PDA

View Full Version : Wargear book - worth the money?

Emperor's Light
24-12-2005, 18:21
It's been about a month since the Wargear book has been out in the US. My question is: is it worth the money? I don't need a reprint of weapon stats because I have all the codices. However, I would be interested in background material and artwork such as cut-away diagrams of various 40K weapons. What do you get for the money? Do you think it's worth getting?

starlight
24-12-2005, 18:26
I'm still in the consideration stage, however I'm more of a *buy every Codex* type. I leafed through it at the local GW, but it didn't jump out at me as a must have purchase. However, I was a bit miffed that they managed to botch the proof-reading, so that may have coloured my impression.

Cool idea, but I'm still undecided for the time being.

Emperor's Light
24-12-2005, 18:36
Was there much background material?

I already have the Wargear book from 2nd ed., that was actually pretty interesting because it gave descriptions on how various weapons worked.

starlight
24-12-2005, 18:57
I don't recall much, but someone who *has* the book would be a better person to ask. It was (as I recall) just a (poor) cut and paste from the various Codexes of the Stat Tables and such.:(

I too was hoping for something along the lines of the 2nd Ed Wargear book, but reflecting our current desire for *more* and seeming willingness to pay for it. For people like me, who buy all of the Codexes anyways, it doesn't seem worth it. But then it only seems intended for those who want the enemy stats - perhaps tournament players?

boogle
24-12-2005, 20:17
personally i think no, unless you are beginner

AgentZero
24-12-2005, 20:38
I paged thru one and immediately put it back on the counter.

I stopped buying every Codex before 3rd Edition was at the halfway point.
I also stopped buying the majority of the special books besides Chapter Approved.

The price to page count ratio is NOT fair by any means.
The content is consistently inconsistent as well.
I've become much more picky with what I buy.

Insane Psychopath
24-12-2005, 20:42
I think I might be getting one for x-mas.

I think it great for tournament reason as it mean you can check up rules/state to make sue everthing going as to the game rules. It save you carrying all those codexies around.

I think it would be a good buy, it 12 in the UK.

IP

Scythe
25-12-2005, 11:01
Nah, I won't be buying it. The simple fact that it gets more and more outdated each few months with the release of new codexes just doesn't make it worth it for me. And it doesn't contain any interesting background material either, like codexes have.

Wintermute
25-12-2005, 11:05
The short answer to the question is no.

The long answer can be found here (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16178&highlight=wargear+book)

Additionally the book is full of errors - don't buy it.

Hortwerth
25-12-2005, 11:08
It's really a hard-fought battle between Wargear and White Dwarf for the Least Useful Publication award, really.

I think Wargear wins this. It's a simple reprint of all the weapon entries from the different codices, with no new or extended background and no new pics.

Wintermute
25-12-2005, 11:28
I think Wargear wins this. It's a simple reprint of all the weapon entries from the different codices, with no new or extended background and no new pics.

If it was a simple reprint it would almost be worth buying. But its not a reprint which is made obvious by the errors which have been introduced.

mkerr
25-12-2005, 16:05
I think it great for tournament reason as it mean you can check up rules/state to make sue everthing going as to the game rules. It save you carrying all those codexies around.

It is great for playing in tournaments and with people you don't know very well. I bought one and keep it in my travel case. I figure if it prevents the frustration of "I forgot my Codex but I know it's AP3" once, then it's worth what I paid for it.

DeathMajesty
26-12-2005, 01:55
I am probably not going to buy it for various reasons. Also since you have all the codexes it's not like it would be that useful to have, unless it has weapon fluff in it which you want. So my answer would be no, save your money and buy some more men, paint, brushes, or anything else you need. But the decision is yours.

Scythe
26-12-2005, 10:21
Just a related question; are you allowed to photocopy the summary pages of the various codexes for personal use? It would be a lot more usefull and reliable as the wargear book.

starlight
26-12-2005, 10:24
You can make *one* copy of anything (a *backup*) for personal use (you must own the original) without violating *copyright*.

insaniak
26-12-2005, 11:06
You can make *one* copy of anything (a *backup*) for personal use (you must own the original) without violating *copyright*.
Unless Canada has much more liberal Copyright laws than most of the rest of the western world, this is nonsense.

Some (but by no means all) countries allow backup copies of music and computer discs. This does not apply to printed material in any country so far as I've ever heard so far.

Some countries allow limited copying of printed material for personal use. Australia, for example, allows copying of up to 10% of the original (Or at least it did when I was working in a minilab some years ago). Some countries don't allow ANY copying without permission from the copyright owner. In the UK, for example, there is no 'fair use' clause allowing copying of printed material, aside from limited (but vaguely specified, if I remember correctly) amounts for educational purposes only.

And as I understand the current International Copyright agreement, the copyright is covered in any signatory country under the same laws as in the original country of publishing, which in this case is the UK. So even if you are in a country that normally allows the copying of printed material, any GW publication printed in the UK would be covered by UK copyright laws... but I could be wrong about that. Like most people who spout legal information on the 'net as if they know what they are talking about, I'm not a lawyer.

TWB
26-12-2005, 12:10
I'll refer you to this (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=347606&postcount=12) post on this (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17805&highlight=wargear%2C+book) thread for my oppinion on the Wargear book.

Although it's not a reprint, there is no new content, I was expecting the sort of detail and format that was used in the 2nd edition wargear book.

t-tauri
26-12-2005, 12:38
In the UK, for example, there is no 'fair use' clause allowing copying of printed material, aside from limited (but vaguely specified, if I remember correctly) amounts for educational purposes only.

Ten per cent, or one chapter, for educational or research purposes only in the UK. Some works are also specifically excluded from the licence like Open University courses and poetry. Any more than that limit and you can be in trouble as a few schools have found, especially if you copy sheet music.

As I understand it the "fair use" back-up only really applied to ephemeral and easily wiped magnetic media like tapes and floppies but has spread to apply to music/computer programmes not on vinyl or tape.

I like the concept of the Wargear book but it seems sadly flawed. I'd like to see a basic book which also buys access to downloadable pdfs of updated material as new codices appear.

Darius Rhiannon
26-12-2005, 18:38
Fair use would indeed cover you to make photocopies of all the reference pages of all the codexi.

You can even find the reference pages on GW's website.

It will be a sad day that copyright is enforced so strictly that you cannot make 1 photocopy out of a 80 page book. Especially considering that it is a "reference page"

Rabid Bunny 666
26-12-2005, 19:31
had a flick through one, the owner is paranoid to despair :( mistakes i noticed

terinator armour 3+/5+

:wtf: