PDA

View Full Version : Good thing I can count!

Sir_Lunchalot
14-05-2009, 07:42
So it turns out the 1800 point army I was planning on using with the new Guard codex is actually 2060 points. The weird part is that I made a number of versions and each time I did the math for the different lists I completely failed to notice that I was somewhere between 200 and 300 points over.

I haven't played any games with the over points list, but damn I feel stupid. This happened to anyone else, where you completely failed to notice a stupid, and glaring mistake?

unclejimbo827
14-05-2009, 08:02
I routinely forgot to deploy my infiltrating ratlings. Usually my opponent will say, "That's fine, you can just outflank them instead" (which isn't too great either). I then normally forgot to roll for reserves for the rats.

gonzosbignose
14-05-2009, 09:10
Considering all the numeracy in Warhammer/40k et al... its amazing how many mistakes you see.

I think mess ups in addition happen regularly... although... by the sounds of it... you've made this so many time... your liekly to feel a bit of a thicky!

My biggest howler in terms of counting... is units actually!!!

I went to a warhammer tournement and played three of my five games only using 3 units of clan rats... despite having 4 in my army list! :(

what a plonker!!!

regards

My name is Daniel and i am a wargamer

Mojaco
14-05-2009, 09:15
Coincidentally, I had the same as the OP. 200 pts over using the new codex, which normally never happens. Perhaps they put something in the glue that holds it together?

lequaye
14-05-2009, 09:35
In the last year or so I have started to forget the army's book/codex when I go to friends houses. At first this was quite funny (well maybe not quite funny, but I did not lose sleep over it), now it is just very annoying! I guess I should have not sucked on all those lead GW miniatures when I was but just a lad.

but as far as counting goes apocalypse always seems to bring my brain to a crashing halt and I'm not proud of it. Large points worth of troops + large templates = 'errr, well ok but how many models do you want me to remove I've lost count!'

Saxon
14-05-2009, 10:11
I played a 1200 point tourny where one of the players fielded 1300 points! he'd just chucked all the models he had in his transport case onto the table assuming it was right- basically had an extra mob of ork shoota boyz - only picked up in game 4! - and he didn't win them all either!

rossatdi
14-05-2009, 10:42
The expression "No, you can't have 4 heavy support choices" rings a bell.

inquisitor solarris
14-05-2009, 10:44
I accidently forget to bring my whrilwind into the game (every point is vital)

Pholostan
14-05-2009, 10:50
Last game I bought a horribly expensive Storm Trooper-unit. Deep strike was the plan. I remember rolling for reserves on turn two, and then I kind of forgot about it. 100+ points that never got used in a 1500 point battle. Not that i think it would have made much of a difference, I were practically wiped out in turn five.

nazrag
14-05-2009, 10:55
Forgot my land raider at home. Didn't notice it until turn 5 iirc, or rather I din't notice, my opponent did. Asked me why I deepstriked my lightning claws terminators..forgetting 250pts in a 1500pts game, rending my super-duper assault squad useless...

Facepalms ensuded..

Lamoron
14-05-2009, 11:14
I write myself a checklist... otherwise I play half a game.

Reserves.

Unit -Movement -Shooting - Assault
Shoota boyz - Done - Done - Done
Slugga boyz - Done - Done -
Etc.

I skip entire phases, forget units behind buildings, and have reserves never come on the board.

Crovax20
14-05-2009, 11:42
hehe thats why its good to always take a good look at the table when you are wrapping up one of your phases. I always do that, scan the table for each unit. We usually have reserves sitting on a non-used corner of the table so scanning the table for a few seconds solves all those forget to do anything with these guys problem

Radium
14-05-2009, 12:01
I played a 1200 point tourny where one of the players fielded 1300 points! he'd just chucked all the models he had in his transport case onto the table assuming it was right- basically had an extra mob of ork shoota boyz - only picked up in game 4! - and he didn't win them all either!

I've seen people give command squads free jump packs or mount their entire armies in free drop pods...

I've made numerous mistakes calculating new lists, but I never fielded an army like that.

Thud
14-05-2009, 12:23
I keep forgetting the Eldar psychic powers at the beginning of the turn. Bloody annoying.

Sir_Lunchalot
15-05-2009, 04:32
I've seen people ... mount their entire armies in free drop pods...

Ah 3rd edition marines. the fun.

mr.kislev
15-05-2009, 09:37
when i first looked at the old imperial guard codex i thought that the price for each squad was actully the entire platoon.

Tourniquet
15-05-2009, 10:45
Yah i failed hard at adding up with my new eldar.
Over costed DA's by 15. Overcosted farseer by 10.
Ended up with 60 spare points.
yay got me 3 more Misiles!

GGM007
15-05-2009, 12:06
Not to do with addition but..
Me regular opponent and I were both convinced that Kroot were I4 and Stealthies T4, I don't know where we got that idea but took about 8 games before I noticed......oh and I was convinced Whirlies came with a stormbolter too......

Nevermind......