PDA

View Full Version : SBG GT 2010 Army Planning!

lotrchampion
18-05-2009, 19:23
Again, its early in the year for this, but I like to get the ball rolling in my mind in time to get stuff bought, ready to be painted at 2am the night before the tournament (as usual :D). So, this year I'm considering taking very similar forces to last year's, as they brought me my best GT placing thus far (25th) losing only to 1st and 2nd (unlucky in itself to be drawn against them both...). My Good force will be recieving the Extra Armour upgrade in June, and my Evil force will be recieving a change in command from the Dark Lord. So without further ado, this is what I have so far.

Forces of Good - The Last March of the E...lves

This force is a little shaky, purely because of the lack of official points for the new Galadhrim, so I'm going from the standard Elf profile with Armour from the ORB at the moment.

Legolas w/ Elven Cloak
2 Stormcallers
17 Galadhrim Warriors w/ Shield
17 Galadhrim Warriors w/ Spear
13 Galadhrim Warriors w/ Bow
4 Galadhrim Warriors w/ Bow + Spear

700pts
18-20 shots/turn
5 Might
54 models

Almost the same numbers as last year, but Gandalf is swapped out for 2 Stormcallers, and of course, mass armour upgrade. As well as Gandalf did, I'd like to at least try out 2 Stormcallers, as the appeal of a potential 6 Natures Wraths is high. Plus the combination of 2 Call Winds is nice for forcing the enemy about, and potential Fellbeast sniping if I'm dead lucky. It has the numbers for the Objective missions, an excellent Hero for CoC, and should hold its own in ME. The higher armour means it should also be less vulnerable to enemy fire, and slightly less vulnerable to S3/4 in combat.

Forces of Evil - The Halls of the Mountain Goblin
This force has had only a couple of changes from last year's successful force (3 wins, 1 draw), and despite the fact that last year I didn't want to take him...this has the SL in. Should hopefully negate the majority of anti-Shade shooting!

Durburz
The Shadowlord w/ Fellbeast
Shade
24 Goblins w/ Shield
24 Goblins w/ Spear
14 Goblins w/ Bow
10 Goblins w/ Bow + Spear

700pts
24 (chod) shots/turn
5 Might
75 models

As nice as the DM+Shade combo is, I'm looking to test out the Shadowlord this year. His extra Will points, and of course the shooting negation he offers is great, and many others have great success with him. The only 2 times I lost last year were against the Shadowlord, and if you can't beat him, get him to join you! :P

So I lay my armies before the masses for your views. Let me know what you think of the forces!

Muchos gracias. :)

Captain Shrike
18-05-2009, 20:26
Sorry mate, the next GTs will be WOTR.

lotrchampion
18-05-2009, 20:38
I regularly speak to Andy Joyce, Events Team manager for WHW, and I have significantly different information. It has been confirmed that the SBG GT will continue for the forseeable future, and that at the end of 2010, the first WotR GT will take place. A few people including myself on TLA are currently looking at varying ways to put the WotR rules pack together, as has been noted by Ukorcky on TLA and some other forums, as the Events Team are stumped on the format at the moment. However, the next LotR GT will continue to be in pretty much the current format, the only change being that it will be formalised to be a Throne of Skulls event in order to allow it to easily be played as a GW event anywhere in the world.

=)

lotrchampion
21-05-2009, 11:40
Bump. Any comments?

jaws900
21-05-2009, 13:47
I like tho i wonder why Legolas is in an army from Lothlorien:confused:

Lord Hurin
19-06-2009, 17:17
I like tho i wonder why Legolas is in an army from Lothlorien:confused:

Why not? They can ally, and Legolas was certainly welcomed in Lorien.

The armies look pretty solid. I'm not sure what the Stormcallers do as yet, but 2 spells per turn is better than 1 I would guess!

The lack of elites is my only concern with the Goblins. I usually like to get a few Prowlers, etc in there. The basic Gobbos should be alright though with the Shadowlord Transfixing the hell out of everything!

It's a shame that the SBG seems dead on this forum. WoTR seems like a cheap gimmick to get a ton of cash off us, tbh!

Tae
21-06-2009, 03:02
It's a shame that the SBG seems dead on this forum. WoTR seems like a cheap gimmick to get a ton of cash off us, tbh!

/agree