PDA

View Full Version : Do you like Kits with Extras or the Bare Basics?

Brimweave
11-05-2009, 22:31
My question is as stated above, do you like Kits with Extras or the Bare Basics?

This basically is when you buy a GW kits for your fantasy models and you get the sprues out, do you prefer having it so it has lots of little extra details you can use if you want and extra bits or do you prefer it have the bare minimum where it has enough to make the available choices but also means you can make more models from the kit.

I just got this from when I started making dwarfs coming from Necrons. With Necrons it was just the bare minimum but when I opened the Dwarf Quarrellers/Thunderers kits I was amazed by how many bits and different options you could have and the bits available.

Sergeant Uriel Ventris
11-05-2009, 22:34
I love all the gribbly bits. I actually think they need to do entire sprues of extra bits for conversions, modeling, terrain, etc.

WarlockOMork
11-05-2009, 22:36
Despite the fact that i love all the lil bits and pieces.

I could live without if that would put the price down/mean more models for the same cost.

TheDarkDuke
11-05-2009, 22:42
I'm saying it depends. If the extras include all the weapons the unit has options to then yes. if its just a bunch of random stuff with zero purpose then not at all. And with the price of goldswords i may switch over to just give me the basics as no plastic kit is worth that much for 10 measly little humans:rolleyes:.

Seth the Dark
11-05-2009, 23:02
I love having the extra bits for conversion opportunities but would love to have more models for better value.

arachnid
11-05-2009, 23:04
As much as i love the gratuitous bits flying out of the wazoo of every frame these days, i would rather have the basics and get more models for a lower price.

then just bits order the fancy stuff.

As an example, the Warrior box for the Dark elves:

16 men with parts to make 1 big or 2 small units, each with FC.
plus the crossbow parts that make up almost half the sprues.

Lets say we change that to 20 men, sprues contain enough to make 1 command group, 20 spears and 20 shields.

You can now cram in 4 more models and probably slash the price by 15% and would still turn a profit.

Bits order online for Xbow-frames, like we can now for the shields.
added together, the price to make 20 xbow-men woldn't need to be over what we pay today.

There's only so much i can do with all those spare parts after all..

selone
11-05-2009, 23:06
Give me the flippin' proper amount of models and less bits. I'd much rather have 20 spearmen than 16 and a whole slieu of options etc.

Stuffburger
11-05-2009, 23:39
What Selone said. But failing that since GW is going to price things on an arcane combination of in-game points cost, how much it "thinks the models are worth" and actual cost to produce (maybe) I might as well get some bits with my overpriced box.

carldooley
12-05-2009, 00:54
change the rules to reflect what is in a box. for instance, anyone who has ever wanted to make a full genestealer swarm with feeder tendrils would have to purchase 4 boxes of genestealers to accomplish this, as there are only 3 in a box. add to that the fact that when you are forced to go online and order bitz, it invariably is a high demand item and nearly impossible to get a hold of.

Lord Dan
12-05-2009, 01:26
I love my bitz. I hate paying for them, since these days they apparently cost more than the models themselves.

BrazenSix
12-05-2009, 01:47
I love the extra bits, but perhaps not as many as there are now. Tones down slightly would be optimal for me.

Amnar
12-05-2009, 02:19
I convert a lot, so the extra bits are always welcome.

Laughingmonk
12-05-2009, 02:53
Must. Have. Bits.

TheSil
12-05-2009, 04:22
Extra bits are great in most cases
very good example: the chaos spawns - so many options to make a spawn and after assembling 4 completely different ones I had soo much bits left to convert chosen warriors, chaos knights, characters and even chaos demons with it... I used almost everything from the spures
many leftovers can be used for good conversations and I also liked the fact that most new kits contain so many extra heads to choose from. this may of course also be because I could use most leftover heads to upgrade older models

then again not all bits are useful and these bags/pockets or knifes that sometimes are on spures I really never use... see no sense in the extra work that you don't even see... who would notice a little bag hanging on a belt of a rank and file trooper?

on a sidenote I think the "less bits -> more models -> less money spent" is a pretty romantic view, but who knows...

The Clairvoyant
12-05-2009, 09:12
i used to love having all the extra bits. But then you need somewhere to put them. I have a couple of boxes with small individual dividers so i can separate out left and right arms for ghouls, spare heads for skeletons, plus all the little extras like gravestones, chains etc. I have a whole box dedicated to various shields.
I have a box full of various bases. I have boxes of spare horses.

and then i have my 40k orks which generates lots of extras too.

so yes it is nice to have extras, but storing them by leaving them on the sprue is impractical and storing every item together is also impractical.

Damn you GW! :D

Kodamas
12-05-2009, 09:41
I voted Depends:

Core Choices should just come basic. With enough heads to keep things fresh but just the bare bones of the models and their options.

Special and Rare Choices should come with lots of nice added features as should monsters and characters. With lots of different options in these areas despite having to buy less boxes would give you lots of chances to add something special to your army.

Of course I am also a supporter of GW doing army botz sprues. Not weapon options or shields but just random items that you can dot about your bases or indeed get for the terrain maker in all of us.

Velsharoon
12-05-2009, 09:49
I never bother with all the extras and bits on the sprue they dont do anything for me :(