PDA

View Full Version : Black Gobbo 55

Easy E
23-12-2005, 19:39
It does not look like this has been posted yet.

http://us.games-workshop.com/e-zine/issues/blackgobbo-55/default.htm

Helbrecht's Revenge looks like an interesting article. Is this all that's left of Warzone Codex about fighting in Zero G?

The rest is very meh.

Tom
23-12-2005, 19:58
Hmm. Decide amoungst yourselves which weapons cause recoil?

NOBODY HAS YET DECIDED IF BOLTERS OR RAILGUNS RECOIL.

sigur
23-12-2005, 20:31
(@Tom: sneaky git!:p Now you'll start them up again!)

cspo
24-12-2005, 00:59
both and neither?..

Trunks
24-12-2005, 03:26
Railguns are suppose to have absolutely no recoil in the real world if I remember correctly.

Lord Humongous
24-12-2005, 04:56
Railguns most definatley DO have recoil. A railgun uses magnetic / electric repulsion to accellerate a mass to high speed; the mass driver expereinces and equal and opposite reaction.
Boltguns could concievably have little recoil, since the shell is (at least partly) propelled by rocket power AFTER leaving the gun. There's also a pretty hefty looking recoil compensating "vectored muzzle gas" port on most models.

starlight
24-12-2005, 05:08
Both Railguns and Bolt-based Weapons have (in some cases considerable) recoil.

Darius Rhiannon
24-12-2005, 14:26
Lasguns have no recoil. Of that I am certain.

de Selby
24-12-2005, 18:44
Yes. Lasguns, multi-lasers and lascannons should be practically recoil-less, and anything firing a totally self-propelled projectile too.

Tom
24-12-2005, 18:57
I believe the status we decided on in Shrewsbury was since the laser bolt is to all intents and purposes invisible, there's a little mechanism in there which provides 'kick' to tell you you've actually fired.

Benefit of it is it can be turned off.

For reference- Don't railguns have lateral recoil? As in recoil outwards along the width of the gun? (assuming a horizontally mounted one)

my_name_is_tudor
24-12-2005, 19:27
yes, but the majority is felt backwards.

boltguns would have recoil, if you put a rocket in a tube and let it off, the tube will fly backwards as much as the rocket will go forwards.

neXus6
24-12-2005, 20:12
I don't think bolters would have that much recoil though.
Yes if you just tried to fire a rocket out of a tube with a blocked end the tube would fly back, however if you use a small air burst or something to push the shell out of the barrel then when out the shells motor ignites it would have no recoil as a result of the engine and very little as a result of the initial propelant charge.

Railguns on the other hand give out an equal force to that being placed on the projectile, so probably a fair bit then, even though the longer period of acceleration does use less force that more instant methods of acceleration if you measure one instant, over all the recoil is pretty big.

my_name_is_tudor
24-12-2005, 20:54
Point out the bit of fluff that says bolters expel the round from the barrel with an air charge or similar charge prior to the rocket firing :P

The point is moot, the inner workings of a bolter are not very well documented.

Apparently, real life railguns (the few experimental ones built) have to be bolted down, there's that much recoil.

Cenyu
24-12-2005, 21:28
Remember, Bolters fire depleted Deuterium shells. :rolleyes:

How much recoil does a bullet made out of hydrogen gas have? Oh, wait.... of course it simply explodes when ignited. Besides the fact that it can't be shaped in bullet form.

:angel:

Ach Jebus... depleted Deuterium.... haha.

Samoth
25-12-2005, 10:56
The fact that cases are ejected would suggest some explosive firing wouldn't it?

Oh, and for lasguns, I remember reading somewhere about a varient gas powered lasgun that had recoil.

my_name_is_tudor
25-12-2005, 11:15
ha, the shell casings on bolter thing is just artistic license causing a fluff muckup.

Plus, the physics behind a slower-than-light laser gun, with a visible laser, are so vague that who knows if it would cause recoil? People seem content that it travels slower than the speed of light, and can be seen, and fires in tracerlike rounds, all of which are effectively defying phsyics if it's purely a laser gun. Perhaps lasguns work more like blasters in star wars?

Jonathan =I=
25-12-2005, 16:49
Railguns have a shedload of recoil which can only be reduced by firing a lighter shell. Bolters on the other hand work almost exactually like recoilless rifles http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recoilless_rifle which very surprisingly dont have any recoil!

pyramid_head
26-12-2005, 14:10
newton would say that railguns have recoil