PDA

View Full Version : 2000pts Chaos List

khib yusa
24-05-2009, 08:07
Greetings,

I have bought a Chaos Warmaster army (mainly because it was the cheapest with a high points to pounds ratio). What do you think of the list that I will be using?

Warriors x 3
Marauders x 2
Knights x 4
Dragon Ogres x 1
General x 1
Hero x 2
Wizard x 1

This little lot comes in at 1995pts.

Do you think it will do any good at first glance?

Regards,

Khib Yusa

azraelezekiel
24-05-2009, 11:13
Looks fine to me
Maybe too many heroes/wizards for the amount of troops and you have a low break but that is the 'fun' of a heavy hitting chaos force.

Pugwash
25-05-2009, 07:27
Do you think it will do any good at first glance?

Hey mate,

Depends what you're up against. Running a force with a break of 5 means you really need to make sure that your opponent doesn't wipe out your units - and so you need to be very careful about enemy units lapping around to auto-destroy your (superior) fighitng troops. Vs horde armies you will need to pick the fights, and ensure you're the charging enemy and try and stay outside the initiative counter-charge reach. Vs Tomb Kings (and I imagine VC) the ability to raise units behind your engaged troops means that you might like to think about a dispel scroll.

In short, keep those marauders in cover, make sure that your knights/dragon ogres are doing the bulk of the fighting; try and prevent the enemy from wiping out units by retreating single stand survivors where possible, and consider dropping some of the characters in order to tool up your units (if its an elite force, why not go the whole way and drop the heroes in order to get swords or the shielding items and really hit hard). In reality you should use your general for virtually every order anyway as the force is too small to spread wide.

I'd be interested in hearing how it goes, as the idea of a really heavy hitting chaos force seems nice. FWIW I've found that I am now winning much more with chaos by taking the biggest force I can and just out-fighting my enemy a majority of the time.

khib yusa
25-05-2009, 23:47
Greetings,

Unfortunately my opponent here will be playing Khemri, so the sheer number of units is going to hurt.

Thanks for the ideas about the tactics though.

What would be your tournament 2000pts forces? Not allowed to tailor it to a specific army etc...

Regards,

Khib Yusa

Pugwash
27-05-2009, 11:52
Unfortunately my opponent here will be playing Khemri, so the sheer number of units is going to hurt.

Ouch, that spell that prevents charging is really going to hurt against such a small army - and as you point out you'll probably need to kill units 3:1 in order to have a chance at breaking his army!

What would be your tournament 2000pts forces? Not allowed to tailor it to a specific army etc...

Well, I've never played in a warmaster tournament, although I'd dearly love to one day. I've also always been constrained by the troops I own as I don't plan on expanding my chaos force too much - but if I had the option;

4 Marauders
2 Chaos Warriors
2 Ogres
4 Chaos Hounds
2 Chaos Knights
4 Chaos Chariots
1 Hero with Sword of Fate
1 Wizard with Dispel Scroll
1 General with Orb of Majesty

So a smallish force with a break of 9. Keep the hounds out of the fighting entirely, send the 2 infantry brigades ahead, using cover where possible. They are hard enough to be daunting and hopefully they'll draw charges and not get wiped out entirely then you smash your opponent with the chariots and knights on the counter charge. I haven't played against every army, but chaos troops seem hard enough to out-fight almost anyone toe-to-toe.

Other options: Swap in harpies instead of marauders to wipe out war machines, or get auto kills by dropping behind enemies; or drop the hero and a hounds to add a dragon mount for the wizard to get the big terror boost to the important fights.

wmchaos2000
28-05-2009, 13:16
Pugwash army looks fine, but I would never leave home without the Harpies.
They are the only pure threat you have to oppose the enemys heavy artillery/shooters. Those "Save:-1" or "NoSave" shots are devastating to a force made for close combat.

To complement, you should put all your waste-units (hounds,marauders=cannon-fodder) closest to the enemy line to take up all their shooting. (meaning: just 1-2cm before the rest of their brigades)

A very though and hard hitting brigade is Marauder Warrior Ogre. Last we played, after shooting was done in turn 2-4, 2 stands of Warriors remained and they wiped out 1,5 skeleton brigades, 6 units in total.

Saving the Knights for the toughest opponent units is a solid strategy. And supporting the Knights with 2 Hounds to take up any shooting is even better.

The Hounds can (very well, if I might say so) be used to make kamikaze charges into flanks of alomst any enemy unit/brigade. If you want to be sure, just make sure that you will get more hits in then what your opponent have attacks back at you.
( TotalNumberAttacks x ToHit x EnemysSave > TotalNumberEnemysAttacks )

A Dragon is always useful, especially when your foe has a Terror causer.

Pugwash
30-05-2009, 15:27
Pugwash army looks fine, but I would never leave home without the Harpies.

Fair enough. For a long time I only played against high elves, and the repeater bolt throwers used to shred 'em (assuming the harpies weren't already wiped out by eager dragon riders before the charge). However, I am gradually getting better at using them, and agree they are superior against the range of war machines you might face in a tournament they are more versatile than marauders.

I gave up on the hounds as anything but break point denial after being trounced even after charging reaver knights, but youre equation looks sensible.

The dragon as a terror mitigator point is a good one too - nothing worse than being flank charged by a terror causer - makes even chaos knights look mundane!