PDA

View Full Version : Necromancer

Baggers
24-12-2005, 12:32
Hi all as a chistmas present GW has given us a picture of the Necromancer in the senak peeks go to GW Webpage to see it now.

Pertinax
24-12-2005, 12:58
Nice, isn't he?

Sniper Kelly
24-12-2005, 14:39
I'm really looking forward to the suplement, does anybody know roughly when it's going to be released?

Baggers
24-12-2005, 18:39
I reckon from what has been mentioned around the summer. With the TTT supplement towards the back end of the year.

Pertinax
24-12-2005, 21:17
iirc, May/June has been mentioned.

Sniper Kelly
24-12-2005, 22:36
Thanks, I guess I can just about wait that long!

takenoko
25-12-2005, 05:31
Not too sure of this guy... For some reason I doubt he would have looked like that, had Weta and PJ designed him, and that is negative. He looks far more WC3 (Dark Reavers, anyone?) than LOTR.

I wonder why they didn't stick with Weta's designs for Sauron at the Black Gates, before turning into that silly Ironclump they thankfully erased (for those who lack the extended ROTK: Sauron i Maya-form was priginally supposed to come and bully Aragorn for a while, just before he charges, and the designs for mr. Evil there lookes stunning).

Looking forward to the supplement, though. One day I will start playing LOTR, I've put this up for far too long... ^^

Baggers
25-12-2005, 16:02
No, I think that the form of the Necromancer is fine Takenoko what you have forgotten is that the Necromancer is not the same as Sauron in the film. Hence why a more coporial form where he is regrowing or regenerationg his body which what they have gone for works. I admit I am not a fan of the green colour scheme but that is just me.

The pestilent 1
26-12-2005, 01:35
Not too sure of this guy... For some reason I doubt he would have looked like that, had Weta and PJ designed him, and that is negative. He looks far more WC3 (Dark Reavers, anyone?) than LOTR.

I wonder why they didn't stick with Weta's designs for Sauron at the Black Gates, before turning into that silly Ironclump they thankfully erased (for those who lack the extended ROTK: Sauron i Maya-form was priginally supposed to come and bully Aragorn for a while, just before he charges, and the designs for mr. Evil there lookes stunning).

Looking forward to the supplement, though. One day I will start playing LOTR, I've put this up for far too long... ^^

Except Saurons Fair form was destroyed forever when he 9and most of numenor as i recall) were destroyed by the Valars wrath trying to get to the undying lands.

wasnt going to happen.

takenoko
26-12-2005, 02:31
No, I think that the form of the Necromancer is fine Takenoko what you have forgotten is that the Necromancer is not the same as Sauron in the film. Hence why a more coporial form where he is regrowing or regenerationg his body which what they have gone for works. I admit I am not a fan of the green colour scheme but that is just me.

Well, I would be a fool to argue Tolkien lore with Baggers, so I accept your defence of the model. However, my main point was that I saw Sauron in his fair form as much more good looking and Tolkienesque than the GW model. Its just a matter of taste, I can't see the Necromancer as imagines by Tolkien as a green floating ghost. He simply doesn't appeal to me. But I resign the topic, since I'll never be gatting that model anyway. The Mirkwood Elves, however, are a completley different matter... ;)

Orbital
27-12-2005, 06:03

I'm actually thinking he's like those Revenant Ghosts. N'est pas?

I wonder why they didn't stick with Weta's designs for Sauron at the Black Gates

That wasn't actually Sauron. It was a character known as "The Mouth Of Sauron". He spoke for Sauron, but he was not Sauron himself. Sauron could not achieve corporeal form at the time.

Just FYI: Every time I correct someone online about a LotR fact, a part of my soul dies.

Shadowheart
27-12-2005, 07:21
Takenoko wasn't even talking about the Mouth. :rolleyes: He was referring to the discarded version of the Black Gates scene where Sauron appeared before Aragorn in his angelic Maia-form, before doing battle with him. That's how Aragorn ended up fighting the troll, it was pasted over Sauron.

