PDA

View Full Version : Knight of the Realm. 2000.

phoenixcrh
25-05-2009, 00:16
This army is to represent the events during the book "knight of the realm" by Anthony Reynolds. What do you think?

General.
Lord. (Reolus)
Bretonnian lord with the grail vow, a barded warhorse, a lance, the virtue of confidence, the sword of the lady's champion, the armour of agilulf and the gauntlet of the duel = 265.

Hero. (Baron Montcadas).
Paladin with heavy armour, a barded warhorse, the virtue of discipline, the morning star of fracasse and an enchanted shield = 144.

Hero. (Calard)
Paladin with the questing vow, heavy armour, a barded warhorse and the sword of the quest = 132.

Hero. (Bertelis).
Paladin BSB with heavy armour, a barded warhorse, the sword of might and the gromril greathelm = 124.

Hero. (Damsel Anara)
Damsel with a barded warhorse and the silver mirror = 124.

Core Units.
*8 knights of the realm with a gallant = 192. (Bertelis goes here)
*8 knights of the realm with a gallant and a standard bearer = 208. (Reolus goes here)
*8 knights of the realm with a gallant and a standard bearer = 208. (Damsel Anara goes here)

*8 knights errant with full command and the errantry banner = 201. (Baron Montcadas goes here)

Special Units.
*8 questing knights with full command = 251. (Calard goes here)

*3 pegasus knights with a gallant (laudethaire) = 165.

Grail reliquae (chlod) *6 battle pilgrims = 118.

= 2000.

stonetroll
25-05-2009, 00:44
I think it wont be very effective on the field tbh.

You have 3 DD and 1 scroll. Anything with a remote amount of magic will dominate you (heck, even my O&G would love to be magic heavy against that!)

You have no throwaway units or redirectors and are utterly liable to them yourself.

Your Grail Reliqua is utterly useless as it is too slow to be supported by the rest of your army.

You have invested WAY too many points in characters.

Sorry for being harsh, but this won't get very far.

Shamfrit
25-05-2009, 01:07
General.
Lord. (Reolus)
Bretonnian lord with the grail vow, a barded warhorse, a lance, the virtue of confidence, the sword of the lady's champion, the armour of agilulf and the gauntlet of the duel = 265.

Oookay then. I've been playing Bretonnians on the sly for a few months now, so let's have a crack at this (although I'm still very much new to the army, so take everything with the mandatory pinch of salt food sir).

First up, the Lance is useless here, as you've no choice but to use the magic weapon every phase. In all honesty, despite having a focus on challenges, and pretty much winning them with 4 re-roll hit and wound attacks, your lord is only STR6 with the lance, and STR4-6 with the sword, perhaps, and on the off chance you do ram him into something bigger, you could be STR7+. For 40 points it's too situational, a Lance on it's own would be better, as you're already re-rolling on the charge, with the re-roll to wound the Lance of Artois might be more advantageous to killing characters. Of course, doesn't work against US3+, but then again, the Virtue of Knightly Temper might work more in wider circumstance and still net you max CR. Depends on the book though, I've not read it, so go with what works best.

Lord
Barded Warhorse
Armour of Agiluf, The Lance of Artois, Gauntlet of the Duel
The Virtue of Knightly Temper/Audacity/Confidence (Your call.)
(You're looking at about 240 either way).

Hero. (Baron Montcadas).
Paladin with heavy armour, a barded warhorse, the virtue of discipline, the morning star of fracasse and an enchanted shield = 144.

As has been mentioned, you're spending too much on characters. Even though Bretonnian armies gain this advantage, the extra character, they do not always have to take it. You're left with a small army, so the points could be better spent elsewhere; if the fluff is integral to you great, but perhaps assign the name/character to one of the Knight Unit Champions?

Hero. (Calard)
Paladin with the questing vow, heavy armour,a shield, a barded warhorse and the sword of the quest = 134.

This guy is good. I'd take a shield as well, should you chose to use the Sword of the Quest as a hand weapon, then you've the choice between +1 Strength, No Armour Saves, or +1 Armour Save, No Armour Saves. Versatility is key to all armies, and it's only 2 points extra.

