PDA

View Full Version : creating a 2000 point IG army.

Guerillaboy
17-05-2009, 18:39
Ive been interested in IG since I started playing last december, however I went with Chaos instead because I was told IG was weak and not fun to play, But I decided I like the way they look and the fluff for them so I want to start one anyway. (Also that way I can use a counts as renegade militia if need be), But I dont know where to even start on building them as I honestly know nothing about them. I know I should buy the codex, but I wont have the money for about a week. So where should I start on building a good competitive 2000-2500 point army. MAinly I play always against space marines, with the occasional tau or eldar. So I need something that can compete against those mostly. Im not worried money-wise ( as long as the uber expensive FW stuff isnt thrown in there.). I really appreciate any help.

sigur
17-05-2009, 18:43
...But I decided I like the way they look and the fluff for them so I want to start one anyway. ...

Doesn't have much to do with the fact that they are considered "zomfgoverpowered" at the moment. ;)

Anyhoo, get the codex, don't do anything before that. When you get the codex, get two boxes of infantry and a command squad box (I assume you'll want to play plastic cadians). Read the codex, choose what you like, assemble your first few models, paint them. THEN (this means after painting and assembling), get some heavy weapons and more infantry. Assemble, paint. THEN (after having painted your minis), get something fun and try to get your army playable (1 HQ, 2 Troops choices plus something fancy like a Leman Russ). Play games with this list, add proxies, etc.

Build it up slowly, get (and paint) lots of infantry first, have fun. Do NOT get 2000 or even 1000 points at once.

sharkaithegreat
17-05-2009, 19:03
Depends on what you what your guard to do, If you want an infantry based army then you'll want a few platoons of guardsmen. If you want loads of tanks, then get veteran squads as they are cheaper than a platoon, and then you can get more tanks.
You'll probably want to get some forgeworld tanks, they make special conversion turrets and whole tank sets for a reasonable price

Imperius
17-05-2009, 19:43
a few easy steps:
1) Get the Codex.
2) READ the Codex.
3) Analyize units and characters.
4) Make an army list.
5) Buy that army list.

SharpSilver
17-05-2009, 22:21
What Imperius said.

But,

I think a good option is to buy the battleforce as a starting core for your army, along with a command squad. Then, using the Codex you can build upon the core using your own lists.

CommissarHybrid
18-05-2009, 00:40
If your planning on taking on alot of marines and tau, I recomend taking a look at Storm Troopers. For myself, I would take the following.

30 Storm Troopers with Plasma Guns (behind enemy lines) 585
2 Leman Russ w/ 3x Heavy Bolters 340
3 Basilisks 375
Platoon (5 Infantry Squads, 2 SW squads) 12 meltas, Captain Al'rahem 540
Platoon (5 Infantry Squads combined squads) 6 meltas 340
Platoon (5 Infantry Squads) 6 meltas 340
Company Command Squad, Creed, Kell 225
Heavy Weapon Squad (mortars) 2x 120

The stormtroopers and two of the platoons come in from the flank. (thats 135 men)
The remaining platoon, leman russes, and the two unflanking command squads press from the front.
And the Basilisks and Mortar Teams provide a little covering fire to keep the enemies heads down. The Basilisks, Leman Russes, and Storm Troopers are going to be your strong arm against marines. The three platoons of Guardsmen are there to absorb casualties and drown the enemy in their blood.

Thats a good 'anti marine' army in my mind. But like every one else here is saying, you should really read the book first. There are just so many OPTIONS. You can have an army of Veterans coming in from Valkyries and Vendettas, supporting Storm Troopers using Behind Enemy Lines and supported by a Squadron of outflanking Leman Russes thanks to Creed (who can be inside a Valkyrie)

Get a picture in your head of what you want your army to do, how you want it to act, and what you want it to kill... and the Guard codex will have a way for you to do it.

Codsticker
18-05-2009, 01:25
Unless you are going to go with something a little less mainstream, I would get two Battleforces to start-Cadians or Catachans, your choice. You are going to need pretty much all that stuff, except the Sentinels.

Da_Killa
21-05-2009, 12:42
codex, 2 battle forces and another comand squad