PDA

View Full Version : Ward save question

MSU
15-05-2009, 15:20
Do you have to use a ward save magic item if you have it?

Example: Stone of the Crystal Mere.
My forest dragon takes 20 gunshots from dwarves. Only one wounds, I miss my armor save. I'm looking at a S7 flaming magical bolt thrower that does D3 wounds to shoot at me next and I want to make sure that the SoCM is still there, i.e. I dont want to fail the wardsave for the single gun wound and would rather have my wardsave for the bolt thrower. Can I note take the wardsave for the gunshot and then take it for the bolt thrower shot (assuming it wounds)?

theunwantedbeing
15-05-2009, 15:24
Nope.
You cannot choose not to use a save if you have it.

Ultimate Life Form
15-05-2009, 15:24
I donīt know about this stone of yours, but normally, the item should clearly say how it works. Items like this usually fall into two categories:

A) It always works, so your question is pointless

B) It does not always work, in which case it usually says "against the first wound taken."

What does the stone say?

MSU
15-05-2009, 16:07
It is a 3+ ward save that breaks (and then becomes useless) after you fail one of the ward saves.

So, it sounds like I have no choice, if a ward save (in general) indeed does not let you have the option to not take it.

BigbyWolf
15-05-2009, 19:10
Slightly related- there's another talisman for the WElfs that gives a 2+ ward when reduced to 1 wound...does this mean every unsaved wound he suffers in the game after this has a 2+ward?

Sorry for the hijack!

enyoss
15-05-2009, 19:17
Slightly related- there's another talisman for the WElfs that gives a 2+ ward when reduced to 1 wound...does this mean every unsaved wound he suffers in the game after this has a 2+ward?

Oh god, not that item :cries:. I'm not sure if the jury is still out or whether an FAQ has cleared things up, but as far as I know that item is never used due to the pure ambiguity of its rules.

theunwantedbeing
15-05-2009, 19:34
It's a one use only 2+ ward.
Otherwise the "one use only" bit is meaningless.

The Wood elf FAQ (http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m1540040_Wood_Elves_FAQ_2008-05_Edition.pdf) clarifies that the ward save may only be used once.

BigbyWolf
17-05-2009, 18:59
Thank Gork for that! My GFs dragon-mounted lord is going down!

T10
17-05-2009, 20:42

Sorry for the hijack!

Once the bearer has been reduced to 1 wound the item bestows a 2+ Ward save. It obviously does not provide a save against what-ever reduces the character to 1 wound. It provides a save against each wound from that point on, even if the character has his wounds restored in some way.

Seriously, how else would it work?

-T10

Dark14
17-05-2009, 22:40
and if he dies before he can use it to bad. Ex cannon or killingblow.

enyoss
17-05-2009, 23:31
Seriously, how else would it work?

Well, the FAQ seems to think that it can work another way ;).

These two seemingly valid interpretations, T10's and the FAQ's, were the reason I had headaches with the item when the book was first released.