PDA

View Full Version : Savage Orc Boyz

clearasil
22-05-2009, 04:05
I want to know how you guys use these, or how you would use these lads. I think they're little too expensive for an orc to be deployed en masse. I thought about 10 of them with additional choppas and use them as a 'detachment' for my bigger unit of boyz. Ofcourse with frenzy you need to be alot more careful.

Rank&Foul
22-05-2009, 04:16
Hopeless against top tier armies.

Avian
22-05-2009, 06:02
Multiple units of 10 with additional choppas and full command is surprisingly nasty and quite cheap.

Harwammer
22-05-2009, 09:44
10 savage orc big uns with extra choppa to function as ghetto black orcs. Regular savage orcs with spears if you are on the cheap and str isn't so important.

They're also a good place to put a goblin wolf big boss; he will be ITP on the charge, which helps him on his little missions.

selone
22-05-2009, 10:51
How are svage orcs hopeless against top tier armies? Demons are one of the armies I'd most want savage orcs.

Nuada
22-05-2009, 11:02
I use savage orcs with add. choppas in blocks of 24 (6 wide), 10 points each, 270 for the unit with cmd. I prefer to have the rank bonus. I've personally found them good against bloodletters, which are 12 points each

Storak
22-05-2009, 11:15
How are svage orcs hopeless against top tier armies? Demons are one of the armies I'd most want savage orcs.

a problem against daemons is, that the savage orcs are ItP. (and most likely that is the reason why you took the unit in the beginning...)

a unit of 10 or 12 savages will be a weak point in the battle line, and a prime target for charges.

to avoid this, they need real cover and clever placement. while freny allows them to be easily pulled out of position.

i found small units to be useful, when placed at the back, along my artillery. they seriously threaten war machine hunters and can be brought into the main battle later.

Shiodome
22-05-2009, 12:58
haha, does any army ever made have more disposable screening options than O&Gs? unlikely.

Chadjabdoul
22-05-2009, 13:05
They're my favourite unit, so I go a bit over the top with them.
I use them in a unit of 20, with shields n choppas, and a svg orc shaman lord with war paint whose main purpose is to cast bash'em ladz on 1 dice as often as possible.

That's a lot of points, so i shouldn't reccommend it, but i like both my svgs and their shaman. Admittedly, they worked better in 4th-5th edition

Harwammer
22-05-2009, 15:15
They're my favourite unit, so I go a bit over the top with them.
I use them in a unit of 20, with shields n choppas, and a svg orc shaman lord with war paint whose main purpose is to cast bash'em ladz on 1 dice as often as possible.

That's a lot of points, so i shouldn't reccommend it, but i like both my svgs and their shaman. Admittedly, they worked better in 4th-5th edition

He can't cast the same spell multiple times in the same turn; only necromancy spells can be recast by the same wizard in the same turn.

I think Storak's suggestion of using savage orcs as a rear guard is pretty good, they'll be harder to bait and won't need to worry about losing combat if they are used in a mop up role.

Savage orcs are decent against daemons; its hard (though not impossible) for daemons to exploit frenzy; they can't afford many sacrificial units and none of their units can flee. But as Storak says, it is something you need to stay aware of.

Malorian
22-05-2009, 15:32
I like taking a big unit (24 or 25) deployed 6 wide with spears.

These guys can pump out a ton of attacks which are great against vampires and against HE or deamons where they are going to kill off your front rank and you still want to get attacks in.

The unit is on the expensive side but overall they have done very well for me, their shining moment being when they took on a fully ranked unit of sword masters all by them self.

I've never tried it but 10 with extra choppa (I wouldn't bother with command) is only 100 points, which is fairly cheap for a flanking force when you keep in mind how many attacks it will be pumping out.

branabus
22-05-2009, 15:53
I once designed an army of savage orcs. Their advantages are their ward save (orcs don't have very good armour, so they usually won't have a save- but you can't take away my ward save!), they're massively awesome in close combat (3 S4 basic attacks with 2 choppas, so with a champion and the usual 5 units in the front rank, that's 16 attacks, and if they're Big 'Uns your opponent ought to be worried)
They're slightly more expensive, but when you look at the advantages of even a basic Savage Orc over the less expensive Orc Boy, it sort of fades away...
They're also less, or at least expensive to upgrade when compared to Orc Boyz. It costs them 2 points to have shields and spears, whereas for Boyz it costs 3.

But enough of the advantages. If you don't want to field an enire army of them (boo!) I would use them to guard flanks, probably. There's not much that can get past 20 of them with 2 choppas! (230 points with full command, but it's a flank safe!) In bigger games, put a savage orc hero in with them, and simply CHAARGE!

Malorian
22-05-2009, 16:04
The problem with 2 choppas is that you NEED the charge.

Sure if you charge you'll have 16 attacks, but if you get charged then you only have a 6+ ward to protect you and any losses really brings down your number of attacks (if you get any at all). Then in following combats you lose the strength bonus and at init 2 you are once again going to lose those models before they get to attack.

Giving a unit of savages spears means that even if you lose models you will still get attacks back, and even though on the first round the choppas get 1 better strength you get more attacks with the spears (basically 4 per model rather than 3). And of course if the spears are charging a unit they plan on breaking the first turn they could always use their choppas anyway.

Then for the icing on the cake spears are also cheaper than going double choppa.

So if you are taking a big unit I would seriously take this to heart (and run some simulations on Avian's calculation tool).

If you are taking them like Storak says (kept back to guard war machines) I still think spears would be better (it's not like you are deploying them in a single rank 10 wide) to ward off things like fast cav, although 2 choppas would be best for small flanking forces.

*This has been a message from the Association of Savage orcs Should Have Spears Foundation.*

branabus
22-05-2009, 16:10
Avain's calculator? Is it free?
But that's a good point. Spears'll get you more attacks, only disadvantage is the strength...

selone
22-05-2009, 16:23
It is free and it's avian's signature :)

Malorian
22-05-2009, 16:24
Yup.

http://www.avianon.net/calculations/savageorcs.php

I was playing around with it when I was trying to decide the best way to deal with flesh hounds and was surprised to see how well the spears did when they didn't get the charge and in future rounds.

Against VC horde or deamons it's just an obvious winner as you know it will be a drawn out battle.

It is free and it's avian's signature :)

There are several and a multi-use one, but the link above is a purely savage orc one.

branabus
22-05-2009, 16:33
Ok, thanks! I've been looking for a calculator for a while, now I can virtually playtest my armies, albeit a little slowly...

fubukii
22-05-2009, 17:39
a buddy of mine runs a savage orc heavy army list. He includes alot of wolf cav, some snotlings and a ton of 12 man savage orc units with boss, and musician (msu style) it actually works pretty good.

skuller
22-05-2009, 18:05
normally I run em in 3 groups of 20-25 with additional choppa and full command and some spider riders as screeners i try to avoid the big uns on foot since for 14 points you really dont get that much
My savage orc boar boys that are ultra expensive normally have the warboss and a banner of butchery for maximum carnage and try to keep the unit under 10 and so far the top tier armys my only problem will be regen and now that the amulet of zorga is useless against greater deamons the keeper of secrets
other than that even against ASF units as long as 2-3 plus the warboss are standing using the banner of butchering you can see entire ranks dissapear.