PDA

View Full Version : Redirecting with skirmishers

stonetroll
19-05-2009, 02:33
I was wondering if it would be able to redirect enemy units using a small unit of skirmishers. My feeling said it should be possible, but RAW contradicts me (at least the part I could find on it). I have made a diagram (http://img2.imageshack.us/img2/7766/picture1nzo.png) to show what I was wondering about.

Lets take a look at this diagram and say I am the player commanding the archers and skirmishers. I see the Orcs coming at my archers and obviously don't want them to run into me. To prevent this, I put a little skirmishing unit in front of my archers and "angle" them. Now this is quite normal stuff so far, but usually it is done with fast cav instead of skirmishers.

What I was wondering about comes now:

The Orcs have declared their charge and the skirmishers want to flee. Do the Orcs run overrun according to arrow 1 or according to arrow 2?

Considering I am commandeing the archers and skirmishers, I want situation 2 to occur (where the Orcs get angle and run past my archers). However in the BRB, p.67 first paragraph states: "If the skirmishers are charged, the enemy is brought into base contact with the closest skirmisher as per a normal charge, except that the enemy is not aligned against against the skirmishing model, the skirmishers line up alongside the enemy's front."
This would mean that, instead of the skirmishers in my diagram fleeing at an angle , they would run straight away from the Orcs (as the skirmishers are lined up against the orcs when they get charged, they are no longer at an angle, but straight in front of the Orcs), through my archers, allowing the Orcs to still charge the archers because of the "Enemy in the way!" rule.

Or do the skirmishers flee at an angle because the "center" of the unit (which is offcourse hard to determine for a unit of skirmishers) is not straight in front of the Orcs?

I hope you guys understand what I mean, if not, please do say so!

Necromancy Black
19-05-2009, 02:51
The rulebooks says they must flee directly away, which means from the centre of each unit to the other (so option two)

In that situation the orcs can not declare a charge on teh archers as it's obvious they won't make it, but if this wasn't the case then they could say they are charging the archers. In which case enemy in the way might happen, meaning if the skirmishers fled they would simply keep going forward, into the archers.

Not really sure if that's how it's meant to work though.

stonetroll
19-05-2009, 03:01
Thanks for the reply, but how does one declare the direction a unit of skirmishers is fleeing then? With normal units, they turn around their center (a 180 degree turn) and then run away, but it's not that easy to decide the center of a unit of skirmishers (and thus the direction they flee in).

Mercules
19-05-2009, 03:38
While Fleeing Skirmishers hold whatever "formation" they had when they started fleeing.

If they broke from combat they are obviously formed up into ranks of some sort and flee in that formation. If they panic while in a loose formation or choose a Flee response to a Charge they hold that formation and simply move in the proper direction. Direction is determined by where the impetus for fleeing comes from in the case of panic. In the case of choosing a Flee response they as outlined in the FAQ:
http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m470856_Warhammer_FAQ_2008-02_Edition.pdf

Basically create the line from the center of the charging to the closest Skirmisher. All of the skirmishing models move X" along that line individually. What this means is they don't change that loose formation.

Say we draw a 30 Deg. Angle from the center of the Orc to your Skirmishers. You selected Flee as a response so you roll and come up with 7". You move each model 7" at that angle. In the move Chargers part your opponent has to Wheel and follow them as best he can, if he runs into anything else along the way, like your archers, he can declare a charge on them. In your diagram the Orcs will most likely miss the Archers.

PeG
19-05-2009, 03:54
A detailed explanation with figures can be found here

http://www.remanlegions.com/

Under tactics and detachments

jaxom
19-05-2009, 15:29
In that situation the orcs can not declare a charge on teh archers as it's obvious they won't make it, but if this wasn't the case then they could say they are charging the archers. In which case enemy in the way might happen, meaning if the skirmishers fled they would simply keep going forward, into the archers.

Mercules has quoted the FAQ which covers where your skirmishers go when they flee. The charging unit must wheel and follow which should save the archers.

If the Orcs declared a charge on the archers initially then you do nothing with the Skirmishers as the Orcs cannot contact them (or move within 1" of them) on the charge, right? This means that perhaps they can wheel and still clip the archers, forcing combat, but if they actually declare their charge on the Archers instead of the skirmishers in that situation then the skirms take no action regardless, right?

Necromancy Black
19-05-2009, 22:31
When charging you are allowed to move with 1" of any enemy unit.