PDA

View Full Version : What are the least popular armies? and why?

islyfe
13-05-2009, 18:27
What are the least popular armies? and why?

Tourniquet
13-05-2009, 18:28
Space Marines
They are to hard to lay and have bad stats

if you want to be unique, i recommend you play them ^.^

DarkMatter2
13-05-2009, 18:29
Least popular in my experience are the Inquisition armies and Dark Eldar.

Because they are old, and haven't received much love.

Captain Micha
13-05-2009, 18:30
Necrons, Dark Eldar, and GKs. All are pretty unpopular.

Reasons. Uncompetitive Rules/and or FAQs made by someone that doesn't know what they are doing at all.

Lord of Worms
13-05-2009, 18:39
In some case way old models that aren't that appealing (I'm looking at you Dark Eldar!!)

Nezmith
13-05-2009, 20:35
Anyone who still has a Codex from 3rd Edition and hasn't received an update.

SimonL
13-05-2009, 20:39
They are to hard to lay and have bad stats

Isn't that Sisters of Battle? ;)

Tourniquet
13-05-2009, 20:39
Isn't that Sisters of Battle? ;)

Nah, as long as you bring the hand cuffs the bolter Bi..Sisters of Battle arn't hard at all

Side note: stupid laptop keyboard

liquiddream78
13-05-2009, 20:44
I think its the Sister's mainly because they have an old Codex and have a unique playing style. I think the models are nice but they can be one of the more expensive armies. All their models are pewter, which in turn comes at a cost.

Tourniquet
13-05-2009, 20:49
$75AU per squad. Vs $50 for Most other 10man plastic boxes

ouch

Hicks
13-05-2009, 20:52
Generally it would seem that the least popular armies are...

Daemon Hunters because they are underpowered and mostly expensive metals.

Witch Hunters because they are expensive metals.

Dark Eldar because even though they are really strong, the models are pretty ugly.

Necrons because they are underpowered.

Nostro
13-05-2009, 22:04
Generally it would seem that the least popular armies are...

Daemon Hunters because they are underpowered and mostly expensive metals.

Witch Hunters because they are expensive metals.

Dark Eldar because even though they are really strong, the models are pretty ugly.

Necrons because they are underpowered.

I would have answered almost exactly that. Methinks Hicks gave you the least popular armies and the right reasons why they aren't more popular.

Poseidal
13-05-2009, 22:37
See this:

http://warseer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3552750&postcount=95

This is on Warseer only though.

Charistoph
13-05-2009, 22:38
Another reason DE aren't popular: No one is selling new copies of the book and it's rare to find their models on the shelf.

I had to wait till I found it second hand before my codex collection was complete.

That reminds me, the new IG codex just came out...

Ben
13-05-2009, 22:48
DE are hideously old, with pretty awful models, and some of the rules don't work too well.

Necrons are boring more than underpowered. People don't take several units because they are very overpriced, like pariahs, which means every army is basically 4 types, warriors, immortals, monoliths and destroyers with two lords, 1 with res orb and usually one with destroyer body. You might see some scarabs sometimes, or some flayed ones, but it really doesn't break up the tedium.

Sisters are a good army but expensive to buy.

Daemonhunters are underpowered for some lists, and are also expensive to buy.

It is more that Necrons are boring than underpowered that got them in the list.

Vandelan
13-05-2009, 22:49
Most every store I go to uses colored stickers for every army they sell. They don't even have a color for Dark Eldar let alone a single mention that they exist.

Dark Eldar are probably the absolute least played around my area.

Latro_
13-05-2009, 23:51
Dark Eldar - bottom of the pack, 11/12? year old codex - models are shocking

Necrons - 5th ed raped them silly, can be boring army to game with

WH/DH - Expensive to buy, can import marines or guard which just makes you consider doing a marine or guard army instead!

Nids - Nidzilla got boned in 5th ed, they're just a horde hth army thats beaten by orks who are a hth/mild shooty force!

Tau - Just dont seem to be popular, they're middle of the road as an army i guess. The low ld and hth crapness is a bit of a turn off in 5th ed

Eldar - Bit like tau, middle of the road. Actually they may be alot further down the list now as I havent really seen Eldar in 5th ed.

Orks - Get orks in the main box, they have a very strong army list now in 5th ed. They'd be more popular if you didnt have to paint 100+ models.

Chaos marines - evil marines will always be fairly popular and like marines are cheap tp collect and fairly easy to paint. They also have some nasty units like lash princes and obilterators which are always popular

IG - Current flavour of the month, they're techincally not one of the most popular armies at the minute but will be owing to the crazy ass codex they now have.

Marines - Will always be the most popular as GW's flagship army, easy to paint, cheap to collect, forgiving to play with and also have a very strong newish codex

CommissarGuard
13-05-2009, 23:52
I think i ony know one person who plays DE he has elder as his main force but decided to try DE just for the fun of it

Mannimarco
13-05-2009, 23:54
Dark eldar cos theyre freaken ugly, necrons cos they just aint that good (ok we have all seen the twin monolith army)

sisters cos theyre expensive, same with daemonhunters.......oh and proper themed chaos!

