PDA

View Full Version : Plastic Titans?

Arbiter7
14-05-2009, 10:54
First, it was the Baneblade, now the Stompa.

Has anyone got any hints, heard any rumors for more plastic superheavies/titans to come?

I'd kill for a 60£ revenant titan!

And I know others that would do the same for a warhound!

MajorWesJanson
14-05-2009, 11:20
Honestly, they could fit both the Revenant and the Tau Barricuda in a Valkerye size box and price point.

My hope is to see both of those units, as well as maybe the T-Hawk or Warhound in plastic for next years Apoc season.

Nero
14-05-2009, 11:24
The Warhound is a sound bet, given as how it can be logically included in a fair few armies (Space Marines, Imperial Guard, Chaos Space Marines, Inquisition). Then again, logic had nothing to do with which armies could include Baneblades (i.e. all of them, including Tyranids and Daemons).

However, the Warhound is a fairly complicated model. The only reason the Orks got their 'own' titan is because the Stompa is basically just a big 'shell' of a model. It's relatively easy to manufacture, whereas the Warhound has fiddly legs and lots of little gubbins.

MajorWesJanson
14-05-2009, 11:39
The Warhound is a sound bet, given as how it can be logically included in a fair few armies (Space Marines, Imperial Guard, Chaos Space Marines, Inquisition). Then again, logic had nothing to do with which armies could include Baneblades (i.e. all of them, including Tyranids and Daemons).

However, the Warhound is a fairly complicated model. The only reason the Orks got their 'own' titan is because the Stompa is basically just a big 'shell' of a model. It's relatively easy to manufacture, whereas the Warhound has fiddly legs and lots of little gubbins.

Eh, To be honest they could really simplify a lot of the leg parts from the FW versions. Things like the Toes do not really need to be 9 or 10 pieces each. Set the legs as a sort of scaled up Sentinal, as that design works rather well. Make each foot so that it stands flat, and let people pose the legs. For a mass model, you do not need the insane amount of posability the FW one gives. You could do Two piece toes and a two piece foot, sort of how the Stompa is put together. Have an ankle joint that is ball and socket, maybe add hydraulics at the ankle like the FW one. Each leg segment could be 4 pieces: front, back, left and right sides. Mirror both left and right legs to save on sprue designs. Have another ball and socket where the legs meet the hips, and more pistons here. Central waist mount, then a Lucious pattern Torso. No need for a full interior on a plastic, just a cockpit. Simplifies construction of the torso a lot. Am weapons could be interchangable, and have either 2 or all 4 on a sprue, so you put one in the box and sell thaat sprue direct.

Slaaaaaanesh
14-05-2009, 11:48
Totally agree with MajorWesJanson, one could easily imagine simplifying key components of the FW warhound titan into easily mouldable two piece parts. So heres hoping. :)

pookie
14-05-2009, 11:57
I think the only Super heavy we will see is the TH, the rest really would just be wild dreams tbh, its chepear to produce Titans in resin than plastic.

remeber that the cost is based on sales that they need to make before they even break even on plastic moulds. hence why the LR is quite a expensive model compaired to things like the rhino etc.

SylverClaw
14-05-2009, 12:02
If anything, T-Hawk will be first.

a) It's the poster's boys army.
b) It's basically a box with wings.
c) The last aircraft released seems to have gone down a storm.

Brucopeloso
14-05-2009, 12:12
Hope not! :mad:

Seriously, the resources to develop such a large model (a single model and only usable in apocalypse to boot) are better used elsewhere (plastic Sister of Battle, Dark Eldar range, better Necrons, plastic Chaos Dreadnought etc. etc.).

Just my opinion :angel:

Mr Stu
14-05-2009, 12:18
Although plastic superheavies like titans, thunderhawks etc would be a truly wonderful thing, the reality is that GW will spend the resources on updating some of the older models like the CSM Dread and the D'elder.:(

larabic
14-05-2009, 12:30
Hoping for a Cobra / Scorpion Super heavy grav tank myself...

JustTony
14-05-2009, 12:38
Hoping for a Cobra / Scorpion Super heavy grav tank myself...

Ditto and then some!!

