PDA

View Full Version : Would you let me have an assault termie command squad?

immortal99
24-12-2005, 09:39
Basically an assualt terminator squad with 1 less model for minimum requirement.

EDIT: aaaaaaaaaaarrgh! it hasn't posted the poll! oh well...

GodofWarTx
24-12-2005, 09:52
Basically an assualt terminator squad with 1 less model for minimum requirement.

EDIT: aaaaaaaaaaarrgh! it hasn't posted the poll! oh well...

sure, if you let me have Leman Russ tanks as fast-attack choices in my Space Marine armies =)

Your best bet is just get two independant characters and stick em with the squad in a drop pod, that way they all come down together.

OR

Another option is to play Dark Angels. I believe their Deathwing terminator squads can have a mixture of weapons in them.

Seleucus
24-12-2005, 10:25
Your best bet is just get two independant characters and stick em with the squad in a drop pod, that way they all come down together.

ICs cannot accompany any other sqd in drop pods (or in reserve in general) except a command sqd.

They have to be diced for seperately, and, if you are lucky enough to get both the sqd and IC to come in on the same turn, you then attach one to the other.

Totally illogical, but GW's way of trying to push you to take a command sqd.

Immortal99's request is illegal for SM, under the current codex, only a DA DeathWing or SW Wolf Guard Bodyguard from their respective codices can legally do this.

However, in a friendly game, or using 'house rules', I would have no problem letting the IC have an Assault Termie Sqd as his command.

Seleucus

immortal99
24-12-2005, 10:47
However, in a friendly game, or using 'house rules', I would have no problem letting the IC have an Assault Termie Sqd as his command.

Thats what I mean, i know you can't in the rules or I would have posted this in the rules section.

Knighty
24-12-2005, 11:25
Just for the record, under the 4th ed. FAQ rules on GW's site, Dark Angels use the two seperate Terminator squads as is in the new codex.

Oberon
24-12-2005, 14:32
Even better: take allied GK GM+GKT retinue. Better than assault marines, toucher IC than any in SM list, and more expensive too. Basicly a powerful, fearless librarian. More strenght than assault terminators, faster in cc than terminators, fearless+other great special rules, cool models, what more you can hope for? Oh yeah, points for the rest of your army! :D
Well, GM is 166pts with 4+ inv, then box full of terminators for a retinue, about 220 more, tough but expensive. What termies are not?

boogle
24-12-2005, 16:13
I would let you every time no questions asked

DrDoom
24-12-2005, 16:20
Yep.

I'm kinda surprised you can't take them anyway.

Jimbobjeff
24-12-2005, 17:48
A little off topic but how about taking banners etc in a normal termi command squad? just wondering..I have a conversion in mind and I dont get the dex til tomorrow.... yay christmas... its like a space marine recruitment drive...

AgentZero
24-12-2005, 20:41
Sure you can. I don't care. I like nuking exotic squads :p

Anvils Hammer
24-12-2005, 22:22
does it make sense in the back ground.. yep
is it over powered in any way.. nope

sure, go ahead, no problems here.

starlight
24-12-2005, 22:27
I'd let you, of course I would.:D

Bear in mind that my Ladz *looooove* expensive HQs, especially those with 3+/2+ saves.:evilgrin:

;)

An entire unit of GKTs went down under the Choppaz of my Ladz when their DS roll went awry.:D

Gen_eV
24-12-2005, 22:37
does it make sense in the back ground.. yep
is it over powered in any way.. nope

sure, go ahead, no problems here.

Couldn't put it any better myself. Go for it. and if anyone gives you any grief, remind them about the two Assault Cannons you've missed out on. I'd much rather see Assault Termies than Assault Cannons DSing around the battlefield.

starlight
24-12-2005, 23:43
Even better have the AssCan Terminator Squad sitting on the top in your case and suggest that you *could* swap them out if your opponent objects.:evilgrin: I know that I'd rather face Assault Terminators than AssCan Terminators.:D

Cypher
24-12-2005, 23:49
I really dont think GW made any effort with Terminator Command Squads. Both the assault terminator thing, as well as the absence of standard/apothecary upgrades, is really quite poor (although the apothecary might be a tad powerful).

