PDA

View Full Version : [WotR] 1500 Dwarves

dtjunkie19
12-05-2009, 05:09
Alright I've been building up my dwarves for a bit now, finished assembling most of my stuff. I figured I would attempt to make an effective list. So far in my LGS the other dwarf player had difficulties with them. So im not 100% sure how things are going to turn out, but anyway here we go:

1500 Pts - The Dwarf Holds Army

1 Balin, Lord of Moria @ 100

1 Gimli, son of Glóin @ 175

3 Drár's Hunters @ 200
Drár

6 Dwarf Warrior Kinband @ 240
Shields

4 Dwarf Warrior Kinband @ 185
Two-handed weapons
Shieldbearer

4 Dwarf Warrior Kinband @ 185
Two-handed weapons
Shieldbearer

2 Vault Warden Kinband @ 140

3 Khazâd Guard Kinband @ 150

2 Dwarf Ballista @ 120

Total Army Cost: 1495

Notes:
-The Vault Warden kinband's are anchored against terrain/flank
-Im unsure about the ballistas, they mainly are there to incite the enemy to charge me. They will get deployed on a hill if possible or with a large arc of fire covering the vault wardens. Basically the valut wardens will defeat any unit in a fight except monsters, so the ballistas take any threats to the vault wardens, and the vault wardens take out any threats to the ballistas.
-Drar's hunters can ambush or deploy regularly, either way will work into the battle plan. Save Take Aim! ability for monsters and rear shots into shield walls.
-Shieldbearers are there for a cheap hero to at the double with if needed.
-The Warrior kinband with shields is my hammer, the two smaller units with 2 handers are kept behind them so they cant be easily charged but can countercharge.

What do y'all think?

Nu Fenix
12-05-2009, 11:25
It looks pretty solid to me dtjunkie.

When I played against my resident Dwarf player, I found that two-handed weapons were very useful on them, as their stats are above average anyway, so they would munch through enemy quite well, whilst being oh high enough Defence to take less casualties then the enemy. It works especially well when combined with a well-timed Epic Rampage too.

He also use Ballistas and they did very well, although his dice rolls were exceptional at times. If the enemy can be baiting into exposing their side or rear, it can make shield using infantry feel wasted when they watch two points of Defence do nothing.

Vault Wardens are very tough to shift, just beware of the ever dirty trick of Stringth from Corruption, as you know all too well it is one of the best spells to kill them.

Overall, it is an army I would happily play against :)

Billpete002
12-05-2009, 15:09
I would try to take more legendary forces - Durin is rock hard and gives tons of bonus's to the Khazad guard.

Otherwise I think you have a great list.

dtjunkie19
12-05-2009, 15:26
He does give good bonuses however is 200 points. More troops is always better than more bonuses in my view. Not to mention he was around way before gimli (and balin I think)

As for Murin, he is good but for 100 points i'd rather take balin, who can do the same thing but more

Billpete002
14-05-2009, 18:34
You could take Floi with epic renew and negate a special ability for only 75 that is a pretty good deal

brimmstorm
14-05-2009, 19:31
Do people think that 2 companies for Vault Wardens are enough? Is 2 the ideal size for that unit?

-brimmstorm

Jorgen_CAB
14-05-2009, 20:10
The Vault Wardens are indomitable, so take them as a single company. That should be the most beneficial to you. It gives you greater tactical numbers to works with. As long as you don't have more rare formations than you have common I see no reason why not deploy them as a single company.

Billpete002
14-05-2009, 20:10
yeah 1-2 units is good - they are targets for spells and such dependent upon your opponent, but 2 units is optimum for holding a flank - I wouldn't personally put them in the center of your force though - as there will only be 8-16 of them.

That is a good point Jorgen.