PDA

View Full Version : william king

ToXiK
22-05-2009, 07:39
ive just finished reading the space wolves books loved the ones by king te other two were a let down really just a few questions

1 is this considered fluff for Ragnar

2 has it the fluff been changed since the books release

3 did/has William king written any more 40k books

4 why did they let the 2 Americans finish of the series

5 did you enjoy them which is your favorite one

Inquisitor S.
22-05-2009, 08:26
1.) As said by King himself they represent a parallel/ alternate universe story.

2.) Fluff changes constantly.

3.) Farseer + 4 short stories + diverse background pieces.

4.) Because William King left Black Library.

5.) Irrelevant question.

Damien 1427
22-05-2009, 08:32
4 why did they let the 2 Americans finish of the series

He left Black Library, and so the rights to both his 40k and Fantasy work fell back to Games Workshop. A few years went by, and they decided to ressurect the two main series' (Ragnar, and Gotrek & Felix) with different writers. Possibly due to fan demand.
Truth be told, the last few books William King did for both of them weren't that great. I just had an odd feeling in them he didn't really want to be doing those, and would have rather been writing something a bit different.

Tarquinn
22-05-2009, 11:56
Yeah, the Space Wolf books are among my least favourite Black Library books.

There were a couple of things that just didn't feel right. Like for example the grenade belts holding "micro-grenades".

DapperAnarchist
22-05-2009, 12:22
That Rogue Trader fluff. Frag and Krak (at the time spelled Crak) grenades were supposed to be coin sized...

Lothlanathorian
22-05-2009, 16:15
Did not know that about the RT grenades. That clears up a lot on the Space Wolf book front.

Also, I haven't read all of the Space Wolf books, but that is because the few I did were absolutely terrible. So, all you other question have been answered and that is my answer for you number five.

Horus38
25-05-2009, 04:30
He left Black Library, and so the rights to both his 40k and Fantasy work fell back to Games Workshop.

Well that explains why Farseer (which was originally marketed as a trilogy) has never seen any sequels. Always wondered about that but didn't look into the matter any further, my thanks.

Orthodox
25-05-2009, 06:23
I haven't read all of the Space Wolf books, but that is because the few I did were absolutely terrible.

william king is sooo lazy. Did he die?

DvlDog
25-05-2009, 06:41
I read the omnibus, truthfully they weren't great. I am, however, a Space Wolf fanatic and sadly I probably would have read any Space Wolf novels. I know this doesn't speak highly of myself as I represent the reason why there is a lot of less than stellar official fanfic (which is really what most of the books like Black Library are, along with the Magic the Gathering books and so on). I read those, but the only other books put out by Black Library are select Horus Heresy books, these first three or four I really enjoyed and some others were not bad.
Sad thing is, I'm a rather well read fella hold literature in high esteem. Just one of my guilty pleasures I guess.
As for your questions the fluff does change constantly, though sometimes they change more in line with whatever is new. Superman, for instance was changed to be more in line with Smallville. Wasn't there a rumour about Ranek being his mentor instead of Ulrik in the new codex....?

narrativium
25-05-2009, 08:35
Terry Pratchett writes official Discworld fanfic. (If it's official, how can it be fanfic?)

Inquisitor S.
25-05-2009, 08:59
Terry Pratchett writes official Discworld fanfic. (If it's official, how can it be fanfic?)

What? Where did Pratchett come in now?

narrativium
25-05-2009, 13:46
Sorry. I reacted a tad over-sensitively to Dvldog's comment that the BL books and MtG books are "only" official fanfic, which seemed disparaging to me, and stupidly snapped off a response about another author who writes stories set in a well known other world... official books, of which he'd be a fan... but not analogous. I haven't read any of the MtG books but the BL books are, indeed, stories written by fans, solicited, commissioned and published by the owners of the universe, and good for them, because it'd be a poor show if the writers weren't fans...

LexxBomb
25-05-2009, 14:08
I had heard that Williams diparture from Black Library was not going to be a permenat thing... suposedly it was so that he could work on his own things for a while... Hopefully with enough of a fanbase calling for him to return he will... I really want a sequal to Farseer... I just loved that book - its the best Eldar book I have read yet.

Inquisitor S.
25-05-2009, 14:16
I had heard that Williams diparture from Black Library was not going to be a permenat thing...

I had the impression from the BL forums it was rather permanently actually (though on his own website it's defined as a "break", so who knows)...

LexxBomb
25-05-2009, 14:35
well I dont think he was fired... more he needed a change

Inquisitor S.
25-05-2009, 15:12
No, fired definitely not. You don't fire one of your best-selling authors^^ More along the lines that he left because he was not satisfied. But all just speculation, so let's forget that ;)

Lexington
25-05-2009, 16:54
King's made it pretty clear that he was dissatisfied with the schedule and page limit demands of the Black Library. Anyone who wants solid proof of this should read some of his later Gotrek & Felix books. ;)

Who knows, though. With the BL's new, more relaxed attitude towards page counts, King may well be lured back.