Hero. (Bertelis).
Paladin BSB with heavy armour, a barded warhorse, the sword of might and the gromril greathelm = 124.

Standard BSB set-up, works well enough. He's fine.

Hero. (Damsel Anara)
Damsel with a barded warhorse and the silver mirror = 124.

This is where it starts to fall apart; this is simply not enough magic, offensively or defensively, to the point where you have to decide between dropping it altogether, and going for broke, weathering the storm that's inevitably going to be thrown against you, or, adapt your list slightly to switch the redundant paladin out, and bring in a second Damsel. Drop the silver Mirror and the Barding, anything that hits the Damsel is going to wound, guaranteed. Switch the Mirror for a Scroll and the Chalice of Malfleur. This brings her up to 160, but gives you 4 dispel dice and a scroll - the bare minimum. She's also level 2 now, so you've a chance of getting a spell off.

Core Units.
*7 knights of the realm with a gallant = 172. (Bertelis goes here)
*7 knights of the realm with a gallant and a standard bearer = 198. (Reolus goes here)
*7 knights of the realm with a gallant and a standard bearer = 198. (Damsel Anara goes here)

*7 knights errant with full command and the errantry banner = 181. (Baron Montcadas goes here)

Special Units.
*7 questing knights with full command = 223. (Calard goes here)

*3 pegasus knights with a gallant (ludatheire) = 165.

The Reliquae is far too small and unsupported completely, by no men-at-arms or Bowmen. Either remove it, or spend your remaining 192 points or so on a second cheap Damsel, and a unit of bowmen, in fact, 2, failing that, Yeoman Horsemen.

Hope this helps.

Bretonnian Lord
25-05-2009, 01:30
First up, the Lance is useless here, as you've no choice but to use the magic weapon every phase.

The Bretonnian army has a special rule: characters equipped with a lance and a magic weapon use the lance on the charge, then switch to the magic weapon in subsequent turns.

@ OP:

I'm not sure if you're trying to make a field effective army or simply an army based off the characters in the novel. Can you please clarify? :)

Shamfrit
25-05-2009, 01:42
Well I certainly missed that, lucky I've only had 3 games, otherwise I'd feel REALLY stupid, lol.

phoenixcrh
25-05-2009, 11:41
Its meant to be a purely fluff army :) the equipment on the characters (if you have read the book) is in my opinion the closest thing that represents them within the rules. And the rest of the army is the closest thing I can come to in 2000 points that represents a bretonnian charge of knights. Maybe if I expanded it to 3000 with more magic defence and troops it might work?

phoenixcrh
25-05-2009, 11:58
What do you think now? (for effectiveness this time)

General.
Lord. (Reolus)
Bretonnian lord with the grail vow, a barded warhorse, the virtue of confidence, the sword of the lady's champion, the armour of agilulf and the gauntlet of the duel = 259.

Lord. (Damsel Anara)
Prophetess with a barded warhorse and four dispel scrolls = 311.

Hero. (Baron Montcadas).

Hero. (Calard)
Paladin with the questing vow, heavy armour, a shield, a barded warhorse and the sword of the quest = 134.

Hero. (Bertelis).

Core Units.
*8 knights of the realm with a gallant = 192. (Bertelis goes here)
*8 knights of the realm with a gallant and a standard bearer = 208. (Reolus goes here)
*8 knights of the realm with a gallant and a standard bearer = 208. (Damsel Anara goes here)

*8 knights errant with full command and the errantry banner = 201. (Baron Montcadas goes here)

*15 skirmishing peasent bowmen with a brazier 110.

Special Units.
*8 questing knights with full command = 251. (Calard goes here)

*3 pegasus knights with a gallant (laudethaire) = 165.

Grail reliquae (chlod) *18 battle pilgrims = 226.

2*7 mounted yeomen with two musicians = 194.

Rare Units.
*3 field trebuchets = 270.

= 2997.

grailknight
25-05-2009, 17:17
very good however unless its a fluff or theme related choice id drop the trebuchets and take a unit of 5 grail knights with twilight banner

makes a good flanking force