PDA

View Full Version : Bret lance formation

PARTYCHICORITA
25-05-2009, 12:39
Hi there

When a bret unit using the lance formation charges, can the horses of the knights attacking from other ranks than the first attack?
I always thought they did but since the book says "knight models" a friend of mine says only the knights get to attack and the mounts do not.

Atrahasis
25-05-2009, 12:50
The "knight model" is a knight on a horse.

Dark_Knight
25-05-2009, 13:00
Here is an example of all the knights (with their mounts included) that can fight in a lance that is Charging as only the front 3 knights fight when the lance is charged by an enemy unit.

Knights Charging (X-Knight that attacks, O-Knight that does not attack, H-enemy):

HHHHH
HHHHH
HHHHH
HHHHH

XXX
XOX
XOX

Knights being charged by the enemy:

HHHHH
HHHHH
HHHHH
HHHHH

XXX
OOO
OOO

Hope this helps.

PARTYCHICORITA
25-05-2009, 14:38
The "knight model" is a knight on a horse.

I would guess that as true. However the book says:

"all models in the front rank fight as normal. In addition to this, every Knight model in the flanks of the unit is allowed to fight, as long as they are directly behind a model in the front rank which is engaged in close combat to this front"

Why state "knight" if nothing else could be on the flanks of the second and third ranks?

Gazak Blacktoof
25-05-2009, 14:47
Because its a section of text discussing knights- seems like an appropriate noun to use.

theunwantedbeing
25-05-2009, 14:49

"all models in the front rank fight as normal. In addition to this, every Knight model in the flanks of the unit is allowed to fight, as long as they are directly behind a model in the front rank which is engaged in close combat to this front"

Why state "knight" if nothing else could be on the flanks of the second and third ranks?

Only knights can be in lance formation?
So things like peasants cant get into lance formation....

EvC
25-05-2009, 14:51
Indeed, you might have a Damsel in the unit on the flank for some bizarre reason (Say you decided to include two in the unit), it's just making sure you don't try and claim her attacks, which would just be teh b0rken.

plantagenet
28-05-2009, 13:14
Problem is that if you put a Damsel in a Lance now in the middle she cant see anything and therefore cant cast any spells..

EvC
28-05-2009, 13:34
Well, she can cast some but not decent ones. They're usually just scroll caddies anyway so it's no great loss.

Mercules
28-05-2009, 14:10

Because if you put a Damsel on one flank of the unit neither she, nor her mount could attack?

Milgram
28-05-2009, 15:30
Well, she can cast some but not decent ones. They're usually just scroll caddies anyway so it's no great loss.

I use up to three lvl 1 damsels on 2k. they get the first spell of life (reduce movement), and a scroll each (one gets silver mirror - great way to get 50% of a lvl 2 mage :)). also they boost my MSU with MR1 and a rank bonus...

TheDarkDaff
28-05-2009, 16:24

I would actually take TUB's response one step further and say it is a blanket Anti-Character ruling for ranks other than the first.

Nurgling Chieftain
28-05-2009, 17:54
Bretonnian fighting characters are specifically counted as knights.

jaxom
28-05-2009, 19:06
Problem is that if you put a Damsel in a Lance now in the middle she cant see anything and therefore cant cast any spells..

There are *plenty* of spells which do not require line of sight. I am not terribly familiar with their lores but I know that about half the spells I use regularly don't require line of sight...

Nurgling Chieftain
28-05-2009, 19:37
It's pretty much just Mistress of the Marsh for Damsels in lances, although Gift of Life and Howler Wind are occasionally usable. The problems with the otherwise excellent Lore of Beasts is that its default spell doesn't work on mounted models and several of its other best spells require LOS, so it isn't a popular choice for mounted Damsels in a lance as there's a reasonable chance you'll never have an opportunity to even attempt a spell.