PDA

View Full Version : Report on New GW 'Army' Carry Case

Tyra_Nid
23-12-2005, 03:34
Basically a flow-on from this older thread (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18466).

Recieved my new Army case in the mail today. Its big. :D

Unlike the older advertisements suggested, it does only hold 6 trays (as currently advertised) rather than 8. The first thing I did was try to fit an extra layer in using some of my spares. Its possible, but the foam is likely to get very squashed and may even damage some miniatures. I place two Guardsmen per slot as is, and if I did so with 4 layers they would sustain scratches and possible breakages. More economical in space to double-up on 3 layers than single-up on 4.
Also, if 4 layers are used the sides do not close fully, with about a .5cm gap. This may not be a problem for some, but I wouldnt want to carry an overloaded case in the rain.

There is a little more space around the foam trays than in the smaller 'Standard' cases. It had been suggested by some that the new trays were smaller than the old- I could not determine a difference in comparison with the two. Regardless, this space does let the cases 'wiggle' around a little bit, but I dont think that this will be a problem as the foam is quite thick. If you leave a codex above the top layer it helps press the foam down and keep it stable.

The trays are the same as the old ones. Each cell is large enough to comfortably fit a basic infantry model (or two), and can fit an Ogre-sized model on a round base, although this is a very tight fit and the base extends out a little.

The casing is nice and solid, which is one of the reasons I like the GW cases. None of this soft zipper cover than most other case manufacturers use. You could kick this case around and not do any damage. The front shows a large Imperial Eagle and 'Games Workshop', a scaled up version as that which is used on the smaller cases. This one also has a shoulder strap, which is nice, although the case hangs down past my knees that way.

Overall, I'm happy with this product. I have managed to fit 4 infantry trays in, and have used two of my old to convert into tank trays and can carry four tanks as well. Now I wont have to carry extra boxes for my usual sized Guard games (of course, the other 8 tanks wont fit in, but I dont usually use more than four).

It also helped that I only paid 2/3 the price that GW is asking for the cases here. Used http://www.maelstromgames.co.uk/, which offers a 10% discount on GW products (at UK prices, which are less than Australian prices anyway) and free postage worldwide! Probably wouldnt have bought the case at full Australian price though.

Happy to answer any questions you may have.

Calindor
23-12-2005, 07:09
Good report, seems like it is a good armycase and I will propapbly pick it up later on.

grave digger
24-12-2005, 06:18
Nice report nid,

but what we really want to know. How does it handle the new Terminator? Especially the Assault Cannon types.

Diggs

Tyra_Nid
24-12-2005, 07:04
It wouldnt fit Termies well unless you cut out components. If you made one cell into two it would be fine I'd assume... same as old cases.

Not that I intent to carry Termies in it. Got my special custom case for them :D

grave digger
24-12-2005, 20:38
Did not think they would fit well but figured I should ask.

I'm thinking of getting one of these boxes for my Dwarf army. Should hold the whole clan if I'm counting correctly.

Diggs

Tyra_Nid
24-12-2005, 21:58
With ease, especially if you double-up. Dwarves should fit two-per-cell without a hassle.

However, for WHFB id suggest magnetising and using a tool box. Far cheaper and you can have your regiments pre set up, which makes it a lot faster to plunk em down on the table.

Rhamag
26-12-2005, 15:56
I just got one of these for Xmas, and the smell inside is really, really nice...

Eduard
26-12-2005, 16:32
I just got one of these for Xmas, and the smell inside is really, really nice...

Would I be far wrong in asuming that those fumes make you see all kinds of pretty colours?

Rhamag
26-12-2005, 20:05
Would I be far wrong in asuming that those fumes make you see all kinds of pretty colours?

It's just a shame that none of the pretty colours are on my models! ;)

athamas
26-12-2005, 20:31

i also got one, and you know what... thats the first thing a though when i opened it...

the black foam is also a nice improvement, as it make models look nicer...

what appears to be a gap[that would allow for wobbling etc...] realy is not there, its a shae its only holds 6 trays, but this is not a reall problem, as its a big improvement on 3, and you can fit an army in there...

i hve beeen cutting up some of my old red ones to fit in as tank cariers as the black ones look to new to chop up yet...

a great this really!

grave digger
26-12-2005, 20:43
My wife got me one for X-mas (what a nice person she is).

