PDA

View Full Version : Should I start a new army? You decide

Deadmanwade
12-05-2009, 05:12
Hello all.
I was looking over a website the other day and saw the Skull pass boxed set and thought "hmm, I could use a copy of the WFB rules in a small, easy to carry book"
This then lead to me thinking "A dwarf army would be cool"

However, I know that probably I shouldnt be spending that much money on warhammer. I already have a 3500 point High Elf army (built but not painted), the same again in VC (half built) and 2500 in Brets (unbuilt). On top of that I play 40k about 75% of the time and I have Marines, Guard and Nids at around 7500 each.

On the other hand, I'm currently living in Japan where GW is fairly thin on the ground. I'm ordering from a UK website which offers a 20% discount, free shipping and with the current exchange rate works out at around 1/2 of the price locally, so whatever I buy will basically be a complete bargain.

So I decided to let warseer decide for me.

Should I buy a new army or not?

spacewolf_sven
12-05-2009, 05:15
I already have a 3500 point High Elf army (built but not painted), the same again in VC (half built) and 2500 in Brets (unbuilt).

Finish your armies
or you could give them free to a good home...I certainly wouldn't mind some Brettonians

Nicha11
12-05-2009, 05:16
I would reccomend finishing what you have.

someone2040
12-05-2009, 05:59
I say no, you should finish your armies.
But I also understand where you're coming from. It's hard when you get an idea or something, or go "Hey, that's a nice deal, and I might be interested in starting Dwarfs..." but it all just piles up.
You got plenty of stuff that is just sitting around unbuilt! So get painting, and get building. I know that's what I'm trying to do...

The Red Scourge
12-05-2009, 06:26
Whats the site you order from? :)

Urgat
12-05-2009, 06:26
I second... her... "counts" fourth the opinion that you should finish what you have already, and you already have way too much btw :p. I found out that the more you had, the harder it was to find the motivation to build/paint. I mean you have 9500 points and nothing painted?

Deadmanwade
12-05-2009, 06:41
The site is called http://www.caliverbooks.com/figures/index.php?menu=fant2

I actually have 1 painted unit of elf archers and most of the army has been primed....

Condottiere
12-05-2009, 07:40
1. If you have those unfinished models with you in Japan, finish them first, unless the armies involved no longer appeal to you, in which case it might be better to sell them off and start anew.

2. If you feel that it makes financial sense to purchase miniatures at these prices, in anticipation that prices will rise, and you can afford to do so, it can be considered as an option.

isidril93
12-05-2009, 10:47
finish...makes it easier when you start dwarves
fact is if you do not finish the others you robably wont finish dwarves

Brimweave
12-05-2009, 11:49
I think you should finish your other armies first. I know what you mean with temptation to buy a new army (currently I'm tempted by Orks in 40k) but its ebst to finish your current armies otherwise your new army will likely never get finished also.

BrazenSix
12-05-2009, 11:50
I'm with the masses. Finish up what you got and get painting. :D

The Red Scourge
12-05-2009, 12:01
No. no! Consume! Spend the majority of your income on GW. The spice must flow!

Keller
12-05-2009, 12:09
I had the same idea about picking up Skull Pass and starting a small dwarf army. Then I realized that after 3 years, my Ogres aren't done, and after 7 years, neither are my VC. I now have only 3 Ogres and a slew of Gnoblars to finish painting for my OK, so I've made a lot of progress. Its really re-vitalized my want to play them.

Save your money and work on what you have. You can always go back and buy more later.

Deadmanwade
12-05-2009, 13:17
Well, the votes are in and it looks like I wont be starting a new army. Instead I am going to get my Brettonians built.

Thank you to Warseer, the Voice of Reason!

Troah
12-05-2009, 14:31
Bretonnia for the win!

bob_the_small
12-05-2009, 14:40
Finish what you have... that's the problem with the GW hobby, you start... and then you see something cool and go "oooh...wouldnt mind that..." **you buy it**

That keeps on going until you have tooo many models for your own good....

Ethlorien
12-05-2009, 21:19
I voted no - finish what you have.

I collected too many too quickly and now when I look at my WIP shelves I just feel daunted and intimidated by the work ahead of me and all the more guilty for buying new minis just to add to an expanding pile.

Finish your armies first and then, to celebrate, treat yourself to a new army.

Stuffburger
13-05-2009, 03:44
I'm not so much as buying another model until my current O&G units are painted (or at least 1k points worth.) Saves me money and keeps me focused.

Condottiere
13-05-2009, 06:25
I have to get around to painting my stuff. And I want to buy some more.

orkz222
13-05-2009, 12:11
YES, resistance is futile :D

Cats Laughing
13-05-2009, 23:13
buy buy buy
The World Economy needs you!

Plus new figs on the cheap are always nice (especially since you and your opponents don't seem to care about painted)