black Orc unit nicely.

I like the list because I love Black Orcs, but I'm not sure how well ot would fair in a tourney setting. You're going to get shot up, and you really don't have the numbers to spare.

I'd probably cut back on some of the BO and get yourself some boys, errr, lots of boys.

rtunian
12-05-2009, 14:34
Grimgor isn't in the list, his general is Gorbad Ironclaw.

talk about a reading fail! grimgor and gorebad don't really look that much alike. guess i shouldn't post late at night or after drinking :p

OrcsandGoblins123
12-05-2009, 14:54
Orcs and goblins rule!!!

BigbyWolf
12-05-2009, 19:55
And taking Gorbad gives me a BSB without using a hero slot...

As far as I'm aware there's only one or two all out shooty armies in the tournament (it's being held at a club I used to go to, and its going to be the first games I've had in months...Damn Hartlepool and it's lack of games clubs!) but I still agree about the small units, originally I was keen on the idea of no animosity, but TBH animosity doesn't wreck my plans usually, so I could probably swap them out for Orc Boyz- 3 units of 23, 1 of them Big Un's with Morks Waagh Banner, which leaves 39 points to play with...any suggestions?

davidvonhauser
12-05-2009, 19:56
Orcs and goblins rule!!!

Love your work.

Err.. oh ontopic:

Well.. Considering you could actually take 2 units of FIFTY normal Orc boyz (choppa and shield) for the same points as your 3 black orc units with points to spare...

Would it not be a better option to do that and take black orc BB's for each? Sure you're gonna take a couple of casualties if you roll those inevitable 1's... BUT YOU'VE GOT 100 BLOODY ORCS.

I'd like to see someone mess up that battle line.

EDIT: well there you go you've already seen the light before I could even post *shrugs*

BigbyWolf
12-05-2009, 20:01
Sure you're gonna take a couple of casualties if you roll those inevitable 1's... BUT YOU'VE GOT 100 BLOODY ORCS.

And another player embraces his inner Skaven...:D

Still...I do like the idea of 100 Orcs...