PDA

View Full Version : Which 6'x4' board is best for warhammer?

immortal99
23-12-2005, 07:05
I drew then scanned these roughly but they give you a good idea of what the board looks like. Before I made one of the boards deciding myself, I wanted to check to see if you thought it would work well in a warhammer game.

Option 1 (http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d3/immortal99/1.jpg)
Option 2 (http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d3/immortal99/2.jpg)
Option 3 (http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d3/immortal99/3.jpg)

Crube
23-12-2005, 09:03
Personally i prefer a flat board with terrain peices such as dead trees, hills etc to be placed randomly, but...Option 3 probably. Gives you a bit more flexibility with extra bits like hills etc, whereas the others seem a bit more prescribed in what they'd let you do later...

immortal99
23-12-2005, 09:08
Sorry I forgot to mention, that is just the terrain which I will make for it, but its all going to be loose.

ironduke
23-12-2005, 09:28
3 but make a bit more terrain so its not so static, theres nothing worse than a symetrical board

Crazy Harborc
23-12-2005, 20:30
Option 3........That said, "nailed down" terrain can get very boring very quickly. (Been there and did that- NEVER again).

Terrain shouldn't predetermine the winner. Have lots of pieces available.

Green paper (felt cloth works too) can be cut to represent forest floors.

Packing case styrofoam sheets can be cut to form hills (can/will get messy).

To paint hills use cheap latex housepaint. (Follow the directions and a can will last several years.

How to do it books can be had at libraries, online sites, hobbyshops and bookstores (can order them for you).

immortal99
23-12-2005, 20:37
As said it will be loose terrain and i will probably do a lot of forests, I don't want to have someone rolling a dice and chosing a side which will give them immediate advantages.

adreal
24-12-2005, 01:18
I choose number two, only because if you have a nurgle army, it works. also in the new WD there is rule for daemon worlds in 40K, so you could play on one if you get a 40K army.

Submit to father nurgle

immortal99
24-12-2005, 07:36
I am collecting nurgle in warhammer (or starting to) and I already own 4 40k armies so I could use it for 40k but I can use any of them for 40k.

Gazak Blacktoof
24-12-2005, 11:45
As said it will be loose terrain and i will probably do a lot of forests, I don't want to have someone rolling a dice and chosing a side which will give them immediate advantages.

Actually that's what terrain should do, terrain should provide advantages, its not there just to pretty the board up. You just have to think about what armies are playing when you setup the terrain. Don't give armies with masses of artillery a ton of defended positions unless you want a completely one sided game. Instead offer them a choice between a hill in the centre of a deployment zone (with restricted LOS to the flanks) on one side or a set of defended obstacles on the other within charging distance of a copse of trees. They then have to weigh up the pros and cons of their deployment choice, as would an opponent facing such an army if they were given the choice of deployment zone.

Two close combat armies going at it requires lots of terrain in the centre of the battlefield to enable players to shield their unit's flanks. Players should have to consider the relative movment values of each other's armies and be working out where both side's units will be when the battle lines collide when chosing a deployment zone, as well as analysing where supporting units can be placed so that their fields of fire aren't restricted by the movement of marching troops. It might be advantageous to give up a hill to an opponent, perhaps relinquishing a turn of firepower, in order to secure the better terrain for combat.

Terrain should offer immediate advantages to those with the correct tools in their army, this is what should make more balanced armies better. The advantages shouldn't be immediately obvious though, or without their own minor drawbacks. Though its fun to play the occasional battle where both deployment zones and the middle ground favour one side over the other, just as a challenge to one of the players.

immortal99
24-12-2005, 11:59
Actually that's what terrain should do, terrain should provide advantages, its not there just to pretty the board up. You just have to think about what armies are playing when you setup the terrain. Don't give armies with masses of artillery a ton of defended positions unless you want a completely one sided game. Instead offer them a choice between a hill in the centre of a deployment zone (with restricted LOS to the flanks) on one side or a set of defended obstacles on the other within charging distance of a copse of trees. They then have to weigh up the pros and cons of their deployment choice, as would an opponent facing such an army if they were given the choice of deployment zone.

Two close combat armies going at it requires lots of terrain in the centre of the battlefield to enable players to shield their unit's flanks. Players should have to consider the relative movment values of each other's armies and be working out where both side's units will be when the battle lines collide when chosing a deployment zone, as well as analysing where supporting units can be placed so that their fields of fire aren't restricted by the movement of marching troops. It might be advantageous to give up a hill to an opponent, perhaps relinquishing a turn of firepower, in order to secure the better terrain for combat.

Terrain should offer immediate advantages to those with the correct tools in their army, this is what should make more balanced armies better. The advantages shouldn't be immediately obvious though, or without their own minor drawbacks. Though its fun to play the occasional battle where both deployment zones and the middle ground favour one side over the other, just as a challenge to one of the players.

Yes I know, I mean i don't want someone to roll a dice and have an advatage so big that they can win without any tactical decisions involved unless you count rolling as dice as this. Thats why I am making it loose terrain so when we take turns placing it we have to think tactically.