PDA

View Full Version : so... DE are coming back?

Kiras of the flame
12-05-2009, 03:34
I noticed recently that there's a good amount of DE players joining the fray nowadays... I noticed this starting around the advent of 5th Edition when I saw a player use a Dark Eldar raider force against a space marine force (couldn't tell the victor because like his army, he disappeared without a trace...)

I've been noticing more Dark Eldar propaganda and more mentions of horrid shadows fighting in the darkness... I've even seen their names appear in tournament lists... (though I never face them somehow...)

The numbers are still low though for most people to notice... but I've noticed a lot of dark eldar players are more active here too...

Will a dark shadow loom over the webway? Or am I seeing horrid apparitions???

Emilio101
12-05-2009, 03:41
DE simultaneously have one of the coolest backstories and the worst looking minis of any race in the 40k universe (IMO). GW know they stand to make a lot of money if they give this race a decent update so I wouldn't be surprised.

Kiras of the flame
12-05-2009, 03:59
DE simultaneously have one of the coolest backstories and the worst looking minis of any race in the 40k universe (IMO). GW know they stand to make a lot of money if they give this race a decent update so I wouldn't be surprised.

well If they spruce Vect a bit... they might make him awesome beyond belief...

And if they gave him more women to indulge himself in XD

Malice&Mizery
12-05-2009, 04:56
I can really see them losing nearly all of their special characters, and that'd be a shame as I like Lelith :(

Voleron
12-05-2009, 05:15
I can really see them losing nearly all of their special characters, and that'd be a shame as I like Lelith :(

What? The current trend for SCs in Codecies is to have more and more of them, not less.

Besides, GW have stated that they won't invalidate any model they currently produce through codex rules, so at the very least Vect is staying, as well as the other SCs that they still produce the models for.

Raibaru
12-05-2009, 05:46
The army has never been properly supported. Although it is new for 3rd edition, the Tau instantly had more lore to back them up when they launched then the Dark Eldar did having been out for something like 5 years?

I agree with the above guy. Their background is quite good and suitably dark. There's just not enough of it. I hope they do them justice whenever (if ever) they get updated.

So many questions need answers. Arhra should be found, the incubi should not be as clouded in mystery, they should be portrayed properly as raiders/pirates and less like chaos worhsippers or Dark Elves in space, etc etc.

Their models are absolutely horrid too. Only models of theirs I ever truly liked were the anorexic incubi and their punishers :/

Ddraiglais
12-05-2009, 06:17
What? The current trend for SCs in Codecies is to have more and more of them, not less.

Besides, GW have stated that they won't invalidate any model they currently produce through codex rules, so at the very least Vect is staying, as well as the other SCs that they still produce the models for.

I believe it was stated that they won't invalidate any army. I'd put money on the Space Pups losing their Leman Russ. A lot of Chaos players lost cult termies and such. AL lost cultists. IW lost the basilisk...

I do agree that with the current trend, it's a safe bet that SCs will stay in whatever codex though.

IAMNOTHERE
12-05-2009, 06:32
Last I heard was that the designers ideas wern't up to scratch and the concepts kept getting sent back.

Not sure if this is good or bad news.

Nachturne
12-05-2009, 06:49
The last time I played 40k was during 3rd edition. I just recently got back into it, now that I finally have the free time again. I was going to play my old IG since I still had a few models left but I felt like they are just way to common. I wanted to play something that people don't have pre-made list for combating. Something that would stand out against the repetitiveness of space marines. So I bought my self some DE and have been happy with the decision ever since.

Their models are absolutely horrid too. Only models of theirs I ever truly liked were the anorexic incubi and their punishers :/

LOL!!! ya i never thought about it before but they are just increadibally skinny compared to the other models.

The_Outsider
12-05-2009, 07:27
Last I heard was that the designers ideas wern't up to scratch and the concepts kept getting sent back.

Not sure if this is good or bad news.

That is pretty old news.

We know DE are being worked on.

We know the models are being sculpted but have no ETA from them or the codex. It seems everyone with inside knowledge is getting different dates.

BaloOrk
12-05-2009, 08:19
Not all models are crap, i like armoured boobs no matter what species. :) ;)

Tourniquet
12-05-2009, 09:24
I rather like the Master of Blades model myself.

But i have noticed a few more Dark Eldarites.
I plan to play them. But not until their re-release, or until i can come up with good conversions, cause i hate their models hey have atm.

Malice&Mizery
12-05-2009, 10:19

Oh really? I just thought because they took out a majority of the Eldar SC's in the new Codex.

I hope you're right though :)

thecrimsonsniper
12-05-2009, 10:35
Apparently we will see DE re-released at the end of the year, not bad considering they're in second edition

Mannimarco
12-05-2009, 10:40
i wouldnt be so sure, theres another thread somwhere on warseer saying theyve been put aback yet again and its our ouf friend the space wolf who are getting their long awaited update for september.

if thats the case then the DE will probably get a release next year at the earliest, shame really

Emilio101
12-05-2009, 11:01
i wouldnt be so sure, theres another thread somwhere on warseer saying theyve been put aback yet again and its our ouf friend the space wolf who are getting their long awaited update for september.

if thats the case then the DE will probably get a release next year at the earliest, shame really

Yeah I read that too. Even though I'm sure the space wolves will be amazing minis it's a shame GW decided to focus on a race that already has 3 or 4 dedicated codices (DAs, BTs etc). Do you think that GW decided to go with a relatively safe option at the last minute or was this always the way things would pan out?

