PDA

View Full Version : Tau army box?

athamas
26-12-2005, 10:26
will there be one?

as the tau are one army i reallly like, and i would love to see an army box for them [would be the first i have actually bought]

so any news on the subject? i know there is nothing mentioned in the release scedule.. but

Count
26-12-2005, 17:09
I think all past new armies got one the past few years. The odds are in favour of one. I would expect both an all-plastic batallion and a limited release army with codex, limited commander, all slightly pre-release.

Captain Marius
26-12-2005, 17:31
Hopefully they'll replace the kroot with a devilfish if they change the battleforce. As far as the army box goes, I predict it'll come with a limited edition ethereal.

imrhati
26-12-2005, 17:36
I hope they will make a new battle force that doesn't include those crappy kroot. (they are good but their are so many better things)

The Judge
26-12-2005, 17:46
Stealth suits possibly in the battalion? Most other battalions go for two or three units plus a tank. Devilfish may be in there...

Count
26-12-2005, 18:00
I suppose GW won't miss a chance to propagate the spiffy new plastics, so I am expecting stealth suits too.

Deaths_Head_Ink
26-12-2005, 18:04
Stealth suits possibly in the battalion? Most other battalions go for two or three units plus a tank. Devilfish may be in there...

I believe that brimstone stated they'll be one of the last releases for tau.

athamas
26-12-2005, 18:12
hmm looking at the release order, the stealth suits are not on there, so they could be early or late,

the skyray is right at the end though...

hmm does anyone know waht was in the marine army deal as we may be able to get some idea from that...

Mad Doc Grotsnik
26-12-2005, 18:14
From what I understand, there won't be an army deal, and the Battleforce is staying as is.

And Kroot rock!

Deaths_Head_Ink
26-12-2005, 18:18
If the tau codex comes out on the 13th of march, the Army box, if there is one, would be out a week or two earlier. And the Battleforce would be one of the first releases. But neither are on the release schedule posted elsewhere on this board. So the list may not be complete and we could (hopefully) see the stealth suits before may 29th (last date on list).

But, I doubt it.

Deaths_Head_Ink
26-12-2005, 18:21
From what I understand, there won't be an army deal, and the Battleforce is staying as is.

And Kroot rock!

But if they are indeed recutting the Battlesuit sprues to make them more posable, then we may see new sprues in the battleforce. But I like the contents as is.

And I must agree, kroot kick ass.

Tom
26-12-2005, 18:23
Why put the Stealth Suits in the battleforce?

They'd be available nowhere else for three months, that's why. They'd sell an absolute assload of them.

Deaths_Head_Ink
26-12-2005, 18:29
hmm does anyone know waht was in the marine army deal as we may be able to get some idea from that...

Looks like an old scout squad, scout bikers, 2 assault squads, tac squad, command squad, commander, razorback/rhino, and the LE Vet sgt.

Deaths_Head_Ink
26-12-2005, 18:36
Why put the Stealth Suits in the battleforce?

They'd be available nowhere else for three months, that's why. They'd sell an absolute assload of them.

Thats usually done with the Army boxes. And if they run out you do what I did after the tyranid army box came out. Spend more money on less models just to be able to play the tasty new Codex. That is true marketing. Why sell one box when you can sell everything.

Anyway

I hope that someone more in the know can confirm or dismiss a new battle force and army deal. I need to know how long I can procrastinate before filing my taxe return this year.

t-tauri
26-12-2005, 19:14
I think all past new armies got one the past few years. The odds are in favour of one. I would expect both an all-plastic batallion and a limited release army with codex, limited commander, all slightly pre-release.
No generally available Black Templars army deal, only a mail order bundle with no limited figure. The Dwarf army box has a slightly converted old limited Battle Standard bearer as it's limited figure. Neither make me hold out much hope for a decent army box for the Tau.

A Tau limited figure is almost certainly going to be an ethereal if there is one as most Tau special characters are in Battlesuits and a limited battlesuit or conversion kit seems unlikely.

By release order Stealths are near the end as part of Cityfight so putting them in the Battleforce box like they did with the Nid Carnifex may be a way of generating sales on Firewarrior/Devilfishes in the tau battleforce.

