PDA

View Full Version : Revolutionary Lm vs Orcs 2500

Feefait
17-05-2009, 19:44
Battled to day against Domandhi, another Warsserite. He wanted ot give his orcs a go aain since he's been doing a lot of DE lately. I've been relatively succesful with LM and he wanted to challenge the new list.

Generally my list goes somethig liek this:
SLann, ruminatin, cogitation, asskickitation
temple guard
couple saurus
couple skinks
Priest, eotg...

but well, i needed something else. and thats about standard for all LM lists these days I think.

So I decided on 3 things. No Eotg. What I ended up with was a pretty "crazy" army. I also decided no dispel scrolls and I was going to try the "new and improved" salamanders and razordons.
Here it goes:
Slann, Rumination, Cogitation, Regen, BSB - banner of hotec, Tepok
Lore of Shadows - all but Creeping Death
Priest, lvl 2 -
Priest, lvl 2 -
Priest lvl 2 -

12 skink cohorts, mus (all 3 priests were here on a hill)
12 skinks skirm, jav's
20 saurus, fc, spears (sa1)
20 saurus, fc, spears (sa2)
3 Terradons (te1)
3 Terradons (te2)
3 Kroxigor (krx)
2 Salamanders (sal)
2 Razordons (raz)

So the plan basically was to get a couple damage spells with the skinks and take out warmachines and wolfriders, etc. Salamnders and Razordons should have enough massed fire to weaken or panic a unit or 2.

Problem is once i rolled for spells i had Pit of Shades and Steed with the Slann but missed Creeping Death, but it was okay. However the damnable skinks screwed it up i had: (Second Sign, Portent), (Second Sign, Portent)(Portent, Forked Lightning). SO I relally only had 1 damage dealing spell. Crown of Taidron on the Slann would hurt me as much as him, so that was out. i figured i would have enough rerolls though that i'd be able to get off anythign anyway.

Orc list looked like this (I'll list the character witht he unit):
Blorc Big Boss, boar, morks totem (+3dd?)
25 boyz (boyz1), fc, shields

NG shaman, staff of sneaky stealin
NG shaman, 2 dispel scrolls

25 boyz (boyz2), fc, shields
25 boyz, shields, fc (boyz3)
25 savage boyz (sb)
5 wolfriders (wr1)
5 wolfriders, bows (wr2)
5 spider riders (sr)
20 night goblins, fc,2 fanatics (ng1)
20 night goblins, fc,2 fanatics (ng2)
boar chariot (bc)
doom diver (dd)
2 bolt throwers (bt)
2 pump wagons (!!!) (pw)
25 Black Orcs with...
Grim ***** gor Ironhide!!!!! (bo)

Now Domandhi and I have played a lot of game sover the last 15 years. I have a pretty good record. He has beaten my Skaven once, and my lizardmen once. I may be forgetting a victory of his, but I don;t think so. NOw they are not all massacres. Usually it's last play, last round, something crazy and I win. Once, Skaven vs Dark elves turn 1 I sniped his lvl 4 sorceress on a dragon, causing it to run away with a jezzail. Turn 1. But we have fun, so we keep at it. NOw in all this time I cannot recall him EVER brining a special character. I have set the precedent maybe, as I usually bring Tetto'ekko. He was concerned over a carnosaur/oldblood and wanted something that could stand up to that. I think he found it. I had no idea what he could do till he was placed, and there was nothing i could do about it then.

The battlefield was relatively open, as he decided to really place anything. so we had a couple hills, but mostly we were open. I needed more terrain to stop, or slow down all those blocks.

Warmachines
WR1 NG1 Boyz1 sr pw boyz2 BO SB Boyz3 PW NG2 WR2

Skinks Ter1 l S a u r u s 1 lSal l S a u r u s 2l Terr2
Skink Cohorts TG Raz Krox

The deplyoment was a bit... unorthodox. I expected more template weapons, at least 1 stone thrower. I knew he would be waiting for the EotG, so he would have bolt throwers. So my saurus went in single rank, all the way across. Just a line of 20 saurus. I figured turn 2 reform to standard formation. I would have a some warmachine sout of commision by then. With Magic, terrradons and terradons "unseen lurked" i would be safe. But if I was hit before I ocould get there he would only have 1 rank to hit with Bolt throwers and less of a bunch to hit with templates.

I hoped to win first turn, but of course didn't...

Orc 1
He passes all animosity except WR1, which was no big deal. Sucked for me though! lol Evrything advanced. He had no magic, but the doom diver shot at Sa1 and killed 2. Bolt throwers killed 1 Te1.

LM 1

I charged moved up with skinks, and terradons and started screwing up here. I charged the PW first, but then we remembered the SR's were in some trees right next to them, but due to size we couldn't actually palce them there. so Terr didn't fit. I moved them up anyway, thinking I'd Lurk them to the warmachines. Unfortunately his fanatics came out of NG1 and wiped out the terradons. on the other side. I moved, or planned ot move over the WR2 and drop rocks with Terradons, then end up next to PW2 and shoot it into decommission. However, fanatics again came out and killed 1.5 terradons. They panicked and flew to the back of my lines. Fan-*******-tastic! :D

Everything else reformed or shifted a bit. Salamanders and Razordons moved up to shoot. Krox filled the gap between saurus1 and sal after the saurus reformed.
IN magic I got off Forked Lighnintg and killed 2 of 3 DD crew. I got off 1 second sign and got 2 rerolls. The the suck started. Even with the extra di and rerolls, the slann cast nothing. I had planned on using Steed of Shadows on my TG champion, but it was pointed out it's only for characters... i did NOT read the actual rules when strategizing today. lol So that was a big blow, as nothing else was really useful for steed.
Shooting saw me roll a 2 and 4 for salamnders and come up short of the savage boyz. razordons were out of range. I had hoped to Lurk them within 12". But my slann left his mojo home today.

