PDA

View Full Version : WoC Baiting and Screening

Griffery
19-05-2009, 01:10
I seem to be having problems both baiting and screening my Chaos Knights and Warriors. I play against my friend who plays Vamps. He always uses Blood Knights. I am having problems bating them out because I have no flying units. The fastest and best are the warhounds but I cant seem to get them there before they die. Any help?

Ultimo ninja
19-05-2009, 03:22
exalted on disc with roar

Drachen_Jager
19-05-2009, 03:36
Use more warhounds... They're so cheap you can field a half dozen units easily in a 2k game. I normally field 7 units and rarely have a game where they don't earn their points back plus some.

Unuhexium
19-05-2009, 04:21
how big would the optimal screen be? 5 puppies?

MarcoPollo
19-05-2009, 04:31
At 2K I use a 3 screens of 5 warhounds each. They are more problematic against VC as they have to take fear tests too. So a spawn or two would also help in helping screening a baiting. Warhounds are meant to die. So if they are getting shot up in magic then fine. But you need to have something that can really threaten his knights. This means dragon ogres or a slaanesh giant. He will tend to avoid these threats. So if he is sitting back and zapping your dogs to clear his way to your lines, then these other things are needed to force is blood knights into a charge.

Use two sets of 5 dogs one behind the other lined up opposite of blood knights. If the first unit gets zapped, then the second is there to pick up what is left. Remember to keep them close enough to your general so that they can use his leadership. This is a key thing to remember when you are removing casualties. Remove dead dogs from the furthest dog from the general first so that your ld range stays in contact the rest of the dogs.

Also, don't forget to angle your dogs when they get in charge range of the blood knights. If he is reluctant to charge an angled dog unit, then you need to press the issue with the previously mentioned giant/DO threats.

This should crack his unit.

Witchblade
19-05-2009, 12:29
How can warhounds not bait a frenzied unit with a charge range of 14? If they die too quickly, you just need more hounds. Also, your own khornate knights (or nurgle) are capable of killing blood knights on the charge, especially if they can get a flank charge (which should be manageable with the warhound baiters).

Otherwise, gateway, buboes and plaque squall. Just make sure to finish the entire unit off quickly so it doesn't get raised.

Kerill
20-05-2009, 13:31
Blood knights also have dogs to shield them and have vanhels to get them out of some difficult situations.

Avian
20-05-2009, 13:39
I cant seem to get them there before they die.
Wait - what are they dying of? VC don't shoot very well, so what's killing your doggies?

Griffery
20-05-2009, 20:10
Well I normally dont have many hounds to start off with and he normally kills them with gaze of nagash or a vargulf or some other nasty creature. He is also a big fan of wraiths and other etheral things so I have difficulty doing much after he gets my hounds.

Von Wibble
22-05-2009, 18:49
Sounds like just getting more hounds is the solution. At least if he is using gaze of Nagash that's 2-3 less invocations per turn.

And surely he can't have blood knights, Wraith AND Varghulf at less than 3K (at this size game definately use more hounds!)

If he is fixating that much on hounds that he is using his other rare choices to take them out, then capitalise on that. Chaos Knights >>> Wraiths with all those nice magic attacks, as long as he doesn't roll a 12 for the stand and scream (like my opponent always does :( ) If he has lost such a powerful uni just to get at one unit of hounds then their job is done. And your extra units of hounds still screen your troops.

Alternative option cuold be marauder horsemen, who are faster with better ld and a shooting option. 3 times the price and an even more tempting target for magic missiles though.

You should also note that vs VC a general strategy is to kill off all support troops as fast as possible. The types of units that can't be raised to insane proportions. Dire wolves should be targeted with extreme prejudice for example.