PDA

View Full Version : New WoC Player looking for advice

KhorneWarrior13
15-05-2009, 15:39
I am pretty new to this hobby with only a few games under my belt and I was wondering what marks work well for the Warriors of Chaos. I like the fluff about Khorne and Tzeentch but do either of these marks actually do well in the game?

semersonp
15-05-2009, 15:48
all the marks have their merit...

tzeentch helps protect knights with the blasted banner...

khorne makes ogres buzzsaws...

nurgle lets warriors keep their expensive butts alive in combat...

slaneesh allows horsemen to keep those precious flanks protected without running off the table...

all have their uses... try a few games with each one... mix n' match... or do what i do and hold onto the old and have a mono god army...

lord mekri
15-05-2009, 18:12
i am going to vote for the option not on the list - no marks.
warriors of chaos work great without any marks. and your army will be larger.
if you need to mark, save it for mages, or perhaps an exalted hero on the approrpiate steed.

zak
15-05-2009, 18:18
The Mark of Nurgle is fantastic on Warriors and Knights. Add in the rage banner on either unit and you have one hell of a nasty unit. It's also very good for sorcerers and the ever useful buboes!

Makaber
15-05-2009, 20:05
Different Marks do different things, and many of them are quite practical. However, I'd like ot second Lord Mekri in that overall, I feel the best Mark is no Mark. The individual Mark might not seem like a huge points investment, but they rack up the cost of your units quickly, and you that will reflect in an army that is small enough beforehand. So by all means Mark units if you have a plan with it, but don't feel you absolutely have to mark them, and don't hand them out willy-nilly.

Goruax
16-05-2009, 02:37
warriors of chaos work great without any marks. and your army will be larger.

Hmmm....

My 2k/2250 lists save about 100-150 points if I leave the Marks.
That buys me 6-9 Warriors.

6-9 Warriors, of which none are Immune to F/T/P, none are Frenzied Charioteers and none are Tzeentchian Chosen with a Rage Banner.

Leaving marks doesn't boost the size of your army anywhere near enough to make non-marks useful.

In my opinion.
Methinks the OP was wise to leave that option off the list.

EDIT:
My vote is for Slaanesh. Cheapest Mark, very effective and boosts unit reliability immensely.

Dexter099
16-05-2009, 05:26
It really depends.

MoK is for the most part worthless, since the rage banner is so much better, not to mention you want to be the one controlling your army, not your opponent.

MoK is ok on some foot troops, but that's about it.

Nurgle has lost much of its potency with the FAQ nerf, so Tzeentch and Slaanesh are really more useful. I'll vote for Tzeentch, since it's fine on warriors, great on characters, and also great on knights.

Remember guys; Nurgle got nerfed big time, and is not better than Tzeentch in most cases now.

Seville
16-05-2009, 08:03
It really depends.

MoK is for the most part worthless, since the rage banner is so much better, not to mention you want to be the one controlling your army, not your opponent.

MoK is ok on some foot troops, but that's about it.

This is the third thread you've come on and trashed MoK on. Just because you haven't been able to figure out how to control your frenzied units doesn't mean it can't be done.

MoK is just about indispensable on Knights and Warriors. This whole "your opponent can just lead them around by the nose" stuff is "internet wisdom" that doesn't actually work.

selone
16-05-2009, 11:45
Really your force should mix marks, whilst some may not find it fluffy its definetly the way you should got to compete. Certain units/chars lend themselves to certain marks though. Marauders make good due of slaanesh, Sorceror lords make good use of tzeentch, sorcerors make good use of nurgle and some people like to mark their knights khorne.
It's up to you though really, go ahead mark your knights tzeentch or nurgle and your marauders khorne you'll still have use of them.

I do think the stand out mark is slaanesh though its very cheap and really, really helps against most armies out there. The only unit I'd not automatically mark slaanesh would be chaos knights as they already have protection from fear (as they cause fear) and rerollable ld8 panic tests.

But this is all personal opinion, the only 'no brainer' mark for me is slaanesh on marauders. They need the protection from fear and panic the most on their LD and marauder infantry not to autobreak if they lose combat to say a skelly unit. Marauder horseman especially benefit from not having to make a LD test to charge things and not panicing.

Goruax
16-05-2009, 17:31
I mix marks in a fully Tzeentch army. Just to confuse you ;)

KhorneWarrior13
16-05-2009, 18:31
What FAQ changed the Nurgle mark? I was not aware that the mark had changed.

selone
16-05-2009, 18:47
The one that clarified the opponents get -1 WS only when they try to hit the nurgle marked, not +1 WS always. I.E it has no effect on WS 5 troops in combat.

KhorneWarrior13
16-05-2009, 19:48
I assumed thats how it worked anyway. Thanks for clearing that up.

Dexter099
16-05-2009, 22:16
Yeah, the MoN got somewhat trashed, limiting its use. But it still has its small niche in my army and in my heart :cries: , considering my army back in the 6th ed days used to be all Nurgle at one point.

This is the third thread you've come on and trashed MoK on. Just because you haven't been able to figure out how to control your frenzied units doesn't mean it can't be done.

MoK is just about indispensable on Knights and Warriors. This whole "your opponent can just lead them around by the nose" stuff is "internet wisdom" that doesn't actually work.

And this is the third thread you've come on and trashed my views on how to play the WoC. And you're also telling me that the reason I don't use MoK is because I haven't been able to figure out how to use it, which is entirely untrue; I've played with a pure Khorne list before and won. I know how to use the MoK, but I find it less useful than the other options out there.

In your opinion MoK is indispensible on Knights and Warriors, in my opinion, it's not due to the lack of control and fickleness of being frenzied.