Mannimarco
12-05-2009, 11:06
space wolves require very little work to be done, the minis are down, the fluff is established, its just a simple case of reworking a couple of rules to fit with Codex: Smurf Love

the DE are more tricky, they have so god damn ugly minis so they need to be redone, poor fluff (we're bondage elves!) and they dont have a codex that can just be updated into 5th ed, it really is a complete overhaul

Tourniquet
12-05-2009, 11:22
DE release will basically like launching a new army.

Captain Micha
12-05-2009, 11:47
DE are not coming back. They will never come back until people stop buying their minis listening to GW's promise that "they are just around the corner"

Yeah they've been saying that for what ten years now?

Frankly I don't buy it. There's always a Smurf that some how "needs" it more.

Cuchulain84
12-05-2009, 11:55
The last time I played 40k was during 3rd edition. I just recently got back into it, now that I finally have the free time again. I was going to play my old IG since I still had a few models left but I felt like they are just way to common. I wanted to play something that people don't have pre-made list for combating. Something that would stand out against the repetitiveness of space marines. So I bought my self some DE and have been happy with the decision ever since.

Wow. I don't need to write anything because all above applies to me too. Spooky.

SylverClaw
12-05-2009, 12:08
DE are the new Squats. Every time someone mentions them a clock at GW gets reset.

In all seriousness, I'd rather they worked on the 'Nids or Necrons and brought them up to speed. 'Nids because they are a popular and very characterful race in 40k and Necrons because they really, really need it... plus they are also quite an exciting race, fluffwise.

DE was always weak fluffwise. Angry elves... great... good luck with that... taking some slaves and stuff. Don't worry about conquering the galaxy or anything.

From a rumour point of view I don't think we'll be seeing them soon. We've seen at least one new 'Nid model already and that, to me, looks like smoke - and where there is smoke there is a new codex.

Any new DE models been sighted? Anything at all? Not a thing.

On the other hand... maybe GW are doing a loyalist year, then doing a xeno year next year. Probably not. We'll see a new BT, DA and maybe something weird like Iron Hands codex next year. We can never have enough Space Marines.

Cuchulain84
12-05-2009, 12:32
Just out of curiosity, why is it that everyone reccomends waiting for the new DE codex before starting them?
I mean it's looking at least a year away, and the rules won't change so drastically that you won't be able to use any of the units you'd buy now. But yet so many potential players are waiting.

Mannimarco
12-05-2009, 12:36
you should hold off buying the DE models because they are ugly! models from 10 years ago wont look anywhere near as good as models made today.

Cuchulain84
12-05-2009, 12:40
you should hold off buying the DE models because they are ugly! models from 10 years ago wont look anywhere near as good as models made today.

yeah I suppose that would be a fair reason. I guess that comes down to a preference thing though, I quite like most of the models in my army.

giner
12-05-2009, 12:48
@SylverClaw: There has been a homonculus sighted some time before that Broodlord. But they do always seem to be "just around the corner" very DE style if you ask me.

the1stpip
12-05-2009, 14:15
Jes Goodwin is half way through the plastics. This was confirmed in a podcast a while back. I wouldn't expct them until next year, but it will be worth the wait.

And if you don't like the models, then convert. Mine are made from Dark Elf Corsairs with Dark Eldar arms. They are much more piratey looking.

Durath
12-05-2009, 15:45
yeah I suppose that would be a fair reason. I guess that comes down to a preference thing though, I quite like most of the models in my army.

I think it's funny how many people say DE models suck. I can't help but believe this is bandwagoning at it's finest.

My brother plays DE's and I've had a chance to look at the models in detail. The only one's I'd say are poorly designed are a variant of Wyches. The rest of them look good imho. Esp. the Incubi. They are awesome looking.

Daredhnu
12-05-2009, 16:19
some models are awesome others are average.

personally i love the incubi, the haemonculus, the talos, and the raider/ravager.
most wyches and the reaver jetbikes as well as the scourges are pretty good.
the rest are fairly average, except grotesques they are just aweful.

ambrosehlbiercemencken
12-05-2009, 16:31
In all seriousness, I'd rather they worked on the 'Nids or Necrons and brought them up to speed. 'Nids because they are a popular and very characterful race in 40k and Necrons because they really, really need it... plus they are also quite an exciting race, fluffwise.

DE was always weak fluffwise. Angry elves... great... good luck with that... taking some slaves and stuff. Don't worry about conquering the galaxy or anything.

Things dont have to be huge to be interesting. DE have a lot of potential.

Nachturne
12-05-2009, 18:52

I don't know why people rag on the fluff so much. I personally love it. Even if you don't care for it at least its something different. I mean come on every space marine hero entry goes as follows: During the defense of blah blah Brother Invincibales valiantly held the line somewhere and even though suffering many wounds killed 1 billion of the enemy because he is such a bad *** . The xenos give variety to the universe. They need more support for the sake of all the fluff IMO.