PDA

View Full Version : 1002 pts Lizardmen vs HE

Jetty Smurf
25-05-2009, 15:43
Ok so I am having a game against one of my friends tomorrow. He plays HE and we have agreed on 1k pts. As a friendly game neither of us mind if the other is over the agreed limit by a few points so 1002 is fine (but I would prefer not to be any more than 2 pts over if I can help it). He also told me (hopefully honestly) that he will not be taking any magic.

Here is the list I plan on taking:

Heroes:

Saurus Scar-Veteran
Light Armour, Enchanted Shield, Piranha Blade

Core:

10 Skink Skirmishers

10 Skink Skirmishers

11 Skink Skirmishers

19 Saurus Warriors
Spears, Standard

19 Saurus Warriors
Spears, Standard

Special:

3 Terradon Riders

Rare:

1 Salamander Hunting Pack

Total: 1002

Any hints/tips/suggestions/critiques?

Gaargod
25-05-2009, 17:45
Why 19 saurus? I assume they're going in 3 ranks of 6 with spears for attacks.

It seems fine, but personally i'd change pirhana blade for a halberd, cold one mount and Glyph Necklace. 2+ armour save and 5+ ward save so is probably more survivable, gets +1S instead of doing double wounds (which is nice, but a bit of a waste of points imo). Also causes fear, which is helpful.

Costs 5 points more, but if you lose the 11th skink from your 3rd unit, you get to bang on 1000pts. Stick him in unit of saurus, and its all good.

Jetty Smurf
25-05-2009, 17:55
Cool thanks for your input :) I might just give that a try.

Yeah the 19 will be 6x3. I find I always lose a couple to shooting somewhere along the lines, and I would like to keep the rank bonus (2 dead, still 5 in last rank).

Would you keep the scar-vet in the saurus unit at all times? Or run him out to solo charge something? Putting him on a cold one in a unit of saurus will make that unit stupid, won't it? I hope Ld8 is enough, lol.

Those changes put the pts at 999 according to my home-made spreadsheet.

Malorian
25-05-2009, 20:57
I'd drop a saurus from each unit and a skink to put the scar vet on a coldone. The improvement of the save is amazing and it gives the option of charging out if needed.

Jetty Smurf
26-05-2009, 07:34
Why would I need to drop 2 saurus AND a skink? The saurus with spears are 12 each, making 24 spare points if i drop 2. That is plenty for the 20 point cold one upgrade :)

So would that be with my original Enchanted Shield and Piranha Blade setup? If so that would give him a 0+ AS, correct?

Thanks for the input everyone :)

Game is tonight, wish me luck, heh.

P.S I will show revised list when I get back, but maybe not a battle report. I tend to not do so well against my friend. Besides... do sub-2250 games really count? :p

Jetty Smurf
26-05-2009, 15:15
Somewhere over dinner my friend ends up telling me he decided to put magic in his list. This took me by surprise, but being a friendly game he allowed me to change my list accordingly (as long as I was quick about it).

So here was my revised list:

Heroes:

Saurus Scar-Veteran
Light Armour, Cold One, Enchanted Shield, Piranha Blade

Skink Priest
Diadem of Power, Dispel Scroll

Core:

13 Skink Skirmishers

12 Skink Skirmishers

18 Saurus Warriors
Spears, Standard

12 Saurus Warriors
Spears, Standard

Special:

3 Terradon Riders

Rare:

1 Salamander Hunting Pack

Total Points: 999

The Scar-Vet build you suggested Malorian worked quite nicely. He was my MVP by surviving against a Bear's Angered Noble mounted on a barded steed (I failed to dispel it) and took him out in 1 round of CC. The Skink Priest was basically a prettied up scroll caddy, as I hid him in a forest and just cast Portent of Far with the pool dice and keeping his 1 with the Diadem to end up with 4 dispel dice.

The game went well for the most part, and ended up pretty even, though through a couple of mistakes on my part not all my units were used to their fullest potential. The game unfortunately did end in a marginal victory for the High Elves, but there was some hope for the most part. Only a couple of lucky/unlucky rolls separated the victor from the... well... me :p But fun was had by all :)

Thanks again for the input and suggestions :)

Malorian
26-05-2009, 15:37
Too bad you lost.

Next time I wouldn't bother with the magic protection. You normally have 2DD and had to pay 115 points (11.5% of your overall) just to bring it to 4DD. Plus you can use your 2 PD (remember you still get them even with no wizards) to stop the remain in play spells like bear's anger. Had the points stayed in getting you more spears I'm sure it would have helped more.

Glad you had fun :)

Gaargod
26-05-2009, 20:09
By the way, next time if you're going to spend points on a skink priest for protection, give him lv2.

Diadem of power can only be used on the wizard's dice, not pool dice. So 35pts buys you an extra dispel dice.

150pts skink caddies are pretty damm effective at 3DD and a scroll.

slingersam
27-05-2009, 02:17
I think in that small of a game 150 points on just magic defense is to much, I think if he took chameleons or maybe another unit of teradons it could have helped out a lot more.

Jetty Smurf
27-05-2009, 12:18
I wasn't too eager to have the skink priest in my army at all, but I know my opponent enough to know that if he's going to have magic, I definitely need some magic defense. The spells he ended up with were Bear's Anger, Shield of Saphery, and Ring of Fury.

It was difficult enough for me to change my list last minute to put a magic defense priest in it but I couldn't find the points to upgrade him to level 2 to get the most out of the Diadem. Still, he did his job, hiding in the forest, preventing the majority of spells being cast.

As for not taking him at all, I did think about that after the game, but he prevented more carnage than 115 pts of anything else I could think of would have.

That being said, he didn't cause any harm so the game may have been more fatal for both sides had I taken something else instead of him, but I am happy with the way the game turned out, even with the last minute changes to the list causing me to rethink a couple of my pre-game strategies.

Malorian
27-05-2009, 15:55
As for not taking him at all, I did think about that after the game, but he prevented more carnage than 115 pts of anything else I could think of would have.

But did he prevent 115 points being killed?

Magic defense can be expensive and at times the amount of models your opponent would kill if you didn't have extra magic defense is less than the models you could pay with those same points. Not to mention what happens when you pay for magic defense and your opponent has no magic at all (I my group you can't change lists).

Just keep in mind that things can quickly change if you are hit by something like black horror or spirit of the forge... (although the odds of a hero mage casting one of those killer spells is fairly low).