PDA

View Full Version : Bretonnia 2250 list used

Once Bitten
14-05-2009, 00:53
For those of you interested, here is the list I'm using for my games on the "Bretonnian batreps on youtube" thread. The first few games had a slight variation on my bsb, but not too much.

Characters
Lord, Royal Pegasus, Heavy Armor, Shield, Sword of Heroes, Gromril Great Helm, Virtue of Audacity, Grail Vow; 286 points.
Paladin, warhorse, BSB, ciurass of Fortune, Virtue of Joust; 119 points
Damsel, level 1, warhorse, 2 dispel scrolls; 130

Core Knights
8 Knights Errant, FC, Errantry Banner; 201 points
5 Knights Errant, champion, 100 points
9 Knights of the Realm, FC, 232 points
5 Knights of the Realm, champion, 120 points

Core Peasants
20 Men-at-Arms, FC
10 Peasant Bowmen, skirmishers, braziers; 75 points
10 Peasant Bowmen, braziers; 65 points
10 Peasant Bowmen, braziers; 65 points

Special Units
3 Pegasus Knights, Champion; 165 points
3 Pegasus Knights, Champion; 165 points
5 Mounted Yeoman, Musician, bow, spear; 82 points

Rare Units
5 Grail Knights, FC; 220 points
Field Trebuchet; 90 points

Total Points: 2242
Casting Dice: 3
Dispel: 3

stonetroll
14-05-2009, 01:44
Thanks for the list!

Interesting choices you made there with plenty of knights on the table!

How do you cope with heavy magic armies like VC though? I fear they will severely tarpit your army.

Your BSB has a rather unconventional setup, how does that work for you?

Also, do you not miss the musicians in all the units that miss them? (all knights, peggie knights and M@A)

Once Bitten
14-05-2009, 02:53
Regarding magic ...

Oh, I'm definitely light on my magic defense with this list. There's no getting around the fact that I'm going to take some bruises against magic heavy armies. The only VC player I've gone up against with this army was not an experienced VC player, and his list wasn't too magic heavy. However, he is a very good player with other armies, and I expect that he'll pick up on VC strategies very quickly - and so I should get some good experience against VC pretty soon. My plan would be:

1) line up a charge with my general to kill his general - sometimes easier said than done, but nevertheless something to try for when playing VC

2) get into combat asap - but make sure I'm getting frontal and flank charges.

3) I have 2 dispel scrolls in case he gets off game-breaker spells - which most likely would be a dance macabre by a big block of black knights into one of my key units - but I also hate that spell that makes me roll a die for each of my units. (I have 13 of them!)

Other than that, he will have more magic, but I will have more troops that hit harder, save better, and mover further. It'd be fun to try it out.

I did play a couple games against a very magic heavy daemon list a couple months ago. I beat him in a 1,000 pt game (barely). In the 2250 game, he had, I think, 18-20 power dice and 4 bound spells. He won, but it was pretty close. AND, I wasn't smart enough to make sure I killed his BSB with the banner that makes his units stubborn. Had I done that, it would've gone a little better for me. His magic was brutal, but my 2+ armor save combined with the 5 or 6+ ward saves really help me out against it.

Of course, when I played him, I think I had a slightly different list - with 2 damsels and 3 scrolls. I'm going to try to get by with this little magic defense because I hate to spend points on it. BUT, if I start getting pounded by the enemy mages, I may have to re-think things.

Once Bitten
14-05-2009, 03:00
Regarding my BSB, I've never studied other Bretonnian army lists, so I'm not sure what a more conventional build would be for a BSB. I like this because I get to re-roll my to-hits (on the charge only), as well as most or all of my to-wound rolls. Quite honestly, he hasn't been in combat enough for me to evaluate him yet.

Regarding musicians, I have them in both of my big knights units and in my M@A unit - and in my fast cav. I'd like to have them in my pegasus knight units and in both of my smaller knight "reserve" units, but I just don't have the points - and it's not worth it to me yet to give up one of my units so I could afford some more musicians, etc. I may need to rethink this eventually, as it would be smarter to put those musicians in, as well as add a few M@A to that anvil unit to preserve the 3-rank bonus after a few wounds. I've considered cutting out the 5-man KOTR unit in order to get the points I need, but right now I just love having all those units running around. :cool:

stonetroll
14-05-2009, 03:49
1. I agree that the MSU-type army you got going seems pretty solid when you're not facing too many PD, so I can see why you're not too happy dropping your 5-man KOTR unit.

2. The game where you altered to 2 damsels just because you faought demons.... I guess people do it, but I would not be too keen to tailor my list to fight certain opponents. Yes, magical defence is expensive, but I think it's vital to keep those killer spells from going off.

3. I didn't notice this before, but I think your current BSB is not equipped as you think he is!
He does NOT have a lance (thus making virtue of the joust uselss). You can also NOT buy him a mundane lance (but you can get a magical lance as shown below).

4. As to one of the more conventional setups for a BSB:

Wyrmlance + War Banner
Virtue of Duty + War Banner
Gromril Great Helm + Sword of Might/Wyrmlance

5. Also, I really like your Bretonnian Lord for several reasons:
- (obviously) he unlocks your second unit of Pegasus Knights
- Hes a good warmachine hunter
- He keeps enemy monsters (especially dragons & GDs) on a distance

However do you not think that the setup below would better serve this purpose?
Lord, Royal Pegasus, Heavy Armor, Shield, Lance, Gromril Great Helm, Tres of Isoulde, Virtue of Heroism, Grail Vow; 287 points.

