PDA

View Full Version : Steam Tank questions about power

thetauruns
14-05-2009, 01:22
Hey I just recently started playin' warhammer fantasy and i have a friend who plays empire who posses a steam tank. Now im not one hundred precent sure how it works but what ive been told is that it just rolls up and wrecks and kills what ever it goes against.

Is this true?

I personally play Chaos Daemons and what ive been told is that this tank could easlly take out most of my army with no problem, if so, is there anything i can do to counter the tank.

Any help would be great.

pkain762
14-05-2009, 03:50
haha the steam tank is actually one of the easiest units to deal with in the game....

he has to declare how many steam points he wants to build up.... and he rolls a die... if he rolls over his wounds (of 10) he loses a wound and can't do anything that turn.... example he wants to build 5 steam points, rolls a six... 11 that's over his wounds so he loses one.... having 9 wounds now

the key to crippling a steam tank is to wound it to take it out of the game.... shoot it turn one and two with magic missiles and it won't be able to do anything the rest of the game....

steam tank is good if it hits you with all 10 wounds.... but as soon as it's wounded.... it might as well be garbage...

kain

Briohmar
14-05-2009, 09:07
Heralds of Slaanesh with Etherblades are really nasty to the tank, and even moreso, a Keeper of Secrets with Etherblade. Heralds of Tzeentch and Horrors can really hurt it with Flickering fire and a good strength roll. On the Warriors side, Flickering fire is nasty still, a Giant can thump with club, and obliterate it, since it has a low initiative. Anything with High strength and no armor saves allowed is devastating to a STank.

EvC
14-05-2009, 09:15
Well, Heralds of Slaanesh only wound on 6, so it's not very likely. But yeah, anything that is high strength and/or no armour will do it in. As pkain says, all you have to do to hurt it is to hurt it ;)

sulla
14-05-2009, 11:32
Heralds of Slaanesh with Etherblades are really nasty to the tank, and even moreso, a Keeper of Secrets with Etherblade. Heralds of Tzeentch and Horrors can really hurt it with Flickering fire and a good strength roll. On the Warriors side, Flickering fire is nasty still, a Giant can thump with club, and obliterate it, since it has a low initiative. Anything with High strength and no armor saves allowed is devastating to a STank.

Good luck with the slaaneshi herald. You have to do about 4 wounds to make the tank virtually useless. Can't see a herald ever doing that.

Just go for a s10 bloodthirster.:evilgrin:

I second flickering fire too. Even flamers can be a pest and take a wound off due to weight of fire. (I took two off with 2 units of repeater crossbowmen in 2 shooting phases last time I played one.)

fubukii
15-05-2009, 01:25
yea steam tanks are so bad....

str 6 t6 1+ save. unless your packing a seriously powerful magic missle it will bounce off.
most missle fire that isnt a bolt thrower or stronger wont cut it.

Witchblade
15-05-2009, 02:04
What fubukii said.

The solution: Kolek Suneater. He does 9.72 wounds per turn on the STank. :D

Scythe
15-05-2009, 05:39
I second flickering fire too. Even flamers can be a pest and take a wound off due to weight of fire. (I took two off with 2 units of repeater crossbowmen in 2 shooting phases last time I played one.)

Flamers are probably even better when you charge them into combat with the tank. Wounding on 5s and reducing the save to 3+ helps a lot. But then, flamers are the universal solution to anything in the warhammer world.

danny-d-b
15-05-2009, 06:18
yer- just don't let it hit you, If it chargers you you can be looking at 6D3 inpact hits (anything between 6 and 18) at S6

so yep just hit it with some big magic- but rember only direct magic dammage does dammage it, no trying to pit of shades it as nothing will happen

fubukii
15-05-2009, 10:48
dont forget it has 10 wounds and it is a point denial monster.

you have to kill it to get any points from it and with 10 wounds thats troublesome

Briohmar
15-05-2009, 11:03
My Herald did manage 4 wounds in two rounds of combat, but I had some lucky rolls. My remaining 'Nettes added another wound, thanks to a 1 on an armor save, so the guy was loathe to try to generate any points after that, and we just stayed locked in combat.