PDA

View Full Version : 2000pt Corsair Raiding party

Time of Madness
14-05-2009, 11:45
The idea here was to create a themed corsair raiding party list using limited models (corsairs/bolt throwers/shades/harpies).

CHARACTERS

Dreadlord (general)
- Heavy armour/sea dragon cloak/shield
- Hydra Blade
- Pendant of Khaeleth
- Potion of Strenght
= 255pts

Master (BSB)
- Great Weapon
- Armour of Darkness
- Ring of Hotek
= 159pts

CORE

23 Corsairs
***Dreadlord here***
- Full Command
- Extra Hand Weapons
- Banner of Murder
*Assassin with extra hand weapon and rune of khaine
= 401pts

23 Corsairs
***BSB here***
- Full Command
- Extra Hand Weapons
- Warbanner
= 401pts

10 Corsairs
- Handbows
= 100pts

10 Corsairs
- Handbows
= 100pts

6 Harpies
= 66pts

SPECIAL

6 Shades
- Great Weapons
= 108pts

RARE

4 Bolt Throwers
= 400pts

TOTAL POINTS = 1990pts

Overall I'm fairly happy with how the list turned out. I've thought about dropping my main units from 23 to 17. This would give me some extra points to play around with.

The assassins are fairly essential in keeping my main units alive and giving them the ability to actually strike back if charged by my opponent.

I'm not sure on my character set up (specifically the dreadlord). He's alright for combat, but there are some other options that might have been better for this type of list....such as deathmask, peral of bleakness, ring of darkness etc. Alternatively Lokhir might me an option as well.

Another thought was dropping 2 of the bolt throwers and picking up a hydra...I guess it could be possible to theme one as some sort of sea monster....

I debated taking the sea serpent standard as it would be fluffy! However for this army to work I really need my two large blocks of corsairs to be able to move without having to worry about frenzy.

The handbow armed corsairs are an essential part of this list. They keep light units off my flanks and provide me with a unit that can do many things (baiters/re-directors/flankers).

I would love to squeeze at least one more unit of harpies into the army, but I couldn't find the points. The harpies provide my army with the ability to take out enemy war machines and to march block. They can also be used to protect my bolt throwers if necessary.

Any thoughts on the list?
Time of Madness

bob_the_small
14-05-2009, 16:36
Thats a great list! Nice and friendly... although you should be able to stand up to most things.. the theme is very strong!

Time of Madness
14-05-2009, 17:37
Thanks for the comments Bob. I made a few minor changes to the list.

I took out the shades in favour of 2 additional units of harpies. The harpies act as the ships scavengers ;) Sort of like seagulls haha and fit the theme a bit better.

With the extra points I put musicians in the handbow units.

With the characters in the corsairs it will give me 2 solid units of infantry (6X4 formation) supported by the smaller handbow units.

Alternatively I can drop the main units down to 18 strong (6X3) and spend the points on more support units.

I should have enough fire power against heavily armoured armies. 4 bolt throwers alone should be decent enough.

On top of that I do have the banner of murder and a couple of assassins with lots of poison attacks (to get past high T opponents).

Here's the new list.

CHARACTERS

Dreadlord (general)
- Heavy armour/sea dragon cloak/shield
- Hydra Blade
- Pendant of Khaeleth
- Potion of Strenght
= 255pts

Master (BSB)
- Great Weapon
- Armour of Darkness
- Ring of Hotek
= 159pts

CORE

23 Corsairs
***Dreadlord here***
- Full Command
- Extra Hand Weapons
- Banner of Murder
= 401pts

23 Corsairs
***BSB here***
- Full Command
- Extra Hand Weapons
- Warbanner
= 401pts

10 Corsairs
- Musician
- Handbows
= 105pts

10 Corsairs
- Musician
- Handbows
= 105pts

5 Harpies
= 55pts

5 Harpies
= 55pts

5 Harpies
= 55pts

RARE

4 Bolt Throwers
= 400pts

TOTAL POINTS = 1991pts

bob_the_small
14-05-2009, 17:42
TBH, I would drop the mus on the corsairs.... that gives you a whole 10 points...

ICEMANQ
14-05-2009, 20:05
You could drop the handbow units for Dark riders. Five riders with a musician is 92 points and is still completely in theme! :)

Sidorio
14-05-2009, 23:53
Personally I agree with decreasing the main unit sizes to 18. Get some support units to help out. You probably will want to get the shades back aswell.

Apart from that it's great to see someone with an army focussed on corsairs. Makes me want to write my own corsair list.

Dark14
15-05-2009, 03:48
i would combine the the 2x10 for 20FC with sea serpent standard. just drop 2-3 from the other units to even it out and it will fit and be more solid.

also it makes your characters/assasins frenzied and more attacks is always good on char if you put any in it.

Kalec
15-05-2009, 04:53
He really doesn't want the sea serpent standard. With only 3 blocks, he can't afford frenzy pulling one of them out of position.

PeeKay
15-05-2009, 10:18
Arrg meh'harties...

Dropping the main unit size to 18 is probably a good idea. Drop 1 unit of harpies and you can probably get the shades back. The 2 units of harpies will do and the shades gives you a bit more options

The 4 x bolt throwers could make your 2 Handbow units redundent. Merging them will give you another combat unit. I don't have the army book here so could not offer a better support configuration but you would not need a 3rd assassin. It would keep your opponent guessing.