PDA

View Full Version : lizardmen army list

mmsaurus12
16-05-2009, 01:06
Need some help on my army list, havent been able to win much with lizardmen......any advice appreciated!

Slann
focus of mystery (know all spells), focused rumination (+1 power die per cast), becalming cogitation (enemy wizards discard 6's on casts), Battle standard bearer, cupped hands of the old ones

skink priest
lv 2, rod of the storm, bane head

skink priest
engine of the gods, diadem of power, dispel scroll

18 saurus
spears, full command

18 saurus
spears, full command

12 skink skirmishers
blowpipes

12 skink skirmishers
javelins + shields

6 cold one cavalry
full command

3 terradons
champion

10 temple guard
full command, venom of the firefly frog

3 Salamanders

i used to run a carnosaur but i play a lot of ranged/magic heavy armies so he always died before getting into combat

Ultimate Life Form
16-05-2009, 01:21
Well, this looks like a sound army list to me except for a few things:

Upgrading Skirmishers to Shield/Jav is far too expensive. Better use them as regular Skinks to redirect enemy charges, it works well, I've tried it several times. Itīs cheaper and better.

Terradon Champion is an unnecessary points waste for +1BS (they used to be +1A last edition). Drop it.

Does your Cold One Cavalry need full command? I do it myself, so I probably have no right to lecture you on it, but if you need additional points, this is the place to start.

Has the Rod of Storm ever done anything for you? Its usefulness is highly dependent on your tactic which is magic heavy, so probably yes. Even though, this is an expense that you could drop in favor of something else if you feel itīs not worth it. Also, I'm not sure if the Bane Head is placed right on this guy.

10 Temple Guard aren't enough and wonīt cut it. With the expensive stuff, it's all or nothing or it won't do any good. Go for a big block, dropping anything you feel you don't absolutely need. Venom of the Firefly Frog on the Temple Guard Champion? A nice gimmick, but not absolutely necessary. You should probably drop it unless you have special plans with it (challenges, ethereals etc.)

Other than that, I think it's pretty good. Just practice a bit, and you'll smash the enemy in the name of the Old Ones!:)

Eulogy2
16-05-2009, 11:40
i disagree with the shield/jav skirmishers. the no move and shoot penalty is always useful for something, and the 5+ save in combat helps them from time to time as well. its not that bad for 1 point.

i would drop the champs on the units though, and thatll allow a few more TG to be added. try for 14-16, i perfer 16. and if possible a 4th terradon wouldnt hurt either.

Ultimate Life Form
16-05-2009, 14:20
the no move and shoot penalty is always useful for something, and the 5+ save in combat helps them from time to time as well.

Youīre absolutely right.

HOWEVER!

You get the exact same things on the regular Skinks. Normal Skinks are 5pts. Javelin Skirmishers are8 pts. That's 60% more for a unit that does almost the same. Not worth it in my opinion. If you look at it realistically, you're paying 3pts apiece to upgrade normal Skinks to Skirmishers thereby losing one of the most important functions no one else in the list can do: cheap charge redirecting. If it works for you, fine, do it. I wonīt do a GW-style 60% price increase.

Eulogy2
16-05-2009, 14:29
i perfer blow pipes as well, but those 3 points buys you skirmishing, which is -1 to shoot at, and allows all 10 of them to shoot, instead of just the 5 in the front row. plus they can still redirect if needed as well. im not saying they are the end all answer, but they definitly do have their uses.

Ultimate Life Form
16-05-2009, 14:40
i perfer blow pipes as well, but those 3 points buys you skirmishing, which is -1 to shoot at, and allows all 10 of them to shoot, instead of just the 5 in the front row. plus they can still redirect if needed as well. im not saying they are the end all answer, but they definitly do have their uses.

:confused:

Who on earth would run 12 Skinks in rank and file? Spread them out, for god's sake! All of my Skinks are able to shoot I assure you! They are perfect to screen Kroixes/Saurus Warriors from missile fire. 1st turn, I march them towards the enemy. 2nd turn, they walk and turn the enemy into a pin cushion with 10 Spears and take the most awkward position possible, making it impossible for the emey to do anything but charging them. 2.5th turn, enemy charges them, they stand and shoot, dictate where the enemy has to go, and die. 3rd turn, Saurus block crashes into enemy flank and eradicates them. And this for only 50pts! It's almost to good to believe!

Eulogy2
16-05-2009, 16:19
i think you kinda lost me there. ive yet to see anyone run a RnF skink unit 10 wide, thatd be very unmanuverable. personally, i perfer my screens to be skirmishers cause they are harder to kill by missle fire, and they can move around much easier.

Ultimate Life Form
16-05-2009, 17:17
ive yet to see anyone run a RnF skink unit 10 wide

I invite you over to my place to see with your own eyes!:D

Okay, seriously, it's a matter of belief, just like the old Sally vs Razordon debate. Check my poll for it. I'm not going to argue with you over it.

Since I think the OP is in bad need for additional points to beef up his Temple Guard, I thought this was a very obvious option. But in the end it's up to him if he wants to go with you or me. I don't really care, he asked for advice, now it's up to him which one he takes.

I find it far more important that we obviously can agree on the rest of the points, since you didn't object, so I'm happy anyway.:D I think this will help the OP a great deal.

mmsaurus12
16-05-2009, 17:28
thanks for the advice all, been a great help im going to come up with a new list and post it later tonite