At any rate, there's plenty of room for interpretation regarding Sauron's shape during the Third Age, and if indeed he had one. The FAQ of the Encyclopedia of Arda has an entry on it, if you're interested. So I don't think GW's Necromancer is going against the books directly, though it goes against the movies, where "he cannot yet take physical shape" and later appears only as Barad-dr's neon advertisement / searchlight.

Personally I've always imagined Sauron at this time as a formless presence, at best a vague shadow dwelling somewhere in his fortress. I definitely can't see him as a floating bit of armour with a huge cloak. Let alone a green cloak. And I don't believe the White Council came into direct contact with him when they "drove" him from Dol Guldur.

Orbital
27-12-2005, 07:22
Takenoko wasn't even talking about the Mouth. :rolleyes:

I stand corrected!

The Judge
27-12-2005, 21:53
Certainly an odd colour - I liked the idea of the incorpereal shadow lurking in the tower, but that would simply be to easy to exorcise wouldn't it? The White Council need something hard like a Nightbringer-impersonator to fight, even if the end of the fight is spoiled for us (FALL of the Necromancer)

takenoko
27-12-2005, 23:01
I'm actually thinking he's like those Revenant Ghosts. N'est pas?

You are correct, at least in this correction :p . It is far too long since last i played WC, perhaps I will jave to return to Azeroth once I'm back in my fair homeland?

As for how I really imagined Sauron, I agree with Shadowheart. He was a formless shadow, an evil presence, nothing more. In my eyes kind of like a super-evil Ring Wraith without the robes. But since GW decided to go for a mini, I would have prefered something more along the designs of WETA, matching the rest of the range, but obviously this is not what our beloved company had in mind.

As for matching the rest of the range, I would place him somewhere between the Swan Knights and the Morannon Orcs, aka could be part of the LOTR range, but could just as well not. Which I find unfortunate.

Shadowheart
28-12-2005, 02:35
Certainly an odd colour - I liked the idea of the incorpereal shadow lurking in the tower, but that would simply be to easy to exorcise wouldn't it? The White Council need something hard like a Nightbringer-impersonator to fight, even if the end of the fight is spoiled for us (FALL of the Necromancer)

The problem is that if you go by the books, the White Council didn't fight the Necromancer at all. It is discussed briefly in the chapter The Council of Elrond and also in Of the Rings of Power and the Third Age in the Silmarillion.

Dol Guldur was merely a temporary hideout Sauron used while the Nazgl prepared Barad-dr for his return. Because Saruman held back the White Council for years, they were too late in taking action. When at last they did, Sauron was ready to leave and feigned to flee.

Even if Sauron had built up a semblance of a physical shape at that time, I don't see why he would riks it by directly confronting the White Council. Against that combined might he couldn't hope to achieve anything, and while they couldn't destroy him, they could've at least weakened him temporarily.

The Judge
01-01-2006, 12:53
Oh I know they didn't fight him - but that wouldn't be a very good idea to base a supplement around - White Council arrives, fights a couple of spiders, but Sauron's run off.

immortal99
01-01-2006, 14:45
He looks nice.

@ the judge: yes there is that, there is also they can make more money out of making him. ;)

The Judge
01-01-2006, 17:31
Well fair enough - that was half my point...

plus a cheap excuse to do new wood elves/more evil heroes/ etc.

Pertinax
01-01-2006, 21:11
Well, that's part of the point of the supplement, is to do the realms of the wood elves. Plus to get some plastics out there too.

The Judge
03-01-2006, 14:24
I did think that they were going to get their own supplement - Mirkwood or somehting like that, but is this the wood elf one? Stupid question really...

Baggers
03-01-2006, 19:21
Yeah more or the Necromancer hold is in Mirkwood, hence why we will be getting plastic wood elves

Shadowheart
04-01-2006, 11:55
Oh I know they didn't fight him - but that wouldn't be a very good idea to base a supplement around - White Council arrives, fights a couple of spiders, but Sauron's run off.

Exactly. So the obvious solution would be not to base a supplement around the Fall of the Necromancer. Or for a less obvious route, take a different approach to the scenarios so that they don't involve an open battle with the Necromancer.

They could've based the "Mirkwood" supplement around the battles that take place there during the War of the Ring. Plenty open battle going on then, and Dol Guldur was still a stronghold of evil. Just no Necromancer or Ringwraiths.