The whole thing looks good to me. I'm partial to the hard sided case over the soft side. Just seems more durable. I also like the black foam more. Looks better visually and appears to be softer.

I'm going to pick up a few extra trays from GW and use them as swap out trays. I figure I can put armies on the shelf when not in the case and swap them in and out. In my normal armies I should be able to hold the troops on one side and put the tanks on the other. Not a bad deal in all.

Diggs

Opus T. Penguin
27-12-2005, 07:39
Good to know. I prefer actual field reports to my speculation. Time to get one of these, it sounds like.

Eduard
27-12-2005, 12:07
Just a little question. Would an Sentinel fit inside without major modifications?

Tyra_Nid
28-12-2005, 02:27
Eduard: Youd have to cut parts out of the foam, and probably put a tray upside down to create a larger space.

Xyon
29-12-2005, 17:23
good report, also thanks for pointing out that website! Finally I can get stuff and not feel guilty about the prices! Especially sense terminators cost less per US doller in the UK than a Tactical Squad costs in the US! *shakes fist as GWUS* Now to patiently wait for Dark Angels next winter.

Frodo34x
29-12-2005, 20:44
My wife got me one for X-mas (what a nice person she is).

The whole thing looks good to me. I'm partial to the hard sided case over the soft side. Just seems more durable. I also like the black foam more. Looks better visually and appears to be softer.

I'm going to pick up a few extra trays from GW and use them as swap out trays. I figure I can put armies on the shelf when not in the case and swap them in and out. In my normal armies I should be able to hold the troops on one side and put the tanks on the other. Not a bad deal in all.

Diggs
That's whatI'm planning to do when I get my Figuresincomfort case.

Hlokk
29-12-2005, 22:18
Just a little question. Would an Sentinel fit inside without major modifications?

Do you glue your legs on your sentinals, and do you glue your legs to the feet? I dont, so it makes them easier to transport. The cab part fits in one bit without too much modification, and the legs can be plonked in the next one.

Nitron
09-01-2006, 23:42
And it costs what, 500,000$?

Melchor
10-01-2006, 00:07
I'm going to pick up a few extra trays from GW and use them as swap out trays.
Diggs

I didn't know you could do that! If you can, I am never buying another case again. Just the foam inserts. :D
(If they're reasonably priced of course... :rolleyes: )

grave digger
10-01-2006, 00:17
Somebody else asked me about this. Just for the information on this thread.

GW sells three trays for $20 through Mail Order (in the US at least).

With the new extra large case one can also put a 4 in. Sabol Tray (about $6) in place of three trays. The Sabol tray is capable of holding two Land Raiders side by side. You will need to pad out the sides since the Sabol tray is more narrow than the GW ones.

Or, some other stores sell pre-slotted trays similar to GW's. Not sure on the cost but I have seen them around.

There ya go,

Diggs

Melchor
10-01-2006, 00:41
Thanks dude!
I'm going to have a look if I can get them over here...

hiram
11-01-2006, 04:40
You want to hear somthing funny, we ordered 1500 of them planning on that being a 3 month stock and then ran out in three days.(as a company)

grave digger
11-01-2006, 05:48
You ordered 1500 trays or 1500 cases? Either way that's a lot of merchandies to go through. Out of curiosity, what company is this?

Diggs

PS: Nice name, is the last name Abiff by chance?;)

hiram
11-01-2006, 06:14
1500 cases by GW U.S. scary huh?

Opus T. Penguin
14-01-2006, 19:34
1500 for all of GW U.S. was a bit low....

hiram
15-01-2006, 04:01
Not really, the amount of back stock that we keep is amazingly low. In our system we have maybe over 500 items on very few items.

Mikhaila
15-01-2006, 04:15
The US got another thousand in friday, and they were stores gobbled them all up by about noon. I grabbed 16 for my two shops, as we have about 9 customers on want list for them. I'm probably saving at least one for myself. The idea of getting all of my speed freaks into one case is very appealing.

hiram
15-01-2006, 04:23
S*** and we don't make our order til sunday.

Perks of being indie I guess.

Imbroglio
15-01-2006, 10:51
I can see why they're flying out, as hands down they're the best case I've ever seen made by GW. If I was in the market I'd have one - so long as I could buy a block of the tank case foam to go in it, next to the normal slots on the other side - it fits, because I've tried it! Makes for quite a flexible, and remarkably reasonably priced case.

-- Imbroglio