PDA

View Full Version : Gondor 1500pts (Osgiliath themed)

Lardidar
11-05-2009, 19:22
Hey all,

Looking for a little input to my Gondor army themed (vaugely) around the defence of Osgiliath.

Boromir
Faramir
'Isuldur' (stand in for Captain Cirion, future luitenant of the Osgiliath veterans)

6 Warriors of Gondor (boromir)
6 Warriors of Gondor (Isuldur)
3 Archers of Gondor
3 Archers of Gondor
6 Knights of Gondor - Shields, Banner (Faramir)
3 Knights of Gondor - Banner
3 Knights of Gondor - Banner

3 Rangers of Ithilien

This all clocks in at 1450 ... so I would have 50 points left to spend.

I was thinking I could either.

a) Avenger bolt thrower
b) 2 companies of axemen
c) a 50pnt fortune
d) for ***** and giggles, swap Isuldur for Erkenbrand and buy 4 companies of Hobbit archers.

Any ideas or comments on the list in general?

12-05-2009, 20:23
At 1500 pts, I think your infantry formations are too big and your cavalry too small (maybe).

Depending on your model availability, I'd suggest turning those 2 x 6-company formations into 3 x 4-company formations.

Also at 1500 you could try getting by with 2-company formations of archers (or just 1 x 3-company) and use the points to beef up one of your WoMT formations to 6 companies and make it Osgiliath Veterans with Boromir. Both thematic and hitty.

My experience is that cav are too fragile below 4 company strength. Either 2x6 companies or one big at 6 and the other at 4 and use the surplus for something else.

Personally, I really don't like a long-dead Isildur in a list with Boromir and Farimir. Why not consider swapping him for Erkenbrand and 4 companies of Rohirrim? Much more thematic AND useful. (Ignore terror) You'd need to cash in your small units of Knights to get there.

Regarding the extra points, a bolt thrower is a practical choice. 2 companies of any infantry save Indomitable Grey Company is probably not enough. Find enough points (and models) for 3 companies or forget about it.

I haven't tried a Fortune yet, but there are a few I've got my eye on. Try swapping between that an the bolt thrower and see how you fare.

Good luck

Nu Fenix
13-05-2009, 00:02
I disagree with you Avatar, as six strong companies are good at this points level. It means you can get more companies into combat against the enemy, can survive being shot at and counter-attacks, and have a solid chance in a war of attrition against most other armies.
I use a six strong block of Easterlings and they deal out alot of damage whilst being able to take it back and last long enough to be useful.

Also, Isuldur isn't an issue thematically, as he said he is treating it as Cirion, as he wanted the flexibility to have him not tied down to Osgiliath Veterans, who would not be veterans at that time.

Don't put Faramir with the Knights, as he would be in the second company, and so would die before the Banner does, which is far too risky.

For your final 50 points, I would pick option C - A single Avenger isn't worth while to me, and should be used either as a pair, or the full three. You can get a decent choice of Fortunes with that 50 points, which I go into great detail over in the article linked in my sig [cheap plug!].

13-05-2009, 00:42
I'll defer to NP as my sense is that he's got more games under his belt than I do. Also, I missed the note about Isildur as a proxy for Cirion.

I disagree with you Avatar, as six strong companies are good at this points level. It means you can get more companies into combat against the enemy, can survive being shot at and counter-attacks, and have a solid chance in a war of attrition against most other armies.
I use a six strong block of Easterlings and they deal out alot of damage whilst being able to take it back and last long enough to be useful.

Also, Isuldur isn't an issue thematically, as he said he is treating it as Cirion, as he wanted the flexibility to have him not tied down to Osgiliath Veterans, who would not be veterans at that time.

Don't put Faramir with the Knights, as he would be in the second company, and so would die before the Banner does, which is far too risky.

For your final 50 points, I would pick option C - A single Avenger isn't worth while to me, and should be used either as a pair, or the full three. You can get a decent choice of Fortunes with that 50 points, which I go into great detail over in the article linked in my sig [cheap plug!].

Nu Fenix
13-05-2009, 00:50
Suprisingly, I only have two games under my belt, unfortunately :( Everytime I go to my local GW to try and arrange a game, either no-one plays WOTR or they can't make it to our game due to real life issues.

I am built primarily on a combination of theory, and reading every post made here in the LOTR sub-forums. I just try to not post on every thread, so I don't seem like I'm addicted.

So what I say may be completely wrong, but bigger formations seem better in WOTR for armies where it is cost effective, which includes Gondor.

Lardidar
13-05-2009, 09:25
Well thanks for the pointers guys.

I picked up 4 boxes of men and 2 of knights yesterday so the army is underway.

The reason for not having the Osgiliath vets is that at the point in time my list is themed they have not yet won the battle, so I don't think they will be vets yet.

I think the fortune could be the best way to go ... its a shame I don't have a terror causer because I love the auto fail fortune, but restoring Boromir to 6 might is a handy option too.

Open to any other ideas, thanks for all help so far.