PDA

View Full Version : Mirkwood 1500 points WOTR list

gunfex
12-05-2009, 12:34
Do you think a Mirkwood elves list without more heavily armoured elves and cavalry could work? Comments on this list welcome.
Mirkwood Wood Elves List 1500 Points

Epic hero Legolas Prince of Mirkwood 200 points
Epic hero Thranduil King of Mirkwood 125 points
Common Formations
4 companies longbows
Captain
Banner bearer
Horn blower
Total = 280 points
4 companies hand weapons and bows
Captain
Banner bearer
Horn blower
Total = 280 points
4 companies glaives
Captain
Banner bearer
Horn blower
Total = 280 points
Rare Formation
Mirkwood Sentinels
4 companies
Captain
Banner Bearer
Total = 285 points
Fortune
Inner glory 50 points

Grand Total = 1500 Points

Nu Fenix
12-05-2009, 12:47
I will say what others would also advise - drop the Banners and Horn Blowers. The cost to ebenfit isn't that good, and without them you save 185 points, which could buy you more Elves.

It is a shame there isn't much choice for pure Mirkwood. Although depending on how you feel, certain units may work if they were renamed. Gildor's Household would be one example, as they have Longbows and Enchanted Cloaks, whilst coming with a Mastery 2 spellcaster with Captain stats, and they can Ambush.

gunfex
12-05-2009, 13:03
Thanks for the ideas. Would this work better??
Mirkwood Wood Elves List 1500 Points
• Epic hero Legolas Prince of Mirkwood 200 points
• Epic hero Thranduil King of Mirkwood 125 points
Common Formations
• 6 companies longbows
Captain
Total = 320 points
• 6 companies hand weapons
Captain
Total = 290 points
• 6 companies glaives
Captain
Total = 320 points
Rare Formation
• Mirkwood Sentinels
4 companies
Captain
Total = 250 points

Grand Total = 1505 Points

Dragon Prince of Caledor
12-05-2009, 15:24
I will say what others would also advise - drop the Banners and Horn Blowers. The cost to ebenfit isn't that good, and without them you save 185 points, which could buy you more Elves.

It is a shame there isn't much choice for pure Mirkwood. Although depending on how you feel, certain units may work if they were renamed. Gildor's Household would be one example, as they have Longbows and Enchanted Cloaks, whilst coming with a Mastery 2 spellcaster with Captain stats, and they can Ambush.

I agree I think its a good idea. Given the `limited range`of a particular faction moulding things to fit makes the game more dynamic.:angel:

Nu Fenix
12-05-2009, 15:59
I would turn the six company strong Longbows into two formations of three. The reason is that you are unlikely to get all six to see the enemy as one formation, and so are paying alot of points for +1 shot. In contrast, with a pair of three strong formations, they are likely to all be able to see the enemy, and also spreads out your shooting more, to deal with different enemy units, and require the enemy to go after multiple ranged attackers.

someone2040
13-05-2009, 03:42
I'd be interested to see how you fare - as a Mirkwood themed list is on my agenda once I do my Dol Amroth.
Although my thoughts were along the lines of mainly Wood Elves, supplemented by some Rares/Legendaries that count as Mirkwood. Say, Wood Elves on Horses count as Galadhrim Knights.

gunfex
14-05-2009, 22:57
Many people talk about hammer and anvil companies when they discuss tactics. With a totally wood elf force without cavalry or armour what is the hammer and anvil??? How could such a limited force seriously compete? I still love the idea but am just wondering!

Shonailo
06-06-2009, 00:30
Many people talk about hammer and anvil companies when they discuss tactics. With a totally wood elf force without cavalry or armour what is the hammer and anvil??? How could such a limited force seriously compete? I still love the idea but am just wondering!

Good question.
I'm new to table top games, so I'm frantically reading and learning new tactics every day. I currently play with a friend, 1200 pt armies (we're still buying and waiting for more orders to arrive), and I'm running an archery heavy (wood elf mostly) army.
I don't have any melee-infantry themed formations at all.
I use Cirdan, Legolas, and Radagast as my heroes. Partially because I have them, and well, like I said, I'm new to the game and limited in what orders have arrived.
I've only play tested against Isenguard, which is heavy infantry, high str and high defense. I've won 2, lost 2.

In all my games, I killed more units than I lost, and if we were playing point-victories, I'd have won all 4. Shooting and Magic just allow you to kill so many enemies, whilst constricting movement, and slowing, rooting, and revivng to improve longevity. When I do get into combat, I always lose. Isengaurd just has too high of base stats to tilt the battle in my favor. However I expect this. I use radagast's Epic tranquility and the Fortune Inner Glory, to drag out the battle, and get in as many shoot phases as I can.

This is just my experience with a shooting-heavy army, and I'm very limited in my knowledge of this game, and those like it, but I thought I'd throw in my observations.