I have a Scorpion II and I think it would be very easy to do in plastic. And the same applies to the Revenant titan. Other than the complicated foot assembly it's a very easy model to build and would also be easy to do in plastic. I'd buy three of each.

Of course there are a lot of regular models that need to be done in plastic as well, Ork Dreads and Kans, Nid Gargoyles for example.

Peace: through well designed, new plastic kits.

Satan
14-05-2009, 12:50
Hope they don't as I plan on purchasing a chaos warhound later this year.

Papa JJ
14-05-2009, 13:03

Seriously, the resources to develop such a large model (a single model and only usable in apocalypse to boot) are better used elsewhere (plastic Sister of Battle, Dark Eldar range, better Necrons, plastic Chaos Dreadnought etc. etc.).

Of course there are a lot of regular models that need to be done in plastic as well, Ork Dreads and Kans, Nid Gargoyles for example.

Even though the Banablade and Stompa are really cool kits, I would much prefer their efforts going to updating and expanding the ranges for the primary game rather than new Apoc-only super heavies. It is very rare when I have the time for games of that size and so new mega-kits would not have much appeal for me.

Born Again
14-05-2009, 13:13

Although plastic superheavies like titans, thunderhawks etc would be a truly wonderful thing, the reality is that GW will spend the resources on updating some of the older models like the CSM Dread and the D'elder.:(

The conflict on these two consecutive posts made me lol :p

I really don't think we'd see a plastic titan anytime soon. They know people who are that desperate will buy a FW one, and it'd be an incredibly complex and expensive kit.

MAYBE we could see a Knight, though...

Remember that a Titan would be quite a bit bigger than existing superheavies, a stompa is not in the same size category as even a Warhound, let alone a Reaver.

I'd be all for things like Tau Barracudas though, Eldar Cobras, etc... they'd be cool.

TheFloatingHead
14-05-2009, 13:20
It would be nice to see a plastic Revenant or Warhound. A Revenant would be less difficult to produce because they are so thin compared to the much bulkier Warhound. A much simplified Warhound seems innevitable, maybe in a few years if the company keeps doing well. Then again, like some others here have mentioned, there are a lot of other things such as Chaos Dreads, Sisters, Crons and D. Eldar, Ork Buggies and Flash Gitz, Guard Battle Psykers and all their tanks, and more that we would hope to see in plastic. I would certainly buy a Warhound if one was ever made in plastic.

Cool_Mint
14-05-2009, 14:36
If it happens at all I don't think it will be for at least a couple of years, it would be an expensive model with a limited market. The Ork Stomper is a relatively simple construction so they were able to get the price down to what is really a very low price.

Personally I think Scout Titans are too big for the tabletop but Titan Knights might be feasible. They tower over Rhinos and LandRaiders but they're probably not much bigger than some of the Gundam animé robot kits.

psyduck86
14-05-2009, 15:33
I'd hope for a Thunderhawk over xenos stuff :)

Raibaru
14-05-2009, 15:45
Weren't there rumors of the brass scorpion thing being remade in plastic? Same with the Tyranid Trygon? Both of which are super heavies, correct? If Eldar got something, it would probably be close to the DE release so the two armies could share it.

d0dgeuk
14-05-2009, 15:50
I've heard this titan rumour as well. I'd love a plastic Titan but can't see it realistically happening for a couple of years. There are plenty of codecies that need updating and GW are more likely to make money on that than investing resource into a plastic warhound. My guess would be if we where to see it it would be in a possible lull between the scheduled 5th ed codecies being completed and 6th ed being released.

BigJon
14-05-2009, 16:57
I would love to see Plastic Titans/War Machines and Bio-Creatures for all races.

Not only would plastic titans add so much to the larger games but for the hobby
aspect they would be a blast. I bought and built a Stompa and don't even own
an Ork army just for the fun of it. It was by far one of the most fun model kits
I've built and painted in a long time and am now planning an Ork army around it.

I think the APOC and Planet Strike format has lifted the game somewhat. I remember
the days where we would build 10,000 point list and fight on my friends living room floor
over a long weekend. Large scale battles have always been a blast and the larger
the model the better. Titan-vs.-Titan battles could be a game on its own right, and
not the epic version.

