PDA

View Full Version : Best Set of Rules for 500pts and Less Games?

Lamont Cranston
22-05-2009, 23:38
Hello,

I was just wondering what you guys/gals thought were the best set of rules for 40k on a small scale, 400-500pts or less, are?

Thanks,

SharpSilver
22-05-2009, 23:44
Combat Patrol is always a fun little rule-set, probably the best.

Dangersaurus
23-05-2009, 00:05
For playing small skirmish games? A mixture of 2nd edition, Necromunda and a GM.

Shrapnel
23-05-2009, 03:05
Combat Patrol is always a fun little rule-set, probably the best.
+1
streamlined, and easy to find in a 4th ed rule book

Nakor
23-05-2009, 03:16
we just play to the death (i.e. no turn limit, keep going until only 1 player remains), only restriction is that you have to have your HQ and Troop choice, other then that anything goes.

MrBims
23-05-2009, 04:06
For playing small skirmish games? A mixture of 2nd edition, Necromunda and a GM.

What a great and descriptive answer.

I've found that it's best to have some restrictions similar to 40k in a Flash; one HQ and one Troops choice mandatory, no more than one HQ allowed. No model may have a 2+ save or more than 3 wounds. Vehicles may not have a combined armor total of more than 33. No unit may have more than 50 points worth of optional wargear. This pretty much stops an opponent from bringing units that simply can't be dealt with at the 500 point level, like a Daemon Prince, or a Leman Russ Battle Tank. Keeps things fair and fun for every one.

AtnaShadow
23-05-2009, 04:18
If I remember right that's essentially the combat patrol rules, except no HQ is mandatory (given many armies can't field HQ choices with less than 3 wounds, for instance)

Overall I agree, this is the best way to run a game of less than 500 points.

Caprosmaster
23-05-2009, 04:24
What a great and descriptive answer.

I've found that it's best to have some restrictions similar to 40k in a Flash; one HQ and one Troops choice mandatory, no more than one HQ allowed. No model may have a 2+ save or more than 3 wounds. Vehicles may not have a combined armor total of more than 33. No unit may have more than 50 points worth of optional wargear. This pretty much stops an opponent from bringing units that simply can't be dealt with at the 500 point level, like a Daemon Prince, or a Leman Russ Battle Tank. Keeps things fair and fun for every one.

yup thats the evrsion i use too, or will soon

Khornate Fireball (Ork)
23-05-2009, 06:38
Combat Patrol is great. I've played a couple games of it versus Fish'ead, and they've been very enjoyable. I love the cool play styles that emerge at such low points values, for example, a Guard army with a few Chimerae feels like an Armored Company, whereas an Ork patrol with a Loota mob is a super-powerful gunline, or, more often, hybrid, with Lootaz as dakka and an assault unit fer da choppy.

Petay1985
23-05-2009, 10:29
combat patrol is the simple answer. And i think perhapse one of the most enjoyable quick paced games.

combat patrol works with 500pts too, 1HQ 1 Troops then anything you like.