PDA

View Full Version : 6th vs 7th

Hansemann
20-05-2009, 16:49
Hey I haven't tried the new edition yet, but what are the main changes in the new rulebook? By looking over it quickly I can't see any major changes at all.

So what's new then?

danny-d-b
20-05-2009, 16:57
the biggist chage in my view is the fact now that any you kill in combat can't attack back (e.g in a 5 wide unit if you kill 3 only 2 can attack back) other than that its only minor chager (lores of magic changing, not able to share power dice are mid range changers I'd say)

Gazak Blacktoof
20-05-2009, 17:12
the biggist chage in my view is the fact now that any you kill in combat can't attack back (e.g in a 5 wide unit if you kill 3 only 2 can attack back)

It was like that in 4th, 5th and 6th too.

Major changes

+ No sharing of dice between wizards

+ Charge Redirection - enemy in the way means you can only charge units along the line of a fleeing unit rather than as units are exposed which allowed you to charge in a completely new direction

+March Blocking of all units except fliers- Run has been removed for skirmishers and characters

+ 5 Wide instead of 4 wide to gain rank bonus

+ Regeneration- fire is no longer as big a pain as it was before and the way in which they are taken has changed

+ Skirmishers now align to the charging unit instead of the other way around, this allows for a tactical wheel so you can approach them from any direction and overrun or pursue int he direction you want

+ Combats are now fought in an order determined by the player who's turn it is rather than simultaneously

+ Units can fight in two combats if they run into one that has yet to be fought during the current close combat phase

I'm sure there are plenty of other things but those are what I could think of immediately.

Hope that helps.

Putty
20-05-2009, 17:18
the wrap around rule is removed also.

however, the exclusion of this rules causes some abnormalities in combat situations when 4 - 5 units are in combat with each other at the same time.

Milgram
20-05-2009, 17:45
+ Charge Redirection - enemy in the way means you can only charge units along the line of a fleeing unit rather than as units are exposed which allowed you to charge in a completely new direction

the possibility of charging in a completely new direction is now there more than ever before. you can now - under certain circumstances - charge a unit, that you have no LOS at the beginning of your charge move.

the rule in 6th was that you only can redirect into a unit that you were not able to charge before (because the original charge target was blocking the way or the LOS), now you can charge a unit that is in the flight path of the fleeing enemy - and then again in the flight path of the second fleeing enemy and so on.

Gazak Blacktoof
20-05-2009, 18:09
In my experience the direction of your two charges really wont change too much.

Anyway, the point was there was a change.

Mercules
20-05-2009, 19:10
Changes... Well, the book changed. Read it all and ignore everything in the 6th Edition book. Don't assume you know anything and look for changes, just read 7th Edition and forget 6th. Some of the players that have the hardest time learning the rules are those that can't get previous version rules out of their mind. :)

Drachen_Jager
20-05-2009, 19:34
Great Weapons now only give a +1 bonus to mounted troops.

Frenzy gives +1 attack to the mount and the rider in mounted troops.

Somebody should compile a list of the changes, it'd be easier than combing the whole book just to see what's changed. I thought I'd given it a good once-over but now I see I missed some things.

Hansemann
20-05-2009, 20:21
Changes... Well, the book changed. Read it all and ignore everything in the 6th Edition book. Don't assume you know anything and look for changes, just read 7th Edition and forget 6th. Some of the players that have the hardest time learning the rules are those that can't get previous version rules out of their mind. :)

Good point, but I'm lazy guy I guess. :p
Keep it coming btw, thanks for replies.

Da GoBBo
20-05-2009, 20:28
These were just major changes and some minors. There's a lot more not mentioned so I agree with Mercules. Just play a couple of games and look all up, even things as panic and immune to psychology, which have also changed I think.

stripsteak
20-05-2009, 23:37

yes please please read the book. one of the people i play against hadn't played since 5th i think and he keeps thinking in those terms. you have no idea how often our group have been through 'you can't do that' 'well they used to' pauses. they aren't really problems but they really cause the game to slow down and get tiring after the 3rd time, let alone the 30th.

but i digress, and the change from 6th to 7th should be smaller then 5th to 7th. But it would still behoove you to read the entire 7th ed book.

Da GoBBo
21-05-2009, 07:21
Another change. You can't flee around features anymore so you have to be extra carefull while manouvering

Chicago Slim
21-05-2009, 14:43
The flee and pursuit rules are more streamlined now: You always flee directly away from your largest US opponent (perpendicular to the battleline), and if you flee into enemy of US5 or more, or impassible terrain, you simply die.

Anyway, the best thing to do, I agree, is to forget everything you ever knew about 6th ed, and read the 7th ed book from scratch. There are a number of pretty subtle changes, and every time I go to a tourney, I find people who still are playing things the 6th ed way... Last time I played in a tourney, I had to explain Enemy in the Way to someone-- his response was "That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard. It can't possibly be right." I then quoted the rulebook to him, at which point he allowed that I was right about the rule-- but he still thought it was stupid.

*shrug* I guess what I'm saying is, you're liable to enjoy the game more if you don't try to go from 6th-ed thinking to 7th-ed thinking, but instead take 7th ed from first principles, at which point it really does make a lot of sense.

Loq-Gor
22-05-2009, 08:37
What exactly did he think was so stupid about "Enemy in the way"?

Atrahasis
22-05-2009, 08:59
It was mid-game. My immediate (cynical) assumption would be that he didn't like it because it surprised him, and things didn't work out as he expected them to.

Gazak Blacktoof
22-05-2009, 09:21
Aye, a tournament isn't the best place to find out you don't know the rules for the most important phase of the game.

Lord Malorne
22-05-2009, 09:25
No skirmisher marching in 8inc of an enemy.

(haha take that skinks!)