AgentZero
25-12-2005, 07:23
I don't care if the Terminators have assault cannons either. They might get to use them one round. Two in a really good situation.
Unless it's CityFight, but then cannons are wasted.

mkerr
25-12-2005, 16:10
Even better have the AssCan Terminator Squad sitting on the top in your case and suggest that you *could* swap them out if your opponent objects.:evilgrin: I know that I'd rather face Assault Terminators than AssCan Terminators.:D

I'm with Starlight on this one. Anything that limits the number of Assault Cannons is a good thing.

archonbrujah
25-12-2005, 16:16
Doesn't it become a bit unbalanced when the "assault termie command squad of death" DS's into the rear of the enemy army, with the Commander, attached chaplan, and attached Libby with MoH, and of course furious charge? Unlike the regular termie command squad, you can all be packing LC's, so after surviving 1 round of enemy fire you begin the assault conga of death. Assault with I5, reroll to misses, failed wounds, at S5, plus extra attacks on the commander with MoH? Crazy expensive, but so are "Demon Princes of Death" and they mainly work well, especially against Tau and other non-hth gods.

That being said, fluff wise makes perfect sense, but they've never really used fluff to justify squad options. And for anyone who's interested, Wolf Guard squads can't get the Chaplain reroll to hits, or the extra attacks, and pay for the drop pod, so not half as bad, and fairly pricey to boot.

Archonbrujah

NakedFisherman
25-12-2005, 17:08
I don't see them in the SM codex, so no.

It depends on why you want them. If your army is unpainted, then definitely not.

Xander-K
25-12-2005, 18:40
'fraid not, space marines get lame termie command squads for a reason, if you want something better then change your whole army... if you don't want to change your whole army, then you can't be too bothered about it.

starlight
25-12-2005, 18:49
archonbrujah: Not really. If they DSed it will likely be Turn 3 or 4 before they actually affect the game by getting into CC. This gives you all those turns with the upper hand (pointswise) to hammer on the rest of their army. If they ride a LR, that's *even more* points tied up to get a (hopefully) Turn 2 assault.

If they want to.....go right ahead.:evilgrin:

Knighty
25-12-2005, 20:18
I'd say no.

Once you start bending the rules you'll end up changing them all. I'm guessing that Assault termie command squads are being saved for dark angels, so if you really want one then play them :p

RampagingRavener
25-12-2005, 21:58
I've got no problem with it. Its not overpowered (hell, I can mash ass. terms in combat, its just a nice little parcel of Victory Points but without a shooting attack) and seems in line with the fluff, no reason why they could have a regular termie command and not an assault one.

Its a little, one-off change for a freindly game, ask your opponent beforehand, but IMO its perfectly fine. Its not going to turn the whole game upside down.

Kahadras
25-12-2005, 23:05
In casual games. Yeah sure; no problem as far as I can see. This is, of course, my responce, but other people may object and they have the right to call you on it due to the fact that it is not techincaly in the codex. I cannot see why you just don't use the elite slot and just plonk a character in with the unit. It stops a whole lot of messing around.

Kahadras

starlight
25-12-2005, 23:13
Then they wouldn't fit in a regular Land Raider.:(

Kahadras
25-12-2005, 23:19
It's what Land Raider Crusaders were developed for. Plus you get an extra terminator in there (after the 5 assault terminators and the chaplain). Its still all good.

Kahadras

Flame Boy
25-12-2005, 23:32
If you paid for it as a DIY doctrine (in other words, you had a drawback to go with it), then the opponent can't complain. I wouldn't really mind anyway, but it's another way of looking at the issue.