Orc 2

Again, animosity is quiet. Everything moves up. WR1 move to screen the warmachines. wr2 move between saurus 2 and sal, and march block. They are waaay too damn close. And Grimgor scares me. Shooting does nothing.

LM 2

I charge the Krox into the Save Boyz. I try charging the PW2 with Saurus2 on the right flank, but come up an inch short. I think about charging in the salamanders too, who would probably have a flank. But I had a Pump Wagon and 25 boyz in my reptilian rear that way, so decided I could get off a good shot. I planned on shooting wiht the razordons, the Lurking them into a charge on the boyz1. Of course once we got to magic I remembered shooting comes AFTER magic... wtf...
Didn't matter. I miscast with a priest, and Domandi got a free spell off. Evrerything else failed. PIt of shades, Lurker.. you name it. I am not talking about having them dispelled... i failed to actually cast anything.
Salamanders hit the Boyz on the right, but on like 12 hits I think i killed 2.
Krox killed 5 or 6 boyz, but his frenzied champion hit 4 times, did 4 wounds and I failed any armor saves.... With SCR I lost by a couple but passed my break check.

Orc 3

The massacre

At this point it was over. He was in or near my deployment zone, and if you fight in your own zone you lose. He called the waaaagh and everything got in charge range.
HIs wolves both roll 1's and kill 4 out of 5, but he passes both panic checks. he didn't actually fail a roll in this game.
Pump Wagon2 charged the sallis, impact hit killing both of them and a handler. Grimgor and Blorcs charged Sa1
and just oblieterated them. Grimgor killed 4 or 5 and the Black orcs 4. The Boyz1 and the chariot charged the razordons. I stood and fired, 14 shots, 2 dead boyz... sigh. THey were crushed.

My only 2 bright spots that round were the skinks, who were charged by NG1. THey lost combat but rolled 1,1,3. And the kroxigor who still had the savage boyz to the front, got side charged by boyz2 and lost combat by a lot rolled an insane as well.

Didn't matter, I called it then. I could have played for some points I guess, but there was no where to go. He was n me with Grimgor and most of the army untouched.

I know people are down on orcs, but when they work, damn they work well. There were just too many units that were too big. I didn't have near enough damage dealers. I needed to take the fight to him, but Grimgor and those big blocks in the middle psyched me out.

Am I happy I didn't use the Engine and my stabdard list? Yup. Now I know just how useless Salamanders have become. At 75 points they just aren't worth it. The potential to do nothing is too high. And razordons... range 12" just blows. I screwed up everywhere. Spell selection, army compositon, deployment, movement... magic, rolling... lol.

Kudos to Domandi, he never let me recover or strengthen my psoition. He did just what orcs should do, come up fast and beat the crap out of things. :)

NOw I need to go play in the sun or something! lol

SevenSins
17-05-2009, 20:41
orcs and gobbos who doesn't fail much animosity can be a real danger. Kudos for trying something new, although shadow would not be my first choice against O&G (death possibly)

live and learn :)

Feefait
17-05-2009, 20:55
Yeah, I should have gone fire probably. Or soemthing to counter the lack of firepower from Heavens. I was banking on Lurker and Pit of Shades... lol yeah, i learned. I will not take orcs lighlty again!

PopeAlexanderVI
18-05-2009, 00:40
Death > Fire

Feefait
18-05-2009, 13:40
ONe thing I forgot to mention, which just added insult to injury... beginning of his turn 2, after my terradons had drawn all the fanatics in front of his line the 2 on the left flank ran into each other and died, the 2 on the right flank BOTH rolled doubles and killed themselves. So the Terradons were a completely useless sacrifice in the end... lol

Volker the Mad Fiddler
18-05-2009, 18:39
SNIP
Am I happy I didn't use the Engine and my stabdard list? Yup. Now I know just how useless Salamanders have become. At 75 points they just aren't worth it. The potential to do nothing is too high. SNIP

I don't think they are too bad. I still occasionally field my Flame cannon just for the 1 kill = panic test and salamanders get this at half the cost.

Awilla the Hun
18-05-2009, 19:57
When I saw the word "Revolutionary" in the battle report title, my first instinct was to accuse someone of stealing the idea of a commie themed warhammer army. Then, remembering that I had unintentionally stolen it from someone else, I was flattered by the imitation. Finally, I opened the report, and discovered that there wasn't a red flag in sight.

Good report though!

Domandi
18-05-2009, 23:52
Ya, it was a fun game. I have never had animosity work so well for me.(by that I mean have no effect at all). Only thing I wanted to add was that I only had 2 units of boys with shields, not 3.

Grimgore is a beast tho. For his points he just wrecks things. Feefait really had no idea what to do once I put him down. Had he known he was coming, I am sure he would have adjusted his deployment.

*edit* I guess you can't say frea-king here. :p

Malorian
19-05-2009, 15:26
I love Grimgor. If only you could join him to a regular orcs unit then I would take him a lot more.

Some bad luck with magic there...

Feefait
19-05-2009, 19:58
Ya, it was a fun game. I have never had animosity work so well for me.(by that I mean have no effect at all). Only thing I wanted to add was that I only had 2 units of boys with shields, not 3.

Grimgore is a beast tho. For his points he just wrecks things. Feefait really had no idea what to do once I put him down. Had he known he was coming, I am sure he would have adjusted his deployment.

*edit* I guess you can't say frea-king here. :p

all i know is you had a butt-load of units and it seemed like there were about 5. I think I counted the savage boyz as boyz as well in the write up. thanks for pointing it out!