PDA

View Full Version : Morgul Stalkers [WOTR]

Edonil
16-05-2009, 05:37
Well, I'm going to be getting my first company of Morgul Stalkers tomorrow, in a trade with a friend. I love the look of these guys, and I think that their abilities should work well within the context of my list (I'm running a Gothmog/Dark Marshal infantry list) but I was curious what other people thought of them. Any fun strategies or useful tricks? Or, just things to flat out avoid?

Nu Fenix
16-05-2009, 16:58
I have Fallen Realms and not Mordor, so I have alternative options, but on paper they seem good. Ambushing whilst having Enchanted Cloaks to make it harder to be shot down seems a good combo, whilst being quite cheap in points.

It is one of those units that would see more use if everything in the game was plastic, or money was no factor to anyone.

Emissary
17-05-2009, 03:59
I'm really not a fan at the moment. The problem with them is their D4. They aren't hard to kill. The enchanted cloaks are nice for that unit over there shooting at them, but being ambushers they can start close and their primary targets should be things like archers. Since they're put on the table at the start of the move phase rather then when it's your turn to go, your opponent can react. I also think that they really need to have at least 2-3 companies to do anything without dying horribly fast. Because the orc trackers are 5 points less and fill the same roll, like them much better, especially since they can stay in the terrain, shooting doesn't require them to expose themselves too badly, and Grishnakh is available.

CaseyNoVa
24-05-2009, 00:29
I think they are going to end up helping greatly in setting up flank charges. If you can organize the movement, and you should be able to, you should have an easy time pressuring your opponent's flank while having a large force in the front about to barrell down on them.

Jobu
27-05-2009, 16:37
While that is true, if they are used in a good way i.e. in a side or rear attack, they get +1 to hit thanks to the prowler rule, which means they kill defense 5 on a 4. Also epic heroes can join ambushers, and having the betrayer or kardush with them for spells would not be so bad.

I'm really not a fan at the moment. The problem with them is their D4. They aren't hard to kill. The enchanted cloaks are nice for that unit over there shooting at them, but being ambushers they can start close and their primary targets should be things like archers. Since they're put on the table at the start of the move phase rather then when it's your turn to go, your opponent can react. I also think that they really need to have at least 2-3 companies to do anything without dying horribly fast. Because the orc trackers are 5 points less and fill the same roll, like them much better, especially since they can stay in the terrain, shooting doesn't require them to expose themselves too badly, and Grishnakh is available.

Edonil
28-05-2009, 12:05
Well, I've gotten to use them...and my opinion is that I can't make too much of a judgement call, I used them stupid :p. Teaching someone the game, and wanted to see how they would work....and they get hit by a cave troll, and, predictably, died. Used a bit more intelligently, I think they have their uses...going to need to try them again.

Jorgen_CAB
29-05-2009, 10:14
Considering that a formation of two companies of Morgul Stalkers are quite cheap for the amount of damage and problems that will cause. I really think that they can be worth it. If you place them in a wood they will get a defense value of six, that is rather good against most strength three melee units. They will project a large aura of threat surrounding the area and everyone withing 6" will only move half speed. Any one that turns their flank against them will risk being attacked and shopped to bits.

Sure, Orc Trackers have bows and are also prowlers and use bows but are less good in melee. Plus, the Morgul Stalker models are quite good looking, that must count for something. :)

The biggest problem that I see with both Morgul Stalkers and Orc Trackers are their low courage value. As long as there is an enemy within 6" they are not very likely to dare venture out in the open to attack anyone. But that is the price that you pay for being evil. ;)

Emissary
29-05-2009, 10:26
Yup, but with the trackers you won't usually want to venture out either. Another thing in the tracker's favor is Grishnakh. 3 might, a higher command and a good ability for 75 points is a good steal.

Shelob is a beast of a monster if you want an ambusher. We had her kill over 60 dwarves at our store recently on her own.

Jorgen_CAB
29-05-2009, 11:01
I agree that points wise the Trackers are probably better in most circumstances. But there would be instances where the Stalkers could be better.

If you have one formation of each you could place them in the same defensible terrain for example. The trackers shoot with their bows while the Stalkers defend them or attack anyone that venture too close. This is on the grounds that you allow two formations to occupy the same terrain object. The rules do not directly say it is not permissible so I believe it is a judgment call.