Negafex
26-12-2005, 19:29
id expect to see the new stealths in an army deal, mainly because the stealths arent actually due out for mainstream release untill the new cityfight from what ive heard. anyone who knows anything about supply and demand will realize how well that army box would sell.

my_name_is_tudor
26-12-2005, 19:36
The fact that there was no big BT deal is/was no surprise to me, it's a sub army, why bother making a ltd ed figure?

For Tau I expect there definitely will be one, I think personally it might be that particularly dynamically posed ehtereal we saw in those early GD pics.

Scorpio
26-12-2005, 19:55
i hope they come out with a new battleforce i like tau. But GW may not be releasing the date cause its not done yet? i dont know.
(Kroot arent that good):evilgrin:

boogle
26-12-2005, 20:31
Re the Batallion: i think there will be the following:
1 Battle Suit
20 Fire Warriors (1 Box worth plus the Devilfish Squad pack)
16 Kroot
X Gun Drones

athamas
26-12-2005, 20:36
thats worse than the one now, as it contains 3 xv8's

for the batalion
i would expect 3 xv8's possibly with the comander sprue between them..
12 fire warriors, a bunch of drones, and something else, possibly a pariah... [however its spelt]

3 battle suits would be e

my_name_is_tudor
26-12-2005, 20:40
Yeah I don't see that being the new set, especially considering the devilfish squad set is gone now (IIRC).

I don't think there will be much change, maybe they'll make one of the suits a command suit.

Kurai
26-12-2005, 20:44
I wouldn't expect new Stealth Suits in an army deal as the army deal is a prerelease of the Tau Empire Codex. The Stealth Suits are part of the City Fight 2 release and late at that. So it is a whole other release and from the looks of it 4-5 months after the Codex. The time frame between is probably too great.

boogle
26-12-2005, 22:10
thats worse than the one now, as it contains 3 xv8's

for the batalion
i would expect 3 xv8's possibly with the comander sprue between them..
12 fire warriors, a bunch of drones, and something else, possibly a pariah... [however its spelt]

3 battle suits would be e
don't forget that the amount you save is going up in some cases:
the battleforce i've stated comes out at:
Battlesuit: 12 (i'm guessing they are going up 2)
12 Fire Warriors: 18
Devilfish Squad: 25
16 Kroot: 18

that makes 73(71 if the Battlesuit stays at 10)

athamas
26-12-2005, 22:28
but with 1 battle suit the box becomes usless, as you are going to want several xv8's per devifish

i would say replace the devil fish with a pariha and and an extra crisis suit...that woiuld make more sense, maybe even replace the kroot with a 3rd suit and the comander sprue, that would be about right on money...

athamas
26-12-2005, 23:22
ok, ill add abit more to this again, back on track,

the SM army was in the order of 140 excluding limite dmarine and book

based on this i would take a guess at the following

4 crisis suits, and a comander sprue, [1 comander and a 3 strong team]
2 pariha's [based of what i can remember of them coming in units of 2-4.. might be wrong meaning 1 might be preasent but as its a new toy im sure 1 will be in the box]
2 boxes of fire warriors, making up the basic choices, [maybe 1 fire warrioe 1 kroot]
a devil fish, [to provide that armoured componant to the army, possibly sporting the new tank upgrade sprue...]
a unit of vespids, [they are also new, and i cant imagin GW not trying to include these...]

that works out aty some were in the order of 140, so what do you think the chances of that are?

boogle
26-12-2005, 23:35
but with 1 battle suit the box becomes usless, as you are going to want several xv8's per devifish

i would say replace the devil fish with a pariha and and an extra crisis suit...that woiuld make more sense, maybe even replace the kroot with a 3rd suit and the comander sprue, that would be about right on money...
no it doesn't. because it gives you:
1 HQ or Elites choice
3 Troops Choices

the SM Battleforce has
the potential for 1 HQ choice (if you use 1 of the Tac Marines and bits from the Command Squad)
2 troops Choices (possibly 3 if you minimize the Tac squads and don't make a commander)

the Tyranid Battleforce
1 HQ or Elite Choice
3 Troops Choices
1 Elite of Heavy Support Choice

The Black Templar Battleforce
Exactly the Same as the Space Marine one

these are all of the 4th Ed Battleforces and they are all Troops heavy, so i can't imagine the Tau one being anyting different, the Piranha might be in there at the expense of the Devilfish, but the Kroot will still be in there to add to the diversity