RCgothic
14-05-2009, 17:18
Titans really need better rules though, the superheavy rules just don't seem to cut it.

Da_Killa
16-05-2009, 11:56
yeah i would kill for a $160aud titan
titan vs titan that would be awesome

Kelanen
16-05-2009, 15:32
Titan-vs.-Titan battles could be a game on its own right, and
not the epic version.

*laughs* It already was - 20 years ago.

It was called Adeptus Titanicus, which then had rules for vehicles, and eventually infantry added, and then all got overhauled as 'Epic'. Titans were much bigger and more powerful then tho...

RCgothic
16-05-2009, 15:35
No, Titans were exactly the same size or smaller, as you'll find Emperor Class (20-40m) in the adeptus titanicus rulebook.

TimLeeson
16-05-2009, 15:45

An opinion I share and agree with completely, I think stuff like the Stompa was a complete waste of plastic IMHO, ork stuff is best scratchbuilt as any homemade Stompa will prove - they should IMO use these resources to do units which actually NEED plastics like the poor ol Inquisition which has -no- plastics!

Gutlord Grom
16-05-2009, 16:51
An opinion I share and agree with completely, I think stuff like the Stompa was a complete waste of plastic IMHO, ork stuff is best scratchbuilt as any homemade Stompa will prove - they should IMO use these resources to do units which actually NEED plastics like the poor ol Inquisition which has -no- plastics!

I disagree on that. The Stompa's a nice model, and it allows ork players who aren't good at scratch building to get a super heavy that looks cool.

As for a plastic Warhound, I'm on the fence. It'd be nice to have more Titans around, but on the flip side some model ranges need reworking into plastic. I think there's a possibility of one someday, but probably not soon.

aad
16-05-2009, 18:32
The conflict on these two consecutive posts made me lol :p

I really don't think we'd see a plastic titan anytime soon. They know people who are that desperate will buy a FW one, and it'd be an incredibly complex and expensive kit.

MAYBE we could see a Knight, though...

Remember that a Titan would be quite a bit bigger than existing superheavies, a stompa is not in the same size category as even a Warhound, let alone a Reaver.

I'd be all for things like Tau Barracudas though, Eldar Cobras, etc... they'd be cool.

your comments doesn,t seems to make any sense what so ever....
you could say the same thing about the baneblade(and it CAME),you could say the same thing about the shadowsword(and it CAME even when a fw conversion kit was already there).

nobody is desperate to get a titan and then buying one from FW for TOO MUCH money.
the people that are desperate make them from scratch.
there are even complete drawing plans for how to make the parts and then only have to glue the parts together.

their is nothing complex about making a warhound titan, not everything has to be in that many parts as the FW one.
the feet for instance are real easy to make in plasticcard, so why should it be so hard for them??
it could cost 120 euro,s/80 pounds

a knight doesn,t have the apeal for a superheavy. it doesn,t have the love from many of the gamers, some modellers make their knights because they get the possibility to model their behinds of and be creative.
so a knight would be a waste of plastic its ''the diet coke of titans just one calorie not titan enough'' (free-quoting dr evil).

my baneblades are 23 cm long,have you ever measured a stompa?? its about 25 cm tall(depending what you make of it), as tall as a warhound(25 cm) so why your talking about big size differences i don,t know.

barracuda,s are bigger models, and cobra,s are almost the same size as a baneblade wich is almost the same size as a warhound. :D

Maidel
16-05-2009, 18:54
I think the only Super heavy we will see is the TH, the rest really would just be wild dreams tbh, its chepear to produce Titans in resin than plastic.

remeber that the cost is based on sales that they need to make before they even break even on plastic moulds. hence why the LR is quite a expensive model compaired to things like the rhino etc.

I worked for GW at the time when the 'new' landraider was released.

Do you realise at the time it was the most expensive box they had ever made (as in the cost to make that one model was more than for any other single boxed unit.)

and yet, on the day of release it paid for all the production costs - so every single landraider that has been sold since that first day is pure profit for the company.

If your theory was correct then boxes like the tomb kings normal core unit boxes would probably be £100 each. I doubt they will every 'make' money from that mold, but they have to make those boxes or else other more profitable items wont sell.