GloomyGrim
26-12-2005, 10:18
if it's not in the codex it's not allowed. period.

boogle
26-12-2005, 10:48
hmm GloomyGrim, so the bit in the book where it says 'it your game do with it as you please' doesn' apply to you and Knighty then?, i'm glad i don't have to play either of you, as i don't think it would be much fun

GloomyGrim
26-12-2005, 12:17
well, you can play me a fun game with me having a Ork Nob retinue for my Space Marine captain. How about that? ;)
Don't make assumption on the gaming fun against others just because they like to stick to the rules.

TWB
26-12-2005, 13:08
I figure the option isn't available in the Codex for a good reason (perhaps 50 DSing terminators with furious charge, lightning claws lead by 4 epistolary librarians and 2 chaplains was a little too much to contemplate . . . .), to be honest an Indy Character joining a regular assault termi squad is just as good.

I wouldn't rule it out as part of a campaign or something, but bypassing rules is a wee bit off, can I include Leman russes in my command platoon? sentinels as troops choices??

boogle
26-12-2005, 16:05
from a fluff standpoint however it would be allowed especially if the command was leading a boarding action, Cityfight etc

Kahadras
26-12-2005, 18:03
well, you can play me a fun game with me having a Ork Nob retinue for my Space Marine captain. How about that?

If you see that as being OK then no problem with me. Taking stuff from different codex is slightly more dubious than shifting around weapons fits on Terminators and I would like to see the fluff for the Nob retinue ending up under the command of a Space marine Captain.
If there is a reasonable excuse i.e if all of the elite slots are filled with Tech marines, Dreadnoughts and Veteran squads then I would not have a problem if he wanted to include some Assault Terminators in the army as well. I normaly find it OK to let a couple of things like that go if they won't really have a large impact on the game in general.

Kahadras

hamani
26-12-2005, 18:58
personally i would have liked the assault termi command squad as an option int eh codex but it wasnt put there, probibly for a good reason, like the chaplin and 4 LC termies in a land raider combo, but you wouldnt let someone take 5 plasma cannons in a dev squad would you? follow the codex and be grumpy, i want single attack bikes back but am not going to use them anyway and just hope my opponent dosnt mind.

dumbuket
26-12-2005, 19:13
If you must insist on being a "I've got teh h2h uberunit of death I pwnzzor u!" twinky, just bring shrike and his retinue. Same no-brainer instant-win action, but for some reason, it's codex legal.

634 points of infiltrating, scouting, stealth, 42 lightning claw attack action...

GloomyGrim
26-12-2005, 19:54
If you see that as being OK then no problem with me. Taking stuff from different codex is slightly more dubious than shifting around weapons fits on Terminators and I would like to see the fluff for the Nob retinue ending up under the command of a Space marine Captain.

The Space marine captain beat their warboss in close combat and the Nobz swore allegiance to him, since orks respect combat prowess. being from an unorthodox SM Chapter the SM captain saw use in those brutes and let's them live as long as they fighht by his side. He thinks they're under control but the Nobz are getting bigger and preparing to kill the SM captain. meanwhile they maim, kill and etc in the name of the emperor.. they get decent food, and ammunition for their gunz plus they can keep the loot they find. how's that for fluff?

If there is a reasonable excuse i.e if all of the elite slots are filled with Tech marines, Dreadnoughts and Veteran squads then I would not have a problem if he wanted to include some Assault Terminators in the army as well. I normaly find it OK to let a couple of things like that go if they won't really have a large impact on the game in general.

Kahadras
If said slots are filled, said person can use a second force organisation chart instead of switching around slots. If there are limited slots it's for a reason... and the answer to filled slots is a second FOC. Or else we would see Devastatoir squad posing as commanders retinues or elite slots when heavy support slots are filled.

Kahadras
26-12-2005, 20:51
how's that for fluff?

Whatever floats your boat. Just expect to get a lot of patronising smiles from the people you play against. Going to a second force org chart seems a little ott to me for a casual game. While definatly being right out for tournament play I don't see why people have to get so wound up about friendlies. While I may comment on your Ork Nob idea I would still play the list.

Kahadras