PDA

View Full Version : Help for a beginner?

ozzyboy
12-05-2009, 04:22
Hey all. So I've been playing Warhammer 40k for quite a while now, but with some of the fantasy veterans dusting off their armies I'm looking to start. Now the FLGS owner is trying to clear out some of the old stock providing dome excellent deals. I had three armies in mind; Vampire Counts (currently my first choice), Bretonnians, or the Empire.

Now alot of people where looking to get into bretonnians and empire, so thats something to consider. As to the good deals, Theres the Vampire Counts Spearhead for $135, and battalion box sets for all three for seventy.

So, with that being said, what do you think? Knowing how some of the armies play, what would be good for a smooth transition from 40k? Any help would be great.

Charistoph
12-05-2009, 06:17
From a 40K perspective, Empire resembles IG, Bretts resemble Bike Marines (sort of), and Vampire Counts are close to Necrons, sort of.

Vampire Counts are Undead that focus greatly on characters and outnumbering your foe, and are the only army that can end a fight stronger than they started it. They don't really have any shooting units aside from the characters' magic. Right now, going magic heavy trends to be considered over the top and broken.

Bretts are the kings of Heavy Cavalry and their focus. They do have some light infantry, decent archers, and some other unique units, but they are all about smashing units with a heavy cavalry charge via Lance Formation and sending the unit running for the hills.

Empire doesn't really have any a lot of uniqueness to it. No monsters, no uber casters, etc. They have the grit of their infantry <snort>, the courage of their knights, and the power of their cannon. In fact, war machines tend to make the focus of most Empire Lists as they are really the only units that have any consistent punch in this army. The Empire does rely a lot on either numbers or gun powder to win the day.

But if your first desire is Vampire Counts, by all means go for it, it's your army to play with.

ICLRK625
12-05-2009, 07:34
Empire have the single most unique magic items in the game, and are by far the most versatile army, to say they need to use a gun line is a very, very narrow perspective. Empire have access to a fair balance in every phase of the game, something few armies can make claim to.

Go for what army you like best though, as often times making a cool looking army supersedes how well you play with it (and all 3 armies are capable of being competitive, Vampire Counts a bit more-so).

Rupposed
12-05-2009, 08:15
For easing yourself into the game, Bretonnians would probably be the easiest to play with. With movement 8 you can declare charges with no chance of a counter-charge, as that's double (most) infantry. You also wouldn't need to rely on magic, nor choose from a list so varied it'll make your head spin.

Vampire counts on the other hand remove psychology and fleeing from your game almost entirely. This makes choosing when to flee and worrying about panic a non-issue; but it trades that in for a heavy reliance on the magic phase which is new for 40k players. Also probably the strongest of the three lists currently, though Bretonnians are lined up for a new book.

Empire are probably the weakest choice. While the list has every aspect of the game (and almost every special rule), this might honestly be too much to keep track of. And leadership 7 for the majority of troopers will lead to your army breaking for the hills way more than Bretonnians or vampires.

ozzyboy
12-05-2009, 13:37
Those are all great thoughts. I wasnt aware that Vampire Counts had a heavy magic phase, but i think thats a cool aspect of fantasy im looking forward to learning.:angel: Thanks for the help!

Troah
12-05-2009, 13:46
@.@ Bretonnia.

Crimson Templar
12-05-2009, 20:49
I would like to jump in here and ask, what armies are the easiest to learn with yet still be armies to use as you get better at the game? I too am a 40k player and have not touched fantacy since 1996. My 8 year old son saw my old ork collection and got interested.
I want to be able to teach him the game so I want two different armies that are beginner friendly. Any advice from the fantacy crowd? I was thinking of picking up the skull pass set, but do not know if either of the armies in there are good to learn on and then expand into a fun and enjoyable army.

Condottiere
12-05-2009, 20:53
Dwarves have a fairly easy learning curve.

ICLRK625
12-05-2009, 20:56
Nothing complicated about Dwarfs, they largely ignore 2 of the big phases of the game (not so much ignore, but they certainly aren't going to be doing much movement, and no magic at all).

Goblins are easy enough to pick up, but can be rough to get into a competitive mind set. Of course, that's irrelevent, you'll be playing purely for fun, something Goblins offer no shortage of.

Crimson Templar
12-05-2009, 21:03
That is good to know about the dwarfs. Is the Skull pass box a complete "legal" army(for the dwarfs), or do you need to buy additional stuff to make it a legal and working army?

selone
12-05-2009, 21:10
It might be a legal army but it would be a small army :)

ICLRK625
12-05-2009, 21:37
It's legal, 2 core, 2 heroes, and 2 specials, but it's only ~500 points. Same for Goblins, but you get a LOT of them (like, 70 or so Goblins including Spider Riders).

Condottiere
12-05-2009, 21:38
Start small, and if you enjoy playing them, make plans for expansion.

Charistoph
12-05-2009, 22:44
Another good army to start with is Lizardmen, and if it's an 8 year-old boy, what's better than dinosaurs? Lizardmen are good at almost everything except Fast Cavalry and long range shooting. Movement phase is basic, magic can either be decent or spectacular, Leadership is forgiving, but still allows you to experience it. They just had a new book out, and are designed to face the 2 top armies with effectiveness, while not being obnoxious about it.

Crimson Templar
13-05-2009, 00:59
I appreciate all of the advise. I may have a look at the lizardman army book. He also may want to claim my orks, in which case, I will need a new army for myself.

Being as I would like to stay on the dark side, I really liked the cult of Slaanesh list that was out a few years back. Dark elfs and Chaos. If that is not viable anymore, than cost wise, which is better, DE or WoC?

w3rm
13-05-2009, 01:18
DE by a Loooong shot. For fun I love my greenies.

Lord Asuryan
13-05-2009, 01:48
...though WOC cav armies are horrendously cheap.

Crimson Templar
13-05-2009, 02:03
I'll have to have a look at the army books to see what strikes me. Is teh cult of Slaanesh still a legal list?

ICLRK625
13-05-2009, 02:09
Sort of. In a friendly game, I doubt anybody would have any problem with you running it, but Dark Elves have recently been updated (from 6th edition to 7th), and the list may not represent that well.

If you explain to your opponent beforehand, I can't imagne they would refuse to play you, in fact I would be excited to, as it's a break from the norm.

Rupposed
13-05-2009, 11:35
The cult list is not legal anymore, especially in tournaments. You'd be better off forming a dark elf army, and supplementing flavor units into it for a cult army when your opponents allow. The only problem is both chaos and elves have received new army books, making magic item combinations broken/nonexistant, depending on how you play it.

orkz222
13-05-2009, 11:44
vampire! go for it.

ozzyboy
13-05-2009, 23:44
Great you guys, thanks! I think ill go with the VC, and as to the little tyke...id go with lizzard men!