Tudor, you're right about the Squad, maybe they'll put 20 warriors and a Devilfish in there as a money saver

athamas
27-12-2005, 00:02
i understand what you are saying with choices,

what im talking about it ratios of units, a marine player might buy 2 batalion boxes as he gets a fair deal on the comand squad box, and the rest is normal price and usefull and will be repeaded in the army alot,

the nid player would buy several boxes as all the pieces are usefull and scale up well [ie if you bought 3 you could use all the bits like the marines, the comand spru has so many usefull bits]

however, for a tau player battle suits, esp. xv8's are your army, you rely on these for the killing blow, its very very very difficult to construct an army without these, by cutting down the number in the bo xyou are making it highly un atractive, your proposed box contains 3 troops choices, 1 of which after the initial purchase from this box im not going to want to use again [kroot] if you were to say buy 2 of these boxes you would have 32 kroot, 40 fire warriors, [going with 8 in devil fish box] 2 devil fish and 2 crisis suits....
thats a bucket load of troops, and only 2 things that cannot be in troops, [the suits and potentialty the devil fish as transports for path finders]

it would be STUPID... as the tau rely on their crisis suits to provide the mobile and heavy support other armies get from their special and heavy weapons... and with the apparent ruling that body gaurds migh tbe getting bigger for crisis suits, we will be seeing more of them, esp. as they will be able to take specilist equipment...

yes on options you might say that there might only be 1, but on army logistics, and sense [i know GW is lacking in this but the current box is not bad] 3 would be a far better idea, esp. if they want ppl to actually want to buy these, new and old palyers alike, its not like in marines were a razor back is a nice thing to take, you HAVE to have suits in a tau army.. without them you are basicly stuck on a mass amount of S5AP5 weaponry, that good at killing infantry, but not much else...

/rant

boogle
27-12-2005, 00:04
well we should find out in due course whats in both the army deal and battleforce

athamas
27-12-2005, 00:11
we shall indeed,

lol.. we are arguing over the something hypathetical anyway... most silly of us..

i just want them to hurry up and release it all!

boogle
27-12-2005, 00:13
it's not arguing, its civilised discussion

Rlyehable
27-12-2005, 13:03
On the possible Tau Army Box...

The original one had (AFAICR):
1x Ethereal (special model)
3x Crisis Battlesuits
6x Stealthsuits (not sure on this)
12x Firewarriors
12x Kroot
6x Pathfinders w/ Devilfish
1x Gun Drone squad (or enough to attach to other units)
1x Krootox
1x Broadside (not sure on this one).

I expect that they will:
- Remove Krootox
- Trade old Stealthsuits for Vespid
- Trade 1-2 normal Pathfinder models for Railrifle models
- Reduce Gun Drones to 8

t-tauri
27-12-2005, 14:19
On the possible Tau Army Box...

The original one had (AFAICR):
1x Ethereal (special model)
3x Crisis Battlesuits
6x Stealthsuits (not sure on this)
12x Firewarriors
12x Kroot
6x Pathfinders w/ Devilfish
1x Gun Drone squad (or enough to attach to other units)
1x Krootox
1x Broadside (not sure on this one).

IIRC no stealthsuits and two boxes of Firewarriors. There was a broadside.

burni
29-12-2005, 21:25
Believe we'll get an army deal - I've posted my thoughts about it in another thread (can't find it though...)

BUT I also believe that the battleforce won't change.

It contains key elements for both beginning and expanding an army and as none of the models contained are changing, it saves GW work. Especially when this is a 'quick release'.

With a battleforce and the addition of one commander suit you've got a credible force.

athamas
29-12-2005, 22:09
was talking to my local manager, and he said th ebattleforce would not be changing, and he doubted personally that there would be an army box, ass al ltau players have been buying up battle suits and fire warriors, thus there would actually be nothing worth buying in the army box, as you would need a load of fire warriors and crisis suits to bulk it out, and most ppl own enough of these!

Bael
12-01-2006, 19:41
The Tau army box is up for staff pre-order. Can't remember the exact details but there is a special edition ethereal, a plastic commander, and 3 new stealth suits. It was 75 I think (so 150 retail).

heretic
12-01-2006, 20:16
soomehow I don't think kroot will be in the deal, or a featured part of the revised Tau army.