PDA

View Full Version : forbidden lore & campaign/tourney

rtunian
16-05-2009, 16:39
if one of your characters has forbidden lore, or an ability like it (with limited exceptions, it gives you all of the spells from a lore of your choosing), in a tournament or campaign, would you be able to choose a different lore for each battle, or would you have to make your choice before the tournament/campaign begins and stick with it the whole time?

i can see a campaign requiring use of the same lore in each battle for fluff reasons, but a tourney?

thank you for infos and opinions~

Atrahasis
16-05-2009, 16:46
As with any question like this, it's up to the tournament/campaign organiser.

I've never been to a tournament where it was required (though I have been to one where the organiser said it was so and everyone ignored him so he retracted).

Campaigns are another matter entirely.

Ultimate Life Form
16-05-2009, 17:02
I think this is complete rubbish and would make many Lores outright useless. Lore of Metal might be good against Brets and Chaos and such, but play against Wood Elves, and it's dead capital. While the Vampire can at least still spam IoN and fight, the 500 pts Slann would be dead weight. But if he does know only 5 of the 6 spells, he would be allowed to swap Lores or what?!? Completely nonsensical. If you did that, you'd also have to enforce that every sorcerer keeps the spells he rolls at the very beginning forever - I can't imagine anyone taking a spellcaster under such circumstances.

rtunian
16-05-2009, 17:55
If you did that, you'd also have to enforce that every sorcerer keeps the spells he rolls at the very beginning forever

no... because there are rules for picking spells at the start of the game. on p111, "selecting spells"... before deployment, you choose your lore if you have a choice, and then roll your spells. on the other hand, there are no rules for picking lores that you gain from special abilities

tarrasque
16-05-2009, 21:25
in a tourny you should ask the judge but i think you will have to choose at the start of the battle.
for a campain i would discus it whit your game group. but fluff wise i would roll once till it got higher lvl and then add a spell.
not that i ever have to choose or select a spell being tk ;)

selone
16-05-2009, 21:55
Along the same lines what about empire wizards? Do they have to pick one lore and stick to it or not? What confuses me is their models are called bright wizards, grey wizards etc.

WLBjork
17-05-2009, 04:21
The College of Magic in Altdorf assigned each wind of magic a colour.

Imperial Wizards study one lore and wear robes of the colour associated with that lore.

From a background perspective, an Imperial Wizard painted as a Bright Wizard should always take Lore of Fire.

Bright = Fire
Gold = Metal
Grey = Shadows
Amber = Beasts
Celestial = Heavens
White = Light
Jade = Life
Amethyst = Death.

Chipacabra
17-05-2009, 06:23
If you have a choice of lores, you choose before rolling for spells. (Page 111, selecting spells). You don't decide what kind of wizard you're getting when you write your army list, you can wait until the fight's about to start. An Empire player should probably have a different model for each wizard he may use.

In the case of a tournament/campaign, as far as the rulebook is concerned, if you roll for different spells from game to game, then you can change lores.

Atrahasis
17-05-2009, 09:21
From a background perspective, an Imperial Wizard painted as a Bright Wizard should always take Lore of Fire.From a background perspective, it's ridiculous to assume that there are only 6 spells taught to Battle Wizards from each college.