PDA

View Full Version : quick chargin question

PeG
15-05-2009, 10:53
A quick question from a game last night. Game was WE vs Beasts

A large unit of Dryads (D) declared a frontal charge against a beast chariot (C), a unit of wardancers (W) declared a flank charge against the same unit. The chariot failed fear tests and fled from the dryad charge ending up at C2.
The dryads could not reach C2 and failed their charge thus moving slightly forward according to the failed charge rules. Wardancers were in charging range of C as well as of C2. Judge ruled they had to charge against the original position which meant that they also failed their charge (since the unit was no longer there). Was this correct? The outcome of how it was played was that the chariot failed all rally attempts and ran off the board a couple of turns later.

D D D D
D D D
D D D D

C .
. ........ W W
. ...... W W
C2 . ...... W

Sirroelivan
15-05-2009, 10:58
The judge was wrong, the wardancers just charge towards the chariot.

Arnizipal
15-05-2009, 11:07
You charge against a unit, not a position. The wardancers could have charged.

10yrDREADLORD
20-05-2009, 12:10
Both of these answers are correct. This is why the order in which you charge units can be very important. Looks like it worked out for you anyway though.

Atrahasis
20-05-2009, 12:31
In this case the order of declaration is unimportant.

T10
21-05-2009, 11:07
... since the unit flees away from the unit with the largest unit strength (roll a dice in the case of equal unit strengths).

Milgram
21-05-2009, 13:29
not in this case T10, because the unit flees away from the unit which they failed the fear test against.

T10
21-05-2009, 14:21
Yes, in this case also. See p. 50 and notice that failing a Fear test in no way affects the direction you flee.

-T10

Chicago Slim
21-05-2009, 14:29
Hrm... I'll have to consult my BRB later, but my recollection is that a unit that flees as a result of failing a fear test against a fear-causing charger actually is treated as changing their charge response to "Flee"-- in which case, the fleeing unit would flee away from the larger US unit.

Of course, in this specific case, it's irrelevant, since the fear-causing chargers (Dryads) are also the larger US charger... And, in this specific case, the judge should have his license to judge revoked, because he blew it completely. The charge rules are pretty straightforward (Declare Charges / Fleers move in Compulsory / Chargers try to catch their targets, wherever that is) , and I think this particular botched ruling is unforgivable.