PDA

View Full Version : StarShip Troopers

MacVurrich
24-12-2005, 14:51
Some may already know about this but couldn't see anything in the thread about.
The forth coming Viking dropship
http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/product_images/full_size/sstvikingpreview.jpg

http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/news/news_item.php?pkid_news=88#

Crazy Harborc
24-12-2005, 17:47
SOON, soon, I feel an order coming on, I see a shipment coming my way. More bugs, more MIs and their toys.:D

I'll be getting mine at a discount and likely with free shipping (in the USA).;) Check out www.thewarstore.com

starlight
24-12-2005, 18:04
I visit the Mongoose site more than the GW site.:p I'm looking forward to the developments in this line.:D

<eyes bank account>

VanHel
24-12-2005, 19:36
I can't wait for mongoose to release the dropship, but I'm also dreading it simply for the fact I see a drop troop army in my future.

Crazy Harborc
24-12-2005, 20:12
I am already seeing MI's taking on space suited (shorter) humanoids. Hey, all my "futuristic" toys are gathering dust (I'm waiting for 5th Edition next summer).

More likely is rebellion amongst the MIs:eek: (The bugs will attack either/both sides) Remember all those great 40K cardboard structures. The ones GW wants us all to forget (can't be priced high enough I guess). Well I haven't forgotten, I dusted them not too long ago.

Firebase Borc will soon be swarming with bugs:evilgrin: "SIR, bugs, bugs coming in the hatch marked don't lock this door aaaahhhhhhh":evilgrin:

asmodai_dark86
25-12-2005, 04:00
You do know that was due out in June along with the klendathu campaign and light mi - now expected in plastic sometime march maybe if there lucky.

Dont bother with pre-orders, stick with what you know and maybe one day, probably around 2007, it'll be out...

MacVurrich
25-12-2005, 12:54
I like the range, the only thing I don't is the MI troopers Hands

Ravenclaw74
27-12-2005, 02:16
Good movie visually, but horrible otherwise. Haven't read thte book though.

Christine
27-12-2005, 11:18
You should read the book, it's a darn site better.

starlight
27-12-2005, 22:37
Christine is back! Yippee! Stick around a bit this time.:D

No contest, the book is very good and only has the Names in common with the movie. Movie - okay for a SciFi movie, but *NOT* Starship Troopers. Heck even the CGI cartoon is better for that, kiddiefied as it is.

ankellagung
28-12-2005, 04:02
The movie is great. It's a comedy, right?

MacVurrich
28-12-2005, 11:49
The Games systems is based more on the cartoon than film or book thought they plan to bring the film into the range later (please not ST2)

Mad Makz
29-12-2005, 01:12
The movie is meant to be satirical, which is why it's really good. It's also about a 180 degree from the book, which was promoting 'right wing' ideology (compared to the movie which was making a farce of it). Seen in the right light they are both interesting points of view, but it's definitely not a case of the film being a true reflection of the book.

I think any games are going to ignore the politics of either the film or the book and just focus on the sci fi setting (which is cool, but lacking a little depth for my liking.)

The Ape
29-12-2005, 11:01
The book is probably my fave book EVER.

Heard mixed reviews about the game so am not prepared to splash out 50 for it just yet. Although the fact there is a suit called the "ape" certainly makes it more appealing.

Warsmith Strader
30-12-2005, 00:33
I thought about playing SST, but wasn't sure there were a lot of people who play in my home town... so never collected.

Brimstone
10-01-2006, 20:17
hmmm 64pages for 15 slightly more expensive than the marine codex.

What is interesting though are the Exosuits, I'm looking foreward to seeing those models.

Mad Makz
10-01-2006, 22:25
Mad Makz: Actually the book does not promote a right-wing ideology and like the film is intended to be satyrical.

You sure of that? Didn't read all that satirical to me, but I did read it sometime ago.

I haven't studied it or anything, so I'm not saying I doubt your words, but I have had quite a few discussions with more knowledgeable people than I on the subject and generally always boils down to the book being at least commentary on the differences between communism and a level of fascism, and as the humans are the fascists (and the bugs the communists) Heinlan's intention was to side with the advantages of a certain level of fascism.

Basically, I don't think the book is satirical, although I don't think it is necessarily a strong proponent of one side of the debate over the other more than just commentary on the nature of humans (and the impossible nature of communism. I.E communism would work fine, but only if we were bugs linked in a Hive Mind).

Now, to stay on topic, the beauty of the world (and thus probably the game) is that it's just a COOL SCIENCE FICTION novel, whether you read these themes into it or not. I'm not trying to get into a debate on the political side of things, just stating that the background source for the game have many and differing layers depending on your point of view, and what you believe the writers point of view was. (The movie was BLATANTLY satirical though.)