PDA

View Full Version : Charging more than 6+2" for infantry

jedimasterwiggy
21-05-2009, 22:40
Hi all,

Interesting situation came up in last game where we had infantry units 10" away from each other, 4 morannon with tainted for me, 5 minas tirith with aragorn for opponent. He went to make a charge...roled a 6 then added 2 might points to increase the dice roll to an '8'.
Seemed odd but keeping in character of the game or heroes allowing for those extra special abilities but afterwards I wanted to check that this was ok as I don't have rule book to hand.

Cheers

Wiggy

Erethor
21-05-2009, 23:56
pg 65 says...yes.

SJBenoist
22-05-2009, 00:20
Really?
I thought you could not increase any die above a "6"?

I must be getting senile in my old age. :)

Quannum
22-05-2009, 02:01
Yeah you can.

Most 'Might Adjustments' will only allow you to take the dice roll to a maximum of 6, but in certain specified cases, such as charge distances, you can modify it to whatever, providing you have the appropriate reserves left.

Who'da thunk it?

Q

SJBenoist
22-05-2009, 02:26
Awesome.

Seems a little counter-intuitive though. (Limit the Duel rolls, don't limit the charge rolls.)

Now I have questions ...

1. I assume a player can announce a charge against anyone within reach by spending might, rather than just in reach by the traditional method?

2. Does raising your charge to six or beyond constitute an earth-shaking charge?

Thanks,
SJ

Emissary
22-05-2009, 02:51
Might can only raise dice rolls to a maximum of a 6 or lower them to a minimum of 1 except in the cases of charge distances and roll on tables per the might rules on page 65. On tables or charge distances you can take your dice roll to a 7 or more if you wish and have the might to do so.

1. I assume a player can announce a charge against anyone within reach by spending might, rather than just in reach by the traditional method?
You still have to roll, but if you roll that 1, you can spend a might to bump it up to a 2 and still charge your 2+whatever type you are modifier. A roll of a 1 fails, not the roll of a natural 1.

2. Does raising your charge to six or beyond constitute an earth-shaking charge?
If you are referring to the unstoppable charge, then yes. If you roll a 5 and spend the might you get that 6 and the unstoppable charge bonus. The earth shattering charge for cavalry is rolled separately after the fight is resolved. But you can spend might at that time to bump it up to a 6 as well if you have enough might to get it there.

The only times I can remember off my head where you need a natural 6 is on the extremely and ridiculously hard to kill tables to be able to roll an additional free time.

SJBenoist
22-05-2009, 03:39
Thanks.

For the first question, I was thinking of a infantry unit with 2 Might ... could they declare a charge attempt against an opponent 10" away?

(As they would need to count potential might expenditure to make the call legal).

I'm guessing the answer is yes (I won't have my rulebook until Tuesday).

Emissary
22-05-2009, 08:25
You can declare a charge as long as the enemy is within your maximum charge distance including bonuses for the spearhead you declare. If you don't get enough of a charge distance to get your spearhead into base contact, the charge merely stalls.

edited for to adjust for my post below

xxRavenxx
22-05-2009, 08:48
I dont have my book on hand, but I recall reading a contradictory rule stating you can only attempt a charge if they are within your D6+x range.

I'll try and find a page reference when im down the shop later today.

I remember thinking it seemed daft that you can up a dice over a 6 but are prohibited from declaring the charge in the first place. But maybe I misread it. I'll go investigate.

Emissary
22-05-2009, 11:36
It says

a spearhead may only charge an enemy that is within its maximum charge distance - ie the best result a formation can hope for when rolling its charge (including bonuses). Infantry have a charge value of D6+2", so the maximum charge result they can manage is normally 8". p 43

I got that bit wrong from earlier, but it does look like if you can spend might, you can include it in your maximum charge distance.

ismar
22-05-2009, 11:36
It's on page 43, under 4) Roll Charge Distance.

You may only charge an enemy unit within your maximum charge distance, including bonuses.

[EDIT]Looks like someone was quicker :)

Thanks,
Don

SJBenoist
23-05-2009, 22:00
Hmm, so does this mean units must spend might if possible to fulfill the conditions of a failed courage test during an Epic Challenge?

Must they at least attempt to charge, if possible, a unit beyond their normal charge range under those circumstances?

Emissary
23-05-2009, 23:38
Well, the unit that was challenged and failed the courage test may not move except to charge the unit that challenged them, but the rules doesn't say anything about that unit having to charge. The rules only say that they may still charge, provided they charge they challenging hero's formation.

The hero that challenged must attempt to charge the formation he challenged and he must spend might if necessary to make it there:

Similarly, the hero that calls the epic challenge must move towards and attempt to charge the challenged hero's formation this turn, including spending might or using re-rolls if needed

Jorgen_CAB
26-05-2009, 10:47
The only times I can remember off my head where you need a natural 6 is on the extremely and ridiculously hard to kill tables to be able to roll an additional free time.

We consider the change of the dice roll with Might to be equal to a natural six. I also think it is intended to be that way in the rules as well. It is only the wound marker that don't count for re-rolling the dice on the ridiculously hard to kill table.

But that is of course up to interpretation either way...

Emissary
26-05-2009, 11:32
Yup, that makes sense too.

Nedorus
28-05-2009, 21:27
What exactly constitutes a "Bonus" for the charge distance? Is the +1 MV that you get from a musician a bonus that you can include?

Nedorus

Emissary
29-05-2009, 01:30
No, musicians have no effect on the charge distance. Your movement has nothing to do with your charge distance. Infantry with a musician charge D6+2" just like infantry without the musician.

Nedorus
29-05-2009, 16:43
thanks, so the only "bonus" is the extra from the hero?

Nedorus

Emissary
29-05-2009, 18:19
Pretty much, unless you consider spell effects (wings of darkness) or special abilities (like ugluk's unit) as bonuses.