Oguleth
14-05-2009, 00:07
Personally I have never seen Daemon Hunters at work, nor have I seen Space Wolves.

I know a lot of Eldar players, but otherwise it's quite evened out.

I think I live in a bit of a bubble however... And I can't say I have met anyone that have started Dark Eldar the last 5-6 years, so. They could prolly hang out with the not so popular armies..

liquiddream78
14-05-2009, 00:22
I know a couple of DE players in my area. Must be one of those things to break the mold and use an army that does not get any love. It could throw your opponent off balance. Most players will be be like WTF?! "how do I attack those spiky things?".

I would love to see the Squats come back, but that is a whole different thread.

Da_Killa
14-05-2009, 13:02
DE
GK
SoB
need more time and love invested in them

EldarBishop
14-05-2009, 13:10
Other then the standard answers of DE and =][= (of which I play BOTH) :p

I'd also say Necrons and Tyranids have a low player count in my area. There's been less Tau as of late, prob due to 5th ed SMF nerf.

We have lots of SM, CSM, IG, and Eldar.

fluffstalker
14-05-2009, 14:28
Not all of the DE models are horrific. I for one like the sleek and lethal looking raider and ravager models.

The DE lord with the skin stretched across his face is quite disturbing, and the warriors are so-so.

The Talos and Wyches are just.. lol.. and the scourges are just warriors with wings.

I still love playing DE though.

Anyone have any armies of DE where they used Dark Elf models from WFB? It just came to me, and now I must start one! Bikers= cold one knights, use the dreadlords on round bases, I dont see why not! Crossbows as splinter rifles?

Drools..Im off to do some sketching.

d0dgeuk
14-05-2009, 14:34
From my local club I will say there are no Space Wolf and no Dark Eldar armies at all. Everything else I think is represented. Main reasons being Space Wolves codex is so old it is etched on a stone tablet and the rules start with

1) Thall shalt not....

and Dark Eldar is mainly the models I think and the ancient unloved codex with half* the upgrades listed in the FAQ as "not applicable to this edition of the rules".

* where half is a rough approximation from memory with artist license to help me make my point.

Col. Frost
14-05-2009, 15:13
I'd say Dark Eldar.

I was taking part in a doubles tournament when we came up against DE opponents. Even though we were experienced veteran players, we spent the first few minutes before setting up asking what a lot of the models were and what it was equipped with...

LonelyPath
14-05-2009, 15:59
From what I see when playing, GK, SoB, DE and Crons are the least common, though I do regularly see 2 SoB and 3 or 4 GK players (though not always with those armies).

Acheron143
14-05-2009, 17:06
I loved my dark eldar when they came out, but uh editions have past us by and my DE force hasn't hit the table in close to 8ish years.

Urath
14-05-2009, 18:16
Down at my local (well it's in St.Albans as I moved to Luton D:) I basically only see Space Marine players. The store is infested with Astartes variant armies, very few Chaos players and one or two Eldar players.

I once saw a few guys gaming with Sisters of Battle, Deamonhunters and Tyranids. A site I don't expect to see again haha

I think I'm the only Dark Eldar player to have ever set foot in that store.

NYPunkGeek
14-05-2009, 18:16
Squats, since no one wants to play Space Dwarves.

Raibaru
14-05-2009, 18:25
Dark Eldar, Demon Hunters and Witch Hunters. Why is simple, they've never been given the support they deserve, let alone enough to actually reassure players that the armies would still be there in the next edition.

40kdhs
14-05-2009, 18:30
DE
GK
SoB
need more time and love invested in them

Definitely.

Latro_
14-05-2009, 19:28
Down at my local (well it's in St.Albans as I moved to Luton D:) I basically only see Space Marine players. The store is infested with Astartes variant armies, very few Chaos players and one or two Eldar players.

I once saw a few guys gaming with Sisters of Battle, Deamonhunters and Tyranids. A site I don't expect to see again haha

I think I'm the only Dark Eldar player to have ever set foot in that store.

hey come upto the bedford store, plenty of different armies!

Hrw-Amen
14-05-2009, 20:02
From a personal viewpoint I don't like Tau, simply because they are so manga looking and don't fit the look and feel of the 40K universe.

I am also in two minds about 'nids, not because they are bugs, that is the one good thing about them, they are virtually the only non humanoid race. However I don't like the bio weapons. I would rather have a non humanoid army that is also technically advanced to produce its own tech, not simply have it as some sort of evolutionary quirk. A bit like those fly things the Tau now have as allies, the name escapes me at present, but with some models that look better and a proper fully fledged background. 'Nids with tanks would be good, and no, not bio-tanks.

ps. I actually like SOB.