PDA

View Full Version : Can War of the Ring infantry movement trays be used in Fantasy?

The Emperor
25-05-2009, 10:18
I'm talking about these things, of course.

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat1600008&prodId=prod1860245

I ask because I think it'd be neat to have a Chaos Daemons army for 40k using the round bases, then putting them on those trays for use in Fantasy (or similar homemade bases, which is the likely course as these appear to only be four ranks wide). So is that allowable (of course, one could simply use the square bases for 40k, but I don't care for square bases in 40k)?

Arodan
25-05-2009, 10:49
Why should you not use them.
I guess there won't be a problem but you should probably make indications on how a squarebase would be ranked up so that you can see how many deamons are in contact with for example a monster or a char.
You could simply make a small line every 25mm (i guess this is a deamons basesice) on the front of your base and everything would work out nicely.

Orcboy_Phil
25-05-2009, 10:52
wouldn't work I'm afraid. However with a little ingenuity you could create your own movement trays that would fill the roll.

Nightsword
25-05-2009, 10:54
I think it would be a bit off because you end up playing with the movement tray, and the models are just there to look nice. If you play WYSIWYG, your frontage will be wider than an ordinary 5X25mm if you use 5 models for each rank (because obviously, the trays only have holes for ranks of 4).

I think you'd be better off making your own, or I think having them custom made (I believe there is a service that does this), so that you can effectively get 5 bloodletters in a rank for example. The WOTR ones would be impractical I think.

The Emperor
25-05-2009, 11:03
Yeah, if they only come four ranks wide, then I guess the only real option is making my own. So does anyone else do anything similar?

Griefbringer
25-05-2009, 11:05
I think the problem with the WotR ones would be that the effective area per model would be around 30x30 mm (instead of the supposed 25x25 mm for daemons) due to the spaces between the holes.

Thus, you would probably be better of making your own movement trays.

Tae
25-05-2009, 11:26
Yeah, if they only come four ranks wide, then I guess the only real option is making my own. So does anyone else do anything similar?

Not so, the pack contains 3 trays of 4 x 2. Put two together (to make 4 x 4) and the cut the last one in half down the middle and put it sideways along the end (thus making it 5 x 4).

The only problem you'll have is that your 5 Daemon frontage will take up the space of 6 Daemons if they were on square bases, but that's hardly a huge issue.

Most tournaments and players wont have a problem with that and if they do then it's probably not worth playing them anyway.

Rubicon
25-05-2009, 14:50
Most tournaments and players wont have a problem with that and if they do then it's probably not worth playing them anyway.

Beg to differ there, Warhammer is all about base sizes. I would have a major problem with Daemons being on the wrong size bases. Greater charge arc, wider frontage for double charges etc. I'm not in a minority either, as my gaming group has already had this discussion.

Just make your own 125mm for a frontage of 5

Lecai_Lathain
25-05-2009, 16:09
Why not just put the daemons on square bases and use square bases in 40k? - it's not like they need to rank up in 40k - also for deepstriking you could always use coins that a re roughly the right size and align accordingly. Once down, I don't think it would make any difference.

W0lf
25-05-2009, 16:26
No you cant as base size is an important aspect of fantasy.

Im in the camp of 'square bases in 40K looks stupid'. Just make your own custom trays its very easy.

Tokamak
25-05-2009, 16:29
Of course you can, they're especially handy for your regiments of goblin fanatics...

Veloxnex
25-05-2009, 16:41
Custom trays are **** easy.

1) 2 thin sheets of balsa wood, or other suitable material.
2) Measure and draw out in pencil the grid size for the square bases.
3) Using a circular drill bit drill a (whatever the round base diamater is) size hole in the sheet of wood, central to each square.
4)glue the cut sheet onto the uncut sheet and voila! easy and quick trays.

Base to preference.

Nightsword
25-05-2009, 16:51
http://www.thelastalliance.com/index.php?pid=disparticle&catid=1&subid=60&artilceid=3566

or, have a look at making the models removable from their circular bases and can be switched from circle to square and back again. I suppose pins in their feet would be the best way to do this, though it could be quite annoying moving every single damn model, which is why I didn't do it. I'm also in the camp that square bases look silly in 40K, and Rubicon is quite correct. For ranked up units it is important, less so for skirmishers like fanatics, but large units of skirmisher i.e. beasts, then again, frontage is important.

EDIT: Saying that however, I've just tested my dark angels on a normal GW tray and the two ranks of 8 were very stable, more so that the 5 cavalry bases on it at the moment lol. If you got hold of the modular tray, you can make it enough room for five. For ranked units it should be ok, the inside edge of the tray is pretty much the width of a 5 x 25mm bases anyway. For cavalry and monsters though, you're better off with square bases, but you could magnatise them or pin them without too much effort

Orcboy_Phil
25-05-2009, 17:40
Another way would be just to magnatise the base and use those citadel module movement trays.

The 2 Black Dragons
25-05-2009, 19:44
Or just make it simple and get a bunch from these guy's ;)

Work a treat and will be made to fit

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQfgtpZ1QQfrppZ25QQsassZkhorneQ2a0Q2a

scolex
25-05-2009, 23:50
Personally I would love to see them switch to these movement trays for fantasy. It would help some units (cough Squig Herders) rank up, standardize bases, and let you switch units back and forth where compatible.