PDA

View Full Version : Can I use 1 or more Non-GW mini's?

DirtyCajun
12-05-2009, 05:42
I was thinking of picking up thet reaper mini's War demon and using it as my bloodthirster the rest of my army would be legit GW stuff, just wondering if a red shirt might veto it or if it's allowed in tournaments?

spacewolf_sven
12-05-2009, 05:54
Some tournaments don't allow them but most (not run by GW) generally allow them.I've seen it done a few times

nosferatu1001
12-05-2009, 06:14
If you're saying "red shirt" then I guess you mean in store. Stores generally have a "no non GW" policy, which is understandable, but its up to the black shirt i find. If you do a cool conversion and paint job, fit it into your theme nicely, and often the rule of cool applies - i know it does at our local store!

Urgat
12-05-2009, 08:32
Yeah, but on the whole, non GW models are a nono in GW stores, that's their rule, so don't be surprised if they refuse it.

Commodus Leitdorf
12-05-2009, 11:06
Yeah general policy is if its not GW, cant use it in the store.

Fun thing is that at the last GW tournament I went to there were two Avatars of War minis I spotted in two different armies and the organisers didn't see them! hehe. I always enjoy when people manage to get away with that.

Rupposed
12-05-2009, 11:12
Tournaments depend on each event's specific rules.

In the past the unspoken rule was 75% of a model had to be GW, which later got dropped to more than half. The last I heard was you could use non-GW models, but they wouldn't be photographed; this all being when GW held and covered their own events.

Griefbringer
12-05-2009, 11:46
Notive that the restrictions only apply to GW stores - independent stores are likely to be more lenient. And at your own home, you can play with whatever you want.

As for tournaments, it is up to the tournament organisers. If they rule that all daemon players have to wear a pink skirt for the duration of the whole tournament, then you better go looking for the one in your wardrobe...

[Internet facts: 68% of Warseer posters have a pink skirt in their wardrobe, but only 3% are willing to admit that in public.]

Gazak Blacktoof
12-05-2009, 17:25
My friend uses his AT-43 red block and UNA as imperial guard so it really depends on who you play with.

Cats Laughing
13-05-2009, 04:05
What is GW's policy on scuplted figs?

ie: if I take some greenstuff and make a bunch of squigs and mount GW plastic Night Gobbos on top as squig hoppers, is there a chance of being turned away at a GW Grand Tournament?
(I mean other than being laughed at for taking O&G and Squig Hoppers)

eyeolas
13-05-2009, 10:49
oy, I went to devourer this year with OnGs, 6 squig hoppers and a unit of 5 squig herds!

The current policy is models must be mostly GW products, so bit of non-GW added to GW stuff for conversions is fine, but whole models isn't. at store its whatever the black shirt sais goes

Gazak Blacktoof
13-05-2009, 11:42
GW haven't ever had a problem with scratch builds and sculpts that you've made (or bought from a private seller- who's to know the difference?) so long as they don't include components from other companies. If you had the sculpting ability of Felix Paniagua and made yourself some nice character models that would be fine, however once you start buying casts and trying to use them you're crossing the line.

None of this matters unless you play in a GW store or tourney though.

DoomBringer
14-05-2009, 03:18
I have been visiting many different GW over many years of gaming and not once has a GW EVER denied the use of a model in their store because it is fully or partially part of another companies manufacture, but that is just my experience.

As a side note. A good part of most of my armies have parts from other companies.