Its not like a normal cost/price issue. You cant say 'no one is buying this, stop selling it' or 'this costs too much and for what we are selling it at it doesnt make money' because you cant have different prices for different armies for the same boxes (eg all core unit boxes for fantasy are the same price).

If you look at it the land raider (£35) is significantly larger than the rhino (£18) which is pretty much the same size as the leman russ tank (£25) but the rhino is the same size as the chimera (£20) which is a much older model and thus should have already paid for itself. So the pricing is based purely on the number of sprues (And the size of those sprues) that go into making them.

They wont, in the current market, ever make something the size of the warhound titan - it wouldnt be financially viable for them. 5 years time - who knows - things might have turned around, plastic molding might be cheaper.

TheOTHERmaninblack
17-05-2009, 04:04
I dunno, I think the model could be simplified and built with a reasonable number of sprues. Plastic is both lighter in weight and more structurally sound for that weight than resin, allowing, I think, many of the parts of the existing model to be combined. Particularly with the new tech we've seen with the baneblade kits.

There's also the matter of status. Like the roleplayer's dice bag filled with polys he'll NEVER use but owns for geek cred, the lure of owning a TITAN will pull many in who wouldn't think of spending the money normally. I think, even if they had to use half again or even double the number of sprues as the Baneblade and then sell the Warhound for $190, it would still sell like crazy just for the shelf props it would grant the builder.

As far as building super heavies and titans before regular lines get redone, remember that building a single superheavy/monstrous model brings in, not only the sales of that particular model, but attendant sales of all the models you'll field with it in those large apocalypse games. Models already in the line, in many cases.

Unlike the trygon, which IS coming, I have no information on the warhound. I only hope they do one, since I'm every bit as geeky as the next 40Ker and will get my hands on one as soon as possible after it hits the shelf. I might even use it, since we've stated playing games in the 12,000 point per side range already, and I really should give all those Shadowswords something to shoot at.

gamble
17-05-2009, 04:11
lol every little kid would have a titan, d weapons galore meh nvm i would just bring my emperor down lol

Astraeos
17-05-2009, 10:49
I noticed in the Battle report WD did when the Stompa was released the similar sizes of it and the Warhound. Ever since then I wondered if we'd ever see a Plastic Warhound. It'd be nice to be able to buy one without having to pay Forgeworld's price tag, which is out of reach for some players.

Lord of Worms
17-05-2009, 11:21
On the subject of the Stompa. I WISH I played orks. I could literally bring garbage home from work and make 'super-heavies' with no effort at all. If Ork players are incapable of re-creating the stompa from scratch then they don't deserve one IMO. It would take all of 30 minutes and literally garbage materials. Total cash-grab on GW's part instead of making something that the average guy can't scratch build. I call BS! Lord of Worms is displeased and they WILL feel my wrath!

keatsmeister
17-05-2009, 14:13
Titans really need better rules though, the superheavy rules just don't seem to cut it.

I can just picture a Titan-based spin-off game happening, cranking up the detail in much the same way Inquisitor did. Hell, if I thought about, (or could be bothered) you could probably work out a Titan-based game using the Inquisitor ruleset as a base. That'd probably shift a Titan or two

RCgothic
17-05-2009, 15:05
I can just picture a Titan-based spin-off game happening, cranking up the detail in much the same way Inquisitor did. Hell, if I thought about, (or could be bothered) you could probably work out a Titan-based game using the Inquisitor ruleset as a base. That'd probably shift a Titan or two

You mean EPIC. ;)

W40k needs better titan rules.

Super ODST
17-05-2009, 16:05
i would love to have a plastic warhound but i would prefer plastic stormtroopers especially with planetstrike around the corner.

keatsmeister
17-05-2009, 16:49
You mean EPIC. ;)

W40k needs better titan rules.

Nope, much as I like Epic, not what I meant. I could see a large scale Titan game. Perhaps it'd borrow a few Epic rules to cover infantry and general "midgets" but an Inquisitor-style system would allow players to customise their Titans, and tear into specific targets on the opposing Titan. More along the lines of an RPG

Maidel
17-05-2009, 16:51
Nope, much as I like Epic, not what I meant. I could see a large scale Titan game. Perhaps it'd borrow a few Epic rules to cover infantry and general "midgets" but an Inquisitor-style system would allow players to customise their Titans, and tear into specific targets on the opposing Titan. More along the lines of an RPG

You did see the old titan system in adeptus titanicus didnt you?

