PDA

View Full Version : Dark Elf Corsairs...

bruenor
13-05-2009, 10:33
Just about to put a box of these together and wanted to know what gets used more, and is better.
Two hand weapons or One hand weapon and pistol crossbow?

Thanks in advance
(think I put my original post in the wrong place)

Scelerat
13-05-2009, 10:58
I always use them with two hand weapons AND the hydra banner. That gives you 3 attacks per Corsair, something really good with hatred!
I never use pistol crossbows because I feel the extra attack is way more useful, given the short range of them pistols. The role that suits them better, in my opinion, is to reach HtH combat as soon as possible to slice the enemy. Sea dragon cloaks give them that extra protection vs shooting.
All in all, shooting weapons are more of a defensive thing, and I see no reason to use Corsairs defensively with the amount of attacks they can toss in close combat :)

bruenor
13-05-2009, 11:10
Magic!!
Just what I wanted to hear.

Thanks mate!!
:)

WhiteLion
13-05-2009, 20:12
Magic!!
Just what I wanted to hear.

Thanks mate!!
:)

From what I see as well the hand crossbows are relatively useless. Instead of the hydra banner, simply throw on the sea serpent standard, which you don't need a bsb for. It gives them frenzy, which is the extra attack and immune to psych until they lose.

Havock
13-05-2009, 20:52
And they rip through other rank & file quite easily.

bob_the_small
13-05-2009, 21:11
You could go uber uber attacky with them... take 2 HW, that gives them 2 attacks, take a BSB /w hydra banner gives them 3 attacks, then take the frenzy banner for 4 attacks a piece... then take them 6 wide for ultimate killy death...

Havock
13-05-2009, 21:26
You should also give them KB with the cauldron :')

DoomBringer
13-05-2009, 22:10
In my opinion, corsairs over all are to expensive to justify what they are capable of, but that doesn't stop me from taking these very cool and fluffy units.

They are by default more offensive than their warrior counter-part but are more defensive than their other counter-part, Witch Elves.

Being to expensive to justify using them for SCR, it is better to gear them towards things they are more efficient at.

The three main strengths of Corsairs are Protection against weak ranged fire, Decent ACR in close combat if equipped with 2 Hand Weps, and good area control if equipped with Hand Bows

Now lets look at them with a 2 Hand Weapon Loadout.

This gives them 2, ws 4, str 3 attacks with a 5+/4+ Armour Save

A 7x2 is the most point effective formation for this setup imo, ringing in at 120 Points, naked. Some people prefer to add command, but I do not find it worth it as it spikes the cost to much.

Now lets compare this to their offensive counter-part Witch elves, whom would also cost 120.

They have -1 WS, No Poison, but they have armour, as well as the perk of being a core choice and the slaver rule, which can come in handy.
-

Now lets see the benefits of using Hand bows.

Hand bows- Very limited range, cannot march and shoot, but have no penalties for move and shoot, or stand and shoot. This can be used to our advantage.

Uses- Hand bows can be used to protect flanks from fast cavalry, fast skirmishers, and/or flyers.

The short range will force them to keep a mid-range distance on any of your protected areas unless they want to lose that squad very fast.

This means that it will prevent march blocking quite effectively.

One setup I find effective when using hand bows is a squad of 10 naked corsairs picking up a flank you expect to see some light harassers coming in. Most people underestimate the hand bow and get hurt for it later on. On average I kill 3-5 of any recon type squad constantly in one turn of shooting from a 10 man squad of corsairs (An average of 7 Corsairs get to shoot at any said target, as a 10x1 formation is a bit restricting on vision/range).

I also use theses guys to protect weaker more expensive units such as black guard, executioners, lone mages, and even witch elves against weak missile fire.

Corsair's Armour protection per point ratio is by far the most effective against anything strength three and under, such as most bow fire. And thus I use it to protect those less protected, and more expensive units.

Scelerat
13-05-2009, 23:06
From what I see as well the hand crossbows are relatively useless. Instead of the hydra banner, simply throw on the sea serpent standard, which you don't need a bsb for. It gives them frenzy, which is the extra attack and immune to psych until they lose.

Whoops, that's what I meant, Sea Serpent standard :)
Save the hydra Banner for your CoK, teehee.