Gives him Killing Blow against large targets, 2+ to hit (one round) and, quite importantly, he does NOT use a magical weapon, which really helps out vs bloodthirsters with Obsidian Armour!

Once Bitten
14-05-2009, 12:08
2. The game where you altered to 2 damsels just because you faought demons.... I guess people do it, but I would not be too keen to tailor my list to fight certain opponents. Yes, magical defence is expensive, but I think it's vital to keep those killer spells from going off.

Oh, I didn't change my list for that game. That was the list I used to play. I agree with you. It doesn't make sense to alter your army list depending on your opponent. That's why I like to build a balanced, all-comers list.

3. I didn't notice this before, but I think your current BSB is not equipped as you think he is! He does NOT have a lance (thus making virtue of the joust uselss). You can also NOT buy him a mundane lance...

Oh Sh**!!! Oops. Details, Details. :) Yeah, I'll have to change him up a little bit. Thanks for pointing out my mistake and for the suggestions.

5. Also, I really like your Bretonnian Lord for several reasons:
- (obviously) he unlocks your second unit of Pegasus Knights
- Hes a good warmachine hunter
- He keeps enemy monsters (especially dragons & GDs) on a distance

You hit the nail on the head with reasons 1 & 3. However, I think my general would rarely condescend to attack something as pitiful as a war machine. He is a snooty Bretonnian Lord.

However do you not think that the setup below would better serve this purpose?
Lord, Royal Pegasus, Heavy Armor, Shield, Lance, Gromril Great Helm, Tres of Isoulde, Virtue of Heroism, Grail Vow; 287 points. Gives him Killing Blow against large targets, 2+ to hit (one round) and, quite importantly, he does NOT use a magical weapon, which really helps out vs bloodthirsters with Obsidian Armour!

Very possibly. I'll take a closer look at it.

Thanks for all the ideas!

Dark_Knight
14-05-2009, 14:00
I played a magic heavy game and this is how I adapted your list (I don't have a Peggy Lord or one last Peggy Knight yet, plus I had to take a Prophetess for a general per the theme):

Characters:
Prophetess of the Lady (General)-with GK, Bret Warhorse, Level 4 wizard , The Silver Mirror, Power Stone
Paladin (BSB)-with KE, Mantle of the Damsel Elena, Bret Warhorse, Grail Vow, Gromril Great Helm
Paladin (Hero)-with KE, Bret Warhorse, Shield, Virtue of Audacity, Wyrmlance, Grail Vow
Damsel (Hero)-level 2 wizard, Dispel Scrolls 2, Bret Warhorse, with KotR

Core:
Knights of the Realm-7 knights, FC
Knights Errant-8 knights, FC
Knights Errant-8 knights, FC, Errantry Banner
Knights Errant-5 knights, musician
Peasant Bowmen-10 bowmen, skirmishing, Braziers, light armor, Villein
Peasant Bowmen-10 bowmen, Braziers, light armor
Peasant Bowmen-10 bowmen, Braziers, light armor
Men-at-Arms-20 peasants, FC, spears and shields

Special:
Pegasus Knights-5 knights, FC
Peasant Yeomen-5 peasants, musician, shield

Rare:
Grail Knights-5 knights, FC
Field Trebuchet-4 peasants

It worked out perfectly against my WE (wood elves) friend and opponent. He usually massacres me but all my characters survived and all but one knight unit survived (the 8 KE without the BSB ran off the board when some Dryads charged them unlucky for me but luckily I had my BSB in the KotR accidently during deployment). We fought to a Draw with me getting the better of him by 111 points. WE love fear and Killing blow so I made my BSB a survivor. He does fine with his regular stats anyways.

Once Bitten
14-05-2009, 14:07
Yea!!! Congratulations!

From a string of massacres to a draw - that's cool. And ... you're not even familiar with your new list yet.

Dark_Knight
14-05-2009, 14:09
I know right! Thanks dude! I needed this draw. Now to get some massacres of my own! Huzzah for Rincewind's Mousillon Regiment! We salute Once Bitten and his band ofsterling examples to how to fight as a Bretonnian!

Once Bitten
14-05-2009, 14:19
That's funny. Don't put me on too high a pedestal. I know I've had a lucky streak for the last few games, but I obviously have a long way to go. Most of the games I've posted have been against opponents who were fairly new to their current army. I'm not sure any of us are playing brilliantly yet. (Although, I am very happy with that 3rd tournament game!)

I hope that in future games you won't have to take a prophetess. Like you said, even with her you didn't get any spells off.

Dark_Knight
14-05-2009, 15:10
Yeah, she sucked. I think 2 level 2 Damsels is the highest i will ever go with magic. It just isn't even plausible with every other army having ridiculous dispell items. My WE opponent had some staff that allowed him to re-roll every dispel roll that wasn't successful. He said it cost 55 points and I was like... well, I guess those extra levels cut down on having more troops for the battle we fought. :) My WE opponent is my best friend though so its all good. He's really good in battle. REALLY GOOD! :) Its ridiculous some times. :)