PDA

View Full Version : Stand and Shoot against a failed charge?

Dark_Knight
17-05-2009, 10:50
Can archers/gunners stand and shoot if the chargers fail and does not reach them?

theunwantedbeing
17-05-2009, 10:54
If it doesnt reach the maximum range of their weapons, no.
You can stand and shoot if your weapons are in range.
Stand and shoot is performed before chargers are moved.

jwiv
17-05-2009, 11:13
If it doesnt reach the maximum range of their weapons, yes.
Stand and shoot is performed before chargers are moved. Yes, with the caveat that if the unit starts its charge outside of the maximum weapon distance, the charge is interrupted once the unit enters the maximum range.

Necromancy Black
17-05-2009, 11:35
Correctly, the moment the charging unit comes into range they must stop and let the other unit stand and shoot.

So if they start in range the stand and shoot happens before they are moved.

This also means you can't choose to wait for the chargers to come into short range.

Artinam
17-05-2009, 12:01
To go deeper into this, what happens when a unit has a mix of Ranged weapons. Say for example a unit of Empire handgunners with a Marksmen who has a brace of pistols. Do you take the pistols or the handgunners range for the stand and shoot.

And what if this same unit has a Hochland Long rifle, I know its basicly impossible to charge 36 inch but would this mean only the hochland gets to shoot and the handgunners have to give up their shots?

Gazak Blacktoof
17-05-2009, 12:09
I'd say they shoot at a range that optimises the number of shots. I don't think there's any black and white indication in the rules as to what you do in this situation.

Sasquatch
17-05-2009, 12:17
To go deeper into this, what happens when a unit has a mix of Ranged weapons. Say for example a unit of Empire handgunners with a Marksmen who has a brace of pistols. Do you take the pistols or the handgunners range for the stand and shoot.

And what if this same unit has a Hochland Long rifle, I know its basicly impossible to charge 36 inch but would this mean only the hochland gets to shoot and the handgunners have to give up their shots?

I'd just assume that each individual shoots at the earliest possible moment.

danny-d-b
17-05-2009, 12:19
I belive the rule is that you wait till the person with the shortist range is in range, while this means you don't get to shoot as oftern you do always get to fire at short range if you have handguns and a pistol!

Necromancy Black
17-05-2009, 13:13
The rule from the BRB is "..the unit let's loose as soon as their enemies are within range of every firing model in the unit."

So yes, you will not shoot until the chargers are within firing range of the unit with the shortest shooting range.

Rupposed
17-05-2009, 15:02
Based on that, what happens on a failed charge where they never get in range of the pistols, but DO get in range of the rest of the unit? The way I interpret that is that no-one would Stand and Shoot.

theunwantedbeing
17-05-2009, 15:14
Based on that, what happens on a failed charge where they never get in range of the pistols, but DO get in range of the rest of the unit? The way I interpret that is that no-one would Stand and Shoot.

Thats an odd interpretation....
Page 19, under stand and shoot, refer to page 25 for shooting rules
page 26, under shooting rules, models not in range to shoot automatically miss.

So those in range get to shoot, those not in range dont.
The advantage of having a model with a low range weapon (max range lower than the rest of the units limit of short range) is that the unit get's to stand and shoot at short range, rather than long range if the enemy is in range of the shorter ranged weapon.

Atrahasis
17-05-2009, 15:18
Except, TUW, the unit does not shoot until the pistol-armed model is in range to do so.

If he's never in range, the unit never shoots.

theunwantedbeing
17-05-2009, 15:24
Page 26 does say "only those in range may shoot".
If you arent in range, you dont shoot, so arent a firing model, so the range of your weapon is irrelevant for stand and shoot purposes.

Atrahasis
17-05-2009, 16:43
So you're saying that it is a firing model so the unit waits, but it isn't so they won't?

Nurgling Chieftain
17-05-2009, 18:45
Can you declare that particular model as not shooting in the S&S?

T10
17-05-2009, 20:53

So the question is: Does the unit get to make it's stand-and-shoot attacks if it turns out that the chargers fail to move within range of all models shooting.

I guess the best way to resolve this is to state which models will fire (or refrain from firing) before working out ranges. Figure out at what range the unit will take it's stand-and-shoot attacks. If the chargers fail to reach this range then the defenders do not get to shoot.

-T10

Gazak Blacktoof
17-05-2009, 21:55
Figure out at what range the unit will take it's stand-and-shoot attacks. If the chargers fail to reach this range then the defenders do not get to shoot.

-T10

-Wait till you so the whites of their eyes!

-Hold it!

-Hold it!

-They've stopped?

-Never mind...

Rupposed
17-05-2009, 23:33
I think T10 has it. You should need to declare that the pistol-armed model is not firing when you declare your Stand and Shoot reaction, sort of a counter guess-ranges to the chargers.