PDA

View Full Version : 3000 Points High Elves Army- My first go! C&C Please :)

RiTides Nids
16-05-2009, 15:13
Hi,

I recently traded for a large high elf army, and I have all of these models as well as a large amount of spearmen, archers, and silver helms. Here is my list, I've thought about dropping the two great eagles for another RBT or wargear for the mages (they're pretty bare right now!).

Prince, Star Lance, Armour of Caledor, Guardian Phoenix, Star Dragon
Archmage, Lvl 4, Jewel of the Dusk
Dragon Mage, Lvl 2, Silver Wand

10 Archers
10 Archers
10 Archers

6 Shadow Warriors
6 Shadow Warriors
6 Ellyrian Reavers
6 Ellyrian Reavers
6 Dragon Princes
6 Dragon Princes
18 Phoenix Guard, Std Bearer, Banner of Sorcery

2 RBTs
2 Great Eagles

The strategy will be for the archers and RBTs to stand back and shoot, the dragons and heavy calvary to act as a hammer to the phoenix guard anvil, and the light calvary and shadow warriors to harrass/distract.

What do you think??

RiTides Nids
16-05-2009, 20:26
Ahem... *Bump* :)

Troah
16-05-2009, 20:53
Sword Masters are nice.

RiTides Nids
16-05-2009, 20:56
How can I get more firepower? I can add another RBT, but the 3 squads of archers are required (unless I take spearmen instead... which is a pretty good idea if the archers aren't going to do anything anyway!)

Thanks for the feedback... let me rework it a little :)

RiTides Nids
16-05-2009, 21:17
What about this:

Prince, Star Lance, Armour of Caledor, Guardian Phoenix, Star Dragon
Archmage, Lvl 4, Jewel of the Dusk, 2 Dispel Scrolls, Elven Steed
Dragon Mage, Lvl 2, Silver Wand

12 Spearmen
12 Spearmen
12 Spearmen

6 Shadow Warriors
6 Shadow Warriors
6 Ellyrian Reavers
6 Ellyrian Reavers
6 Dragon Princes
6 Dragon Princes
18 Phoenix Guard, Std Bearer

3 RBT

This is 3000 points exactly. I dropped the archers for spearmen, the eagles for another RBT, and the Banner of Sorcery for 2 Dispel Scrolls and a steed for the Archmage. A little more long-range firepower, a few more close combat squads (but no archers), more defensive magic but less offensive. What do you guys think?

I can also drop all of the squads down to 5 instead of 6, to make room for more wargear if needed.

Troah
16-05-2009, 21:20
I liked the eagles for warmachine hunters. From what I know of High Elves (Not a High Elf player but fight them a lot) that seems pretty decent.

RiTides Nids
16-05-2009, 21:54
Well, even better then :) Just swap out the third RBT for the eagles again... I'll actually have these models, so if they're viable, I'll go with it!

What about the spearmen instead of the archers- is this a good move? I'd like to go with it if it is, but I'd like to hear what you guys think about it.

Troah
16-05-2009, 22:28
I like it...maybe drop one spearmen unit for Archers? Are Shadow Warriors scouts? And if so do they have bows?

RiTides Nids
17-05-2009, 02:20
Yes, they're scouts and have longbows! I'm not familiar with how to use them yet (as I would think with longbows they would want to be farther away) but hopefully someone can give me some pointers :)

Troah
17-05-2009, 02:25
I've never used scouts before so I wouldn't know. >< Sorry. But maybe if the Shadow Warriors do have longbows then they could be your archers, unless they're not as good then I'd drop one Spearmen unit for the archers.

Kill-Freedom
17-05-2009, 04:18
Guns vs long bows, LOL

My money would be on the long bows, guns range is 24 where long bows are 30, deploy them out of 24 of empire handgunners and they need to waste a turn to move closer and shot you, 1 extra turn of long bow shooting can be devasting

th0r
17-05-2009, 13:11
..is that a joke? Keep in mind that due to the low strength of the longbow, combined with the fact you will be shooting at long range, that they are not going to be effective and definitely not "devastating". I prefer to take 1-2 units of archers for shooting stuff like fanatics/fast cav. Myself I'm not a fan of shadow warriors, since the unit is suppose to be good in hth, but only have 1 base strength attack each. I would drop the shadow warriors for more spearmen.

RiTides Nids
18-05-2009, 14:24
Here's an edited list based on a lot of various feedback! I've also re-ordered the units based on where they'll be used most likely.

I'm going for a balanced list, focusing on CC, then magic, then shooting. Did I succeed?

Prince, Lance, Armour of Caledor, Vambraces of Defense, Amulet of Light, Star Dragon
6 Dragon Princes
6 Dragon Princes

Archmage, Lvl 4, Silver Wand, Elven Steed
Mage, Lvl 2, Dispel Scroll
Mage, Lvl 2, Dispel Scroll

17 Spearmen, Std Bearer, Lion Standard
17 Phoenix Guard, Std Bearer, Banner of Sorcery

6 Shadow Warriors
6 Shadow Warriors
6 Ellyrian Reavers
6 Ellyrian Reavers
2 Great Eagles

10 Archers
10 Archers
2 RBTs

My main worry is that the shadow warriors, reavers, and eagles are redundant, but I love them all and would like to use them. The reavers currently have spears, is that the best way to use them? I didn't want to give them spears and bows simply for points sake (and since the shadow warriors have bows as well).

I'm also planning on hiding the two foot mages in the two large blocks (spearmen and phoenix guard- is this a good idea?). What do you think?

Kill-Freedom
19-05-2009, 10:16
..is that a joke? Keep in mind that due to the low strength of the longbow, combined with the fact you will be shooting at long range, that they are not going to be effective and definitely not "devastating". I prefer to take 1-2 units of archers for shooting stuff like fanatics/fast cav. Myself I'm not a fan of shadow warriors, since the unit is suppose to be good in hth, but only have 1 base strength attack each. I would drop the shadow warriors for more spearmen.

Nay not a joke, use to do it with wood elves, all the time, and high elves also have curse of arrow attraction making their shooting pretty dam good, its wouldnt be hard to take down empire hand gunners, in a turn or 2 of shooting and then moving on, if your worried about being shot at yourself, also wow it be what? hits on 4's and wounds on 4's, seeing that there toughness 3 and that

th0r
19-05-2009, 10:23
Shadow warrior's also hit on 4's maybe 3's and wound on 4's. Somehow I doubt you would use curse of arrow attraction with it's range against a handgunner unit as you would be in the middle of the battlefield with more pressing issues.

If your going to include two mages and an arch mage I think you have to go with a banner of sorcerery and one mage with the jewel of the dusk. It's just you've already put so many pts into magic, you might as well get as much out of them as possible.