PDA

View Full Version : Should I play Asrai?

Bingo the Fun Monkey
24-12-2005, 23:45
I've been playing Orcs and Gobbos for a while now and am almost done painting my 4k army. I'm looking for something altogether different and I think wood elves would be a nice alternative. I'm not a fan of relying on armor saves anyway (incidentally I also play Imp guard) and the movement phase is by far my favourite. My main opponents are brets, chaos and dwarfs. What kind of army would be best suited for busting armor? I wanted to do a wardancer themed one, but an all mounted force of fast cav is also really tempting. Any suggestions or am I barking up the wrong tree?;)

Flypaper
25-12-2005, 03:27
Woodies are rather light on armour-busting potential. It also doesn't help that they don't have much in the way of the other method of taking out elite units - overwhelming combat resolution.

...Having said that, Treekin are by all accounts quite good. And there's always the Treeman. Small units of Wardancers should do OK on flanks, but obviously they're not about to take on a Bret lance.

Grand Warlord
25-12-2005, 03:28
If you think it would be fun then go for it lol

Trunks
25-12-2005, 04:12
Wardancers could take on a lance easily (as easy as any heavy cavalry that is) if they get a flank charge, or on the front they could possibly pull it off when led by a character.

Therion
25-12-2005, 04:22
Brets, Chaos and the new Dwarfs are all tough opponents for the new Wood Elves. I'm not sure what kind of environment you play in, or what kind of player you are, but keep in mind that the power units that have a price favorable to the Wood Elf player, are Dryads and Wild Riders. The rest of the stuff in the book is either 'allright' (for example Wardancers) or absurdly overpriced (for example WE Scouts).

I'd take atleast 4 units of Dryads, a Treeman, and two units of Wild Riders as the 'core' of the army, if I wanted to have atleast a 50% win rate against competitive opponents in a tournament environment.

SuperBeast
25-12-2005, 11:43
As a WE player, I'd definitely recommend them; there's just something about watching your army swirl around a battlefield that's oddly satisfying.

Just don't rely on any frontal charges...

I just run my army on the 3 S's. :D

Stay out of sight
Stay moving
Slap 'em

Bingo the Fun Monkey
25-12-2005, 17:51
hehe, i see...
i'm actually a very competitive player and despite the fact that i play orcs, every move and how every unit is angled etc is premeditated to allow for counter charges (this is a result of playing against brets for so damn long and getting sick of night goblins period...who needs 'em anyway?). With wood elves, I feel I won't be bound by the restrictions of a ranked unit and I'll basically have to learn from the ground up (instead of channelling the enemy, i now get to choose my fights for once!). I've considered a forest spirit army for a while too: but i'm thinking i'll take a unit or two of glade guard along with lots of dryads, 2 small wild rider units, 2 small treekin units and a treeman lord...or something. Are waywatchers worth it or am i just gunna buy them cuz they look really cool?

T10
25-12-2005, 18:09
Should I play Asrai?

Sure, but only if you like to win.

Be warned though: unlike Lizardmen, playing with Wood Elves you risk losing if you play like a blind *****.

-T10

Gorbad Ironclaw
25-12-2005, 20:15
Sure, but only if you like to win.

Be warned though: unlike Lizardmen, playing with Wood Elves you risk losing if you play like a blind *****.

-T10

Nah, only if you play like a drunk blind ***** ;)

Bingo the Fun Monkey
26-12-2005, 02:26
why is this? is it because it's so easy to avoid combat or to choose which ones you fight? do you guys have trouble against wood elves? with crappy magic (esp on the defense unless you take forest spirits with those dispell spites), a lack of ranks and not that many high S attacks, I don't see how it's so hard to lose. I think the wood elves just make the game difficult for both sides...which is fine. I like to win but I don't play to win, I need a challenge (besides HE infantry).
EDIT: actually I think I'll just stick with what's green and expand on all the contingents of my army (goblin merchant caravan for my common gobbos and war machines, night goblin tribe and shroom dealer, Morgit's own lads, Imbad's Deffpigz, etc...not to mention a "zoo" with captured oomanz, skinnies, stunties, ratsies, horses, a griffon?).

Gorbad Ironclaw
26-12-2005, 16:43
Super mobility, the two best combat skirmishers in the game, really deadly fast cavalry, rock hard treemans, some potential nasty heroes, some rather deadly, mobile shooting, shooting, you can almost dictate where and how the game is going to go.

The new wood elves isn't as annoying as the old list, but it's at least as powerful, and in the hands of a good general extremly good. It's certainly one of the new power armies, but it is less forgiven than many of the others.

Aekold
26-12-2005, 19:14
Hmm strange. I dont really find them so powery! ^^
Well im new to playing them. But i aint blind or a *****. ;P

I think the new woodie list is really balanced. And yes ppl always moan and whine about the " New kid on the block" and think of them as utter powerful-destroying-super-power army! i think when the dwarfs are out. Ppl will whine about how good they are and so on.

No offence!

T10
27-12-2005, 12:02
People whine about this "new kid on the block" for a reason.

Quite frankly, GW has done a good job keeping the various armies somewhat in line. But on this one they dropped the ball.

-T10

Bingo the Fun Monkey
27-12-2005, 17:18
the enemy only dictates how the battle goes if you allow him to do it. fighting asrai just requires a different strategy and way of approaching the game. some armies can easily out shoot them...us greenskins can just flood the table with units such that it'd be inevitable that we can trap them. Wood elves have nothing in the way of magic defense...I can only imagine what Gork's Warpath would do to them, or plague, etc. Now i could be wrong, maybe they're really that powerful...i don't know. Your opponent could be really good, my opponents could be retards, who knows.