So many weapon options it was crazy and you had specific damage tables - actually rather like inquisitor.

And then you got the second edition of the game with a titan so huge it had its own card to keep track of what the hell it was doing.

keatsmeister
17-05-2009, 17:06
You did see the old titan system in adeptus titanicus didnt you?

So many weapon options it was crazy and you had specific damage tables - actually rather like inquisitor.

And then you got the second edition of the game with a titan so huge it had its own card to keep track of what the hell it was doing.

I never said I wanted to play it, just I could see it happening :) Never did play Adeptus Titanicus. I may have a look into writing something along those lines for a club night sometime, but I couldn't picture GW releasing a plastic Titan without some sort of major game release.

TheOTHERmaninblack
17-05-2009, 17:25
On the subject of the Stompa. I WISH I played orks. I could literally bring garbage home from work and make 'super-heavies' with no effort at all. If Ork players are incapable of re-creating the stompa from scratch then they don't deserve one IMO. It would take all of 30 minutes and literally garbage materials. Total cash-grab on GW's part instead of making something that the average guy can't scratch build. I call BS! Lord of Worms is displeased and they WILL feel my wrath!

As a veteran ork player with 2 scratchbuilt stompas under my belt (well, a ruzzbot and a stompa) I can tell you that it isn't quite as simple as you make out. Sure, the basic body, particularly of the pattern GW has gone with, is cake. I used foam block and cardboard armor plates. The tricky bit is getting the arms and weapons to look right using garbage. Then there are all the gubbinz GW includes with the kit, which, let's face it, you can't just find in the trash can. I know veteran scratchbuilders who purchased the Stompa kit just for the gubbinz with no intention of ever building it en masse

Oh, and let's not forget that you can knock the kit out in an evening or two, whereas a complete scratchbuild will take a month, at least.

Gorgeo5
17-05-2009, 18:50
For me i would love a titian although ive never seen a Knight titian..... however they sound cool!!! for the warhound tho hmmmm im shure evry one would like one and GW would make loads however IMO i would like a plastic thunderhawk or ill have to make one from the Valkryie

Gustovic
17-05-2009, 18:56
For me the Knights have no sense.
Only few players know about their existence and their background, and the Warhounds are known even by the majority of the gamers.

Lord of Worms
27-05-2009, 18:53
The tricky bit is getting the arms and weapons to look right using garbage.
Oh, and let's not forget that you can knock the kit out in an evening or two, whereas a complete scratchbuild will take a month, at least.

Using various widthsvof copper pipe should do the trick;)

Nexus Trimean
27-05-2009, 21:14
your comments doesn,t seems to make any sense what so ever....
you could say the same thing about the baneblade(and it CAME),you could say the same thing about the shadowsword(and it CAME even when a fw conversion kit was already there).

nobody is desperate to get a titan and then buying one from FW for TOO MUCH money.
the people that are desperate make them from scratch.
there are even complete drawing plans for how to make the parts and then only have to glue the parts together.

their is nothing complex about making a warhound titan, not everything has to be in that many parts as the FW one.
the feet for instance are real easy to make in plasticcard, so why should it be so hard for them??

Some Places Wont let you use scratch built models. I know my FLGS wont, So its saving pennies for the FW ones, (already have one, but want a marauder)

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/downloads/PDF/B.AdeptusTitanicusII.pdf

Adeptus Titanicus Rules here.

I would love to see a plastic Warhound, it would pay for itself in a month at the most, but not in this climate. I know Eveyone wants there army in plastics, but i think that new things, probably sell better than plastic recuts. as if you replace something you dont HAVE to have it, as you already have one. but someting new everyone will want.

Tokamak
27-05-2009, 21:17
remeber that the cost is based on sales that they need to make before they even break even on plastic moulds.

Yeah or how much they even need to make before they break the plastic moulds :angel:

isaac
27-05-2009, 21:35
Can someone post the stompa and titan height comparison and/or comparison of the different types of titans (nothing exact, but just a rough idea)