And labeling whatever I say as internet wisdom is ridiculous; my tactics have evolved mostly from a lot of personal experience and advice from other fantasy veterans who have been playing longer than I have, not from armchair theorizing.

Unuhexium
18-05-2009, 00:42
Personally i love putting a MoK/Banner of rage on my knights and put them in the middle of my army. What happens next is pretty much that they cut the heart out of the opposing army. They have yet to lose a combat. I haven't really experienced this stuff about redirecting etc. Sure, I suppose it can be done, but i've never actually seen any example of it, not against me and not anywhere else. If the frenzied unit is in the middle of your army the opponent can't really get it away from combat alltogether.

Since i play a lot against people who use fear/terror i've found that a mix of MoK and MoS does the trick quite nicely. I tend to use MoS on warriors and marauder horsemen to make them more stable and MoK/Banner of rage on knights to make them hit insanely heard AND be immune to psych to boot.

On the topic of "best mark" I'd give my vote to Slaanesh. Your units become immune to F/T/P, but you can still bait, restrain and all the other stuff that requires a sane brain (relatively ofc) and all of that for just 10 pts! What's not to like? =D

MoN is, sad as it might be, not too impressive for me so far. It's fun to use on a gimmic-unit with festering shroud for the hell of it just to ***** with your opponent (it has won me a battle or two, but that's pure coincindense).

Putty
18-05-2009, 02:01
My Lord/Hero choices are all MoT

My infantry and cavalry are MoN / MoS

I do not use any Khorne stuff.

Seville
18-05-2009, 02:17
Yeah, the MoN got somewhat trashed, limiting its use. But it still has its small niche in my army and in my heart :cries: , considering my army back in the 6th ed days used to be all Nurgle at one point.

And this is the third thread you've come on and trashed my views on how to play the WoC. And you're also telling me that the reason I don't use MoK is because I haven't been able to figure out how to use it, which is entirely untrue; I've played with a pure Khorne list before and won. I know how to use the MoK, but I find it less useful than the other options out there.

In your opinion MoK is indispensible on Knights and Warriors, in my opinion, it's not due to the lack of control and fickleness of being frenzied.

And labeling whatever I say as internet wisdom is ridiculous; my tactics have evolved mostly from a lot of personal experience and advice from other fantasy veterans who have been playing longer than I have, not from armchair theorizing.

Ok, I can respect that. Sometimes your posts seem rushed and a bit difficult to understand the reasoning behind what you are saying. But I get you now.

I am actually shocked to see Nurgle winning this poll! I wonder why?

My_Idea_Of_Fun
18-05-2009, 04:31
It really depends on what you are fighting. Against an army like wood elves or high elves, nurgle is much better since it doesnt take much killing power to take them down, you just need to make it over there. The -1 to weapon skill also hurts their special choices a lot. If you are taking a lot of cavalry i think khorne is the best because there is a board edge and they can't run forever!

Kerill
18-05-2009, 05:01
Nurgle is also amazing against lizardmen.

KhorneWarrior13
18-05-2009, 22:25
Is a unit with the Mark of Khorne (example: Knights) easy to control yourself, or can your opponent pretty easily lead them around?

Levett
18-05-2009, 23:44
They can be fine as long as you have some marauder horseman to sit infront of them. Fine the knights will have to take a panic if the maruader horses flee through them, but truth be told... with the Will of Chaos re-roll you'll be fine. It stops you being baited, as you cannot charge if its not legal... so you just have to block one of the knights.

If they hit home though... they hurt a lot. I wiped around 1000pts of a vamp army today by charging a unit of graveguard and managing to slap the generals last 2 wounds with my musician causing them to crumble... 3 attacks + 2 pony attacks is awesome :)

Seville
19-05-2009, 00:58
They can be fine as long as you have some marauder horseman to sit infront of them. Fine the knights will have to take a panic if the maruader horses flee through them, but truth be told... with the Will of Chaos re-roll you'll be fine. It stops you being baited, as you cannot charge if its not legal... so you just have to block one of the knights.
)

Frenzy makes you immune to panic.

Also, generally, I think the warhounds make better screens as the horsemen are better used for actual combat.

My_Idea_Of_Fun
19-05-2009, 01:32
If the unit is alone or in front of your army, your opponent can lure it out of the way. However, if you support them with marauder horseman, war hounds, or even more chaos knights, you can funnel the enemy into your killy unit. You can still accomplish this if ALL your units are khorne!

KhorneWarrior13
19-05-2009, 02:13
Is a mono Khorne army a competitive army? It seems a bit shakey to me.

minionboy
19-05-2009, 03:29
My vote is with Tzeentch. It would have been nurgle before the nerf and right now I'll assume that a few of the people who voted nurgle don't know about the FAQ.

ChaosVC
19-05-2009, 03:40
I say just collect them all...and no, Khorn knights are not easy to control but you can have tons of them, then it wouldn't matter much.

Seville
19-05-2009, 07:04
Is a mono Khorne army a competitive army? It seems a bit shakey to me.

I think so. I've played a few games with all MoK, and I've won pretty handily each time. They just get so many attacks when they hit, it's overwhelming.

Obviously, mixed is more competitive, but I don't think mono-Khorne is severely underpowered.

Dexter099
20-05-2009, 02:49
Mono Khorne is weaker than mixed, certainly, but I would say if you're gonna go Khorne, might as well go all Khorne.

Kerill
20-05-2009, 13:15
Is a unit with the Mark of Khorne (example: Knights) easy to control yourself, or can your opponent pretty easily lead them around?

I tend to find their inability to flee a bigger issue, hounds can screen quite well most of the time.