PDA

View Full Version : 2 grps of 12 warriors or 1 of 18+

Masteraries
16-05-2009, 04:38
I have been debating something about the WOC. I am torn between fielding 2 grps of 12 warriors or 1 large group of 18+ (Halberds and shields with the MOS).

I have tried both...but still fairly undecided about it.

the large group is more resilient (against shooting/magic), but cumbersome (well relative to a smaller unit), and I feel like i am putting all my eggs in one basket (since I place my characters in that unit too).

The smaller groups of 12 is combat effective (easier to manage, sometimes more combat effective), but not as resilient as its predecessor.

What do you guys/gals think?

Dexter099
16-05-2009, 05:23
It's fine to have one unit of 12 warriors, but you should have a 3x5 unit with shields to get combat resolution as well as kills.

2x6 units are good too, but they lack numbers.

Anyways, 3x6 units are too big and expensive; if you are going to buy that many guys for a unit, you might as well go 4x5.

Kerill
16-05-2009, 05:49
I don't think there is a hard and fast rule either way, depends on the rest of the list, banners, character support and so on.

Shiodome
16-05-2009, 10:33
2x6 and use hounds to increase your 'resilience'

_Kalas_
16-05-2009, 11:18
I've switched from 2x6 to 3x5, your opponent has to kill 6 warriors instead of 2 to remove rank bonus [preserving 2 ranks in 3x5 unit till hand to hand starts is a rare exception], 3x5 is of course more expensive and has 1 less warrior in fighting flank, thats cons, pros are: you should have this extra rank, which is valuable cause it happens from time to time that your warriors will fluff their attacks, if charged by chariot, dragon, stegadon, this extra warrior in fighting flank wont attack anyway, and 3x5 formation is more manouverable [sp?].
War Banner is a good solution, but in my list it's reserved for jugger bsb , warriors run with raptorous, cause they'll get charged and they have to hold, in following rounds of combat things start to look better for them.
That's just my opinion :)

ps. I have no characters in this unit.

selone
16-05-2009, 12:04
I'd have to agree with kerill, it really does depend on what you're doing witht he rest of the list. The only thing is I think ranks of 6 are optimal arent they as you want as much in B2B as possible.

Makaber
16-05-2009, 13:25
Whatever you do, take one of the units, drop two Warriors and use the points for a Warbanner if its still available. And I disagree on the rank bonus issue and feel they should be 6 wide: The pack enough of a punch to make up for the loss of rank through kills. Especially with Halberds or Great Weapons.

Desert Rain
16-05-2009, 15:03
It depends on the rest of your list and how you like to play. If I were to choose I would go for few larger blocks as I don't like to play with msu tactics.

sroblin
16-05-2009, 16:45
I would argue 2 units all the way. Chaos Warriors achille's heal is their slow speed, so it's better to force the enemy to deal with 2 units to shoot at/march block rather than 1. As long as you can get 6-8 of them in combat with an enemy unit, they will start paying back for themselves. Having 2 units doubles the number of Chaos Warriors that are on the cutting edge of your attack.

I understand the desire for larger, more resilient units, but I think a unit of 15 is a better compromise. If it is fortunate enough to go unmolested by ranged attacks, it can enter battle with the same +2 CR bonus as a unit of 18, if it doesn't they still have to kill 5 of them to get ride of the +1 rank bonus, and you can reform them 6 wide for the extra attacks. A unit of 18 will lose the +2 rank bonus nearly as quickly if it gets shot at.

Avian
16-05-2009, 17:11
I mainly see Warriors in rear ranks as spares for when some get shot, zapped or otherwise killed. If they do provide a point of rank bonus then that is a neat extra bonus, but nothing I count on. A point of rank bonus costing 80+ pts is rarely going to be cost effective anyway.

The only reason my Warriors have a rank bonus at all is that beyond the minimum unit I pay 34 pts to boost my non-existing rank bonus (I go 6 wide so 4 in the second rank initially) to a +1 and that's not too bad.

Dexter099
17-05-2009, 20:14
3x5 is usually more effective in combat, for 50 points more. 1 warrior isn't as effective as an extra rank.

I still haven't tried out an 18 man unit, though. Isn't it a bit expensive for a single unit?

Kerill
17-05-2009, 23:43
Summed up my thoughts on unit sizes equipment and so on here:

http://z4.invisionfree.com/cotec/index.php?showtopic=5464