PDA

View Full Version : WLC misfire controllable?

Dr.Zahnfleisch
18-05-2009, 07:29
On a german board somebody came up with the idea of blocking the turn-move the WLC (Warplightning Cannon) has to do due to misfire.

He said that it's possible to influence the (usually random) direction of the shot by placing units around the misfireing WLC so that it would be physically blocked and forced to shoot into a certain direction.

Is there an official statement about this, or maybe just a rule that makes it impossible?

Obviously that is just an attempt of power-gaming and I'm quite sure that it wouldn't be tolerated on tournaments, but is it still possible?

Ultimate Life Form
18-05-2009, 07:33
Physically blocking a pivoting War Machine.:eyebrows:

This is even better than the last thread, which suggested the crewmembers would only block Line of Sight.

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=194653

I have no words for this.

Dr.Zahnfleisch
18-05-2009, 07:45
I never intended to use this "tactic" nor do I think it's legal so pls don't get me wrong.

I just want to know what (according to the rules) exactly should happen if there is a unit blocking the turn move of the WLC.

Ultimate Life Form
18-05-2009, 07:49
I completely understand.

And you better be prepared for there being no such rule that you ask for, since we are talking about GW rules here and they're not even able to spell the word Mage-Priest correctly.

By the way, I'd expect a madly spinning WLC to knock down everything in it's path. Every model in contact suffers a S5 hit because I say so. Not in the rules? Well, too bad, the blocking thing isn't, either.

PeG
18-05-2009, 08:04
and why would you even want to do that? It would require more models to block than the cannon is likely to kill when it fires in a random direction. Also it can also hit enemies when misfiring.

Finally the blocking units would of course also block normal pivoting so you would have to move them around every time you want to shoot.

Dr.Zahnfleisch
18-05-2009, 08:36
and why would you even want to do that? It would require more models to block than the cannon is likely to kill when it fires in a random direction. Also it can also hit enemies when misfiring.

Finally the blocking units would of course also block normal pivoting so you would have to move them around every time you want to shoot.

You could field like 2 Poisoned Wind Globadiers for 20P which cause the misfireing WLC to shoot a 48" S10 beam into whatever you want.

Ultimate Life Form
18-05-2009, 08:42
Okay, I still can't believe someone would try to pull this off, but...

If your opponent tries to do it, ask him to show you the exact passage where it says that it works like that. Failing that (no doubt), there's two possible outcomes: either he plays fair from now on, or you pack your stuff and go.

Atrahasis
18-05-2009, 08:47
Isn't the WLC move-or-fire?

If so, then you cannot do this.

The Cannon cannot turn to face its target in the movement phase, it can only do so as part of the firing process in the shooting phase. Unless the enemy walks what you want to fire at right in front of the cannon, there will need to be at least a little leeway in the cannon's rotation to allow it to turn in the shooting phase.

havoc626
18-05-2009, 08:56
Hmm, I never thought of doing that, and I play skaven a lot. Mind you, I probably didnt see this because it is a stupid, cheesy, WAAC thing to do, even if it is true in what Atrahasis says, as, if you use PWG, you mightn't be able to make it a perfect fire line, but it would narrow it down a lot. (Do this by moving the PWG around to make sure that the WLC can't shoot into your own battle line, while not moving the WLC at all.)

Personally, I'd just make the cannon fire in the direction shown, even if it can't actually turn to face that direction, and just play it from there.

Dr.Zahnfleisch
18-05-2009, 09:04
@ Ultimate Life Form:

There surely are people who would try to...especially if they're on a tournament.
In private games such behaviour would never be tolerated by me or any of my mates.

There is no actual passage that allows this "tactic", but you aren't allowed to move through friendly units either.

What would the referees do if this situation comes up at a tournament and they have to decide in terms of the rules?

@ Atrahasis:

Yes, the WLC is move-or-fire, but the turn move I ment is also part of the shooting-phase because it results from misfire.

Atrahasis
18-05-2009, 09:06
I realise that, but think about it.

If the Cannon can only turn in the shooting phase, then you cannot position troops in the movement phase to stop it turning without also preventing it from turning to shoot at its target.

Dr.Zahnfleisch
18-05-2009, 09:16
You may always leave some space between the PWG's and the WLC so that it
is able to turn around f.e. 45 to each side so that it will always be able to target multiple enemy units.

Even if it wasn't useful as an offensive measure you could still protect your own troops from being hit randomly as havoc626 said...

...so it's a pain in the a*** in every case

I'd personally handle it the way havoc626 suggested, but what about official tournaments?

Ultimate Life Form
18-05-2009, 09:17
There is no actual passage that allows this "tactic", but you aren't allowed to move through friendly units either.

It's not moving, it's spinning. That's a big difference. You cannot MOVE through friendly units, but the cannon isn't moving. It just gives a shot in a random direction. I really don't understand what's so difficult about it. Maybe it would be good to recall it's a game, and therefore follows the rules and not what one would think.

Listen, I have a Carnosaurus; it stands on a wee base and hangs over 2 meters, but still, no one would have the idea that it would be unable to turn around only because there's something in the way, and it is no longer a Large Target which means it can hide behind a unit of Skinks even though it's five times their size. This idea you keep talking about is utter nonsense, and the longer I think about it, the more I want to punch the idiot who came up with it in the face.

Solution's easy. It's a private game, kick the guy outta your house on the street and throw his stuff at him. It's a tournament, call a ref and get him